Author Topic: Cordless/DECT phones - additional handsets  (Read 1025 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Cordless/DECT phones - additional handsets
« on: 06 September, 2021, 07:10:17 pm »
We have a 3 station cordless landline in the house - one of the charging cradles has packed up and there is no replacement available - it's a cheapie Binatone from Argos.

I've just ordered a new Panasonic cheapie 3 unit set up from Mr Lewis's emporium - does anyone know if it's possible to get one of the old Binatone units to register with the new Panasonic set and thus make 4 handsets?     I read somewhere that you can but can't remember.

It's not mission critical otherwise I'd have bought a 4 unit - but a phone in my workshop would be handy.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Cordless/DECT phones - additional handsets
« Reply #1 on: 08 September, 2021, 09:43:59 am »
I've got a mixed DECT stable - Panasonic and, er, Motorola in my case.  It 'just works' without any special setup required.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #2 on: 09 September, 2021, 06:57:27 am »
I've done the same in the past - the only issue I had was that whilst the basic phone functionality works, the extended functions (intercom and answerphone, IIRC - maybe caller ID? It's a few years ago) were manufacturer specific. So for a phone to just answer and make calls it is fine.

You should be able to put five or six handsets onto the base, so you can use both of your working old ones. If there any problems, you can always just plug the base unit for your old phones in to the phone line alongside the new.

robgul

« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2021, 07:27:09 am »
I've done the same in the past - the only issue I had was that whilst the basic phone functionality works, the extended functions (intercom and answerphone, IIRC - maybe caller ID? It's a few years ago) were manufacturer specific. So for a phone to just answer and make calls it is fine.

You should be able to put five or six handsets onto the base, so you can use both of your working old ones. If there any problems, you can always just plug the base unit for your old phones in to the phone line alongside the new.

I've had no success with just powering up the old units . . . but your last sentence suggestion may be an answer ... just need to find a phone socket doubler (can't recall using one since we had a dial-up modem on the POTS line!)

« Reply #4 on: 09 September, 2021, 05:27:03 pm »
Surely you need to pair / register the old handsets with the new basestation?

Which might be an obvious menu option or might be a secret turn off and on while simultaneously pressing certain buttons type affair, and may or may not be explained in the manual or manufacturer's website

robgul

« Reply #5 on: 09 September, 2021, 05:43:25 pm »
Surely you need to pair / register the old handsets with the new basestation?

Which might be an obvious menu option or might be a secret turn off and on while simultaneously pressing certain buttons type affair, and may or may not be explained in the manual or manufacturer's website

There is nothing obvious in either set of phones or the manuals, or Google results - bear in mind they're pretty basic . . .  - it's just a nice-to-have so if it doesn't work, so what!