Author Topic: Frame Bags  (Read 1650 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Frame Bags
« on: 18 July, 2016, 04:34:36 pm »
What are frame bags like when riding in a crosswind? 

Does everything fall to the bottom and stick out and hit your legs? 

Do they alter the bike handling, can you feel the difference from panniers?

What do you carry in yours?
Milk please, no sugar.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Frame Bags
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2016, 05:10:59 pm »
The first question came up in a thread recently, when I said the idea of all that side area put me off them. I hate side winds (and head winds, come to that) as it is. The answer from those who've used them was that they have less effect than panniers (which was no good to me cos I was comparing them, mentally, with saddle bags, but might be relevant to you – though the capacity seems more like a large saddlebag than a pannier, I think).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2016, 06:42:41 pm »
Thing that puts me off frame bags is that you then need to find somewhere to put the water...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2016, 07:00:57 pm »
I think you can get them made with cut outs to go round water bottles.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2016, 09:24:06 pm »
I use a Revelate tangle bag thats a good bit of kit. You can still squeeze 2x500ml water bottles under it on my rig.
The down side is it takes up the room used for a frame pump. (which is too big to go inside the bag)
In conjunction with top tube bags,( one front and one forward of the seat post, called cockpit and gas can, I think) you can stash a lot of gear and stay aero.
Feedbags strapped to the handlebars and frames can also be used to carry water bottles, but you do start to get into velcro dramas with all of the above strapped on, particularly if you have Di2 and a junction box under the handlebar stem.

happy to post a pic of my set up if someone clues me in on how to post a photo. (cave man)
often lost.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #5 on: 18 July, 2016, 09:28:19 pm »
No noticeable impact in crosswinds.

Good for modular clothing options and stuff you want fast (so mine has arm warmers, leg warmers, long finger gloves etc).

A wildcat custom bag with side loading bottle cages solves the water issue.

Big fan.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!