Author Topic: Windsor Chester Windsor - facilities  (Read 3182 times)

Windsor Chester Windsor - facilities
« on: 11 September, 2018, 07:22:26 pm »
Newbie here so please be gentle!

Just entered the WCW on June 1st 2019. It states there are sleeping facilities en route so I’m assuming village hall or something along those lines. What do I need to bring for sleeping? Does sleeping facilities literally mean just a roof over your head and therefore you bring sleeping mat, sleeping bag, etc?

alfapete

• Oh dear
Re: Windsor Chester Windsor - facilities
« Reply #1 on: 11 September, 2018, 08:11:41 pm »
You'll get an inflatable bed and a rough blanket or two, same as on LEL. And possibly a wake up call
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #2 on: 11 September, 2018, 08:37:09 pm »
After you've ridden 300k to get there you'll have no trouble sleeping. I had a few hours of excellent kip. Blankets, mattress, grub. Take the absolute minimum.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #3 on: 11 September, 2018, 08:44:18 pm »
What do I need to bring for sleeping? Does sleeping facilities literally mean just a roof over your head and therefore you bring sleeping mat, sleeping bag, etc?

We'll have inflatable beds and blankets at the controls at Hartlebury, Lilleshall and Christleton. The Lilleshall control has an 'annexe' on the return route, about 5km down the road.

There will also be a bag drop to Lilleshall. This means you can drop off a change of clothes at the start, and we'll take your bag to Lilleshall then back to Bray the following morning.

« Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2018, 09:09:48 pm »
If you're really lucky there will be some of Wobbly's Brandified Bread Pudding available.

A couple of helpings of that and you'll sleep anywhere. Even standing up.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #5 on: 11 September, 2018, 09:24:43 pm »
I would recommend bringing an eye mask and ear plugs.  They weigh next to nothing, and make all the difference.

« Reply #6 on: 13 September, 2018, 11:28:32 am »
I would recommend bringing an eye mask and ear plugs.  They weigh next to nothing, and make all the difference.

and a nose peg.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7 on: 13 September, 2018, 11:52:45 am »
After you've ridden 300k to get there you'll have no trouble sleeping.

Not necessarily. Last time, I was cold and wet by the time I reached the sleep stop which made it hard to get comfortable.

Also worth bearing in mind that you shouldn't drink coffee or use any caffeine products for at least four hours before you get to the sleep stop, which is problematic if you need the caffeine to keep you awake to get there...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #8 on: 13 September, 2018, 12:09:48 pm »
After you've ridden 300k to get there you'll have no trouble sleeping.

Not necessarily. Last time, I was cold and wet by the time I reached the sleep stop which made it hard to get comfortable.

..and following on from the above....don't think too hard about why the blanket and airbed you have been given are damp. (another advantage of being quick is you get the  fresh dry blankets)
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #9 on: 13 September, 2018, 04:01:44 pm »
If you're really lucky there will be some of Wobbly's Brandified Bread Pudding available.

A couple of helpings of that and you'll sleep anywhere. Even standing up.

Hmmm. I rather recall the bread pudding at Undulate's National 400.  The riders were leaving Richard's Castle in a rather 'wobbly' fashion shouting at the controller in a rather blurred manner, "you're my best friend you are". 

Wobbly, will you be at Hartlebury too.  Danial has put me down to support Peter Davis who is the controller.   
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10 on: 13 September, 2018, 04:11:33 pm »
Wobbly's Brandified Bread Pudding

Worth the entry fee for this alone.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

whosatthewheel

« Reply #11 on: 13 September, 2018, 05:16:29 pm »

Wobbly, will you be at Hartlebury too.  Danial has put me down to support Peter Davis who is the controller.

... a big crowd of us then...  ;D

« Reply #12 on: 13 September, 2018, 06:27:02 pm »
I was at the Christleton control in 2015, and made a fairly comprehensive film about it, which will give an indication of the facilities, as well as the range of bikes used. One thing no-one has mentioned yet are the ants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2lmbVg4gMI

« Reply #13 on: 15 September, 2018, 10:20:19 am »
The ants!
The shivering!
I can't believe I'm coming back for more after watching this video.

I was at the Christleton control in 2015, and made a fairly comprehensive film about it, which will give an indication of the facilities, as well as the range of bikes used. One thing no-one has mentioned yet are the ants.

« Reply #14 on: 15 September, 2018, 11:50:39 am »
The ants!
The shivering!
I can't believe I'm coming back for more after watching this video.

That video is one of my nods to 'diversity'. The general view of Audax is inherently 'spineist', and fails to acknowledge the role of invertebrates in the whole experience. I'm not going to exclude ants, simply because they're lacking in backbone.

Mammalian chauvinism ensures better representation for cats, dogs and sheep. But I'm constantly aware that there's a whole natural world that we're interacting with, especially when you get a puncture on the Scottish West Coast.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 15 September, 2018, 05:14:11 pm »
And buzzards. They get a lot of press.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #16 on: 15 September, 2018, 07:27:45 pm »

That video is one of my nods to 'diversity'. The general view of Audax is inherently 'spineist', and fails to acknowledge the role of invertebrates in the whole experience. I'm not going to exclude ants, simply because they're lacking in backbone.

Mammalian chauvinism ensures better representation for cats, dogs and sheep. But I'm constantly aware that there's a whole natural world that we're interacting with, especially when you get a puncture on the Scottish West Coast.

Being careful not to exclude those born as mammals but choosing to identify as reptile (Trumpus trumpus)

« Reply #17 on: 15 September, 2018, 10:25:24 pm »

Being careful not to exclude those born as mammals but choosing to identify as reptile (Trumpus trumpus)

I've had a couple of references to the Donald on video, but no actual sightings.

I did get the President of Randonneurs USA, Rob Hawks, comparing French villages to Penguins on PBP, and a reference to the hilliness of Windsor-Chester-Windsor from Idai Makaya, on a film I called 'Tales from Randonesia'.

Randonesia is a compound word from Randonneur, and Amnesia. Obviously there's a reflection of the idea that long rides are like childbirth, so I like the reference at the end, which applies to those repeating the experience.

But there's also a sense in which you have to blind yourself to the scale of the task in hand to be able to undertake it. There's only so much detail that's useful once the craziness takes hold.

Clearly there's a long buildup to events, and there's plenty of time to reflect on what happened, but I'm most interested in how people behave during the event, when both PBP and Windsor Chester Windsor are seen as hilly.