Author Topic: Powerpoint. Probably again  (Read 4210 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Powerpoint. Probably again
« on: 28 April, 2022, 10:35:40 pm »
Just been using Powerpoint to recreate a style for a presentation.

I think if you set 8 people in a room for three weeks to come up with something less intuitive and harder to make the transaction between concept and reality,

They'd fail.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

Re: Powerpoint. Probably again
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2022, 12:30:07 am »
It truly is the worst software ever.

« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2022, 08:58:31 am »
PowerPoint is a perfect example of how the world has evolved.  So many worthless, stupid and frankly unnecessary functions and features but sadly lacking in the most important areas:  usability.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2022, 09:20:24 am »
It truly is the worst software ever.

No.  No, it is not.  Because that honour belongs to Acronis True Image >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2022, 10:00:37 am »
I used to be able to get away with Keynote, which is a nice presentation tool, does all the things you'd expect in a reasonable and intuitive manner. As with all software, they'd occasionally move or remove something to keep users on their toes, but generally creating a presentation was quick and easy, didn't involve days of sweary, frustrated mayhem, and even a fair amateur could produce something that looked, well, presentable.

Powerpoint is the exact opposite. Ill-suited for producing presentations, and even less suited for the numerous other applications people use it for. Basic functionality like resolution and device independence, support for PDFs, simply isn't there. That fucking ribbon, the way functions are randomly squirrelled away in the last place you would look, and constant changing focus than ensures whatever function you wanted next, moves instantly from one click away to several. Design templates, styles, etc. who knows, they're there, but are so complex, counterintuitive and dysfunctional, no one can use them.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2022, 10:37:11 am »
All presentations should consist of no more than five slides, and they should all be pictures.  I try to stick with that.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2022, 11:14:41 am »
All presentations should consist of no more than five slides, and they should all be pictures.  I try to stick with that.

A 10 year old could produce more interesting powerpoints than me.

Had a major presentation to deliver to senior staff, going over why my project was in such a mess. Worked on it for ages over the weekend, graphs etc.

Lost the entire presentation.

So cobbled together a few slides of bullet points (each stating a major point), then talked through it. Was told it was a really good presentation.

???
<i>Marmite slave</i>

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2022, 02:38:29 pm »
Rule 1 of using Powerpoint*.  Don't use Powerpoint.

Bring back OHPs and graphs badly drawn with a dried out felt pen say I.  Far, far better.

*Other shit, "Death by Slide Display" applications are available.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #8 on: 30 April, 2022, 10:55:31 pm »
The biggest problem with PowerPoint is people cannot use it. They seem to think it is for them to readout loud so they do.
I have been known to interrupt and ask someone to stop talking as it is quicker for me just to read the slide and move on. A good way to upset managers!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #9 on: 30 April, 2022, 11:09:17 pm »
Sitting through a PPT which is just slides of dense text and having the presenter just read it to you is the worst thing ever.

You know, I learned to read in primary school.
What is the actual point in you being here?
What are you adding?

Ask a question, and all they can do is re-read the slide.
No, I can read. I'm asking for clarification and insight.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #10 on: 30 April, 2022, 11:54:35 pm »
The last two points are about poor presentational skills.

I’m on about a truly terrible piece of software. ian has it right; there is a complex, vague, simple, unintuitive, voyage of discovery for functionality. If you manage to negotiate that, you find out that the functionality you have been searching for is barely functioning crap.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #11 on: 01 May, 2022, 07:38:37 am »
Anyone remember Lotus Freelance?  - pretty much the fore-runner of PowerPoint . . .  basic but simple. 

I can remember going on a training course for it in about 1990 when it was THE GREAT NEW THING - times have changed.

« Reply #12 on: 01 May, 2022, 08:41:47 am »
I got an invite to the Shard for breakfast, for an event about computer storage.
For some reason there was no projection screen, so one presenter had to talk without Powerpoint. It was remarkably effective - you had to actually listen to what he said rather than hoover up food and occasionally glance over some slides.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #13 on: 01 May, 2022, 10:47:17 am »
I’m just switching to Keynote and Pages as both are nicer to use; hopefully their Office conversion will work for when I can’t share as a PDF.

ian

« Reply #14 on: 02 May, 2022, 08:41:22 pm »
I got an invite to the Shard for breakfast, for an event about computer storage.
For some reason there was no projection screen, so one presenter had to talk without Powerpoint. It was remarkably effective - you had to actually listen to what he said rather than hoover up food and occasionally glance over some slides.

Back in my Tidy Haired Thought Leadership days I’d regularly present sans materials. Some cloudy minded fiends might allege that was simply an excuse for a lack of preparation. I remember at the end of one such presentation being asked by a young lady in the audience if there were ‘any slides?’

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #15 on: 02 May, 2022, 11:04:41 pm »
I’m just switching to Keynote and Pages as both are nicer to use; hopefully their Office conversion will work for when I can’t share as a PDF.

They work reasonably - in that fonts are often a problem, and animations rarely look as cool in PPT as they do in Keynote. That's because PPT animations are crap.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #16 on: 03 May, 2022, 05:43:25 am »

They work reasonably - in that fonts are often a problem, and animations rarely look as cool in PPT as they do in Keynote. That's because PPT animations are crap.

Thanks that’s good to know although it will mainly be static rather than animated as I use it as a layout tool as much as for presentations. But that was as much to overcome Word’s shortcomings; perhaps it’s easier with Pages.

« Reply #17 on: 03 May, 2022, 07:42:33 am »
We use Google's office replacement at work. The presentation bit is mostly acceptable, though I'm of the "don't distract the audience with gimmicks" (or lots of words) school of slide making. My biggest gripe is that the button for "give the presentation" is occasionally confused for a something else.

The collaboration side works at least as well as using latex and git, which is good as many presentations at work are shared authorship and reviewed / edited. The review step actually works quite well - the extra effort means there are rarely awful presentations consuming the time of large sections of engineering. Though there had been a bit of "look how sparkly my keynote is" creeping in.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ian

« Reply #18 on: 03 May, 2022, 09:33:24 am »
You can separate the problems with presentation style from Powerpoint – which just does nothing right, despite the presenters best efforts.

Using Word at the moment, it's not much better, still in 2022, it can't reasonably handle image placement.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #19 on: 03 May, 2022, 10:04:21 am »
Ah yes, image placement in Word.

Like trying to fit two opposing magnets together.

« Reply #20 on: 03 May, 2022, 04:28:03 pm »

while wearing oven gloves

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21 on: 03 May, 2022, 06:05:01 pm »

and standing up in a hammock
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #22 on: 03 May, 2022, 06:07:22 pm »

and standing up in a hammock
It paints an interesting picture.....
One I'm sadly familiar with.

ian

« Reply #23 on: 03 May, 2022, 08:24:19 pm »
There are only two options for an image in text – either lock it in place and flow text around it, or put it inline with the text so it moves, displacing to the next page as necessary. It's not that hard surely? In Word, it's a nightmare. Pictures inline disappear or move randomly. Anchor seems to mean float and float means anchor. Neither succeed in doing what you want or might expect them to do. Move on image on page 12, images that should be locked in place on pages 2, 45, and 56 will respond to the call and spontaneous relocate. This will cause pictures on pages 53, 69, 71, and 10 to do the same. At the same time, pictures on pages 24, 26 and 66 will simply disappear. They will still be there, but not visible, because that's useful. After you have spent an afternoon fighting this and finally achieved stable blood pressure, you'll save your work and go home. The next time you open the document something will have moved again.

« Reply #24 on: 04 May, 2022, 11:03:00 am »
And another thing....
When I copy and paste from Word into Outlook (or vice-versa) why does it change the font and formatting?
In what way is that useful?
Pls?