Author Topic: ele tag does not exist  (Read 2374 times)

ele tag does not exist
« on: 21 July, 2022, 06:27:56 pm »
I have just splashed out on a Mio Cyclo 210 as a solution to out GPS navigation issues.  I know it's not all singing all dancing but it seemed according to the reviews to be more touring navigating orientated rather than performance.

Anyways, it has the option to upload tracks to it but they fail because there is no ele tag in the gpx file.  Not surprising I suppose as it's generated from a map.

A track taken from a device uploads fine.

Is there a way to insert an ele tag that would trick it into accepting an ele less gpx file?

Thanks

Re: ele tag does not exist
« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2022, 06:50:46 pm »
It might be easier to use a mapping software that does include the elevation when exporting a GPX. For example, RideWithGPS.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #2 on: 21 July, 2022, 06:58:35 pm »
Yeah, but I was hoping to use all my legacy tracks.

« Reply #3 on: 21 July, 2022, 07:03:55 pm »
The GPS Visualizer convert tool has an option to add elevation data. https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

« Reply #4 on: 21 July, 2022, 07:05:42 pm »
Load your legacy tracks into RideWithGPS. Use the replace elevation function and then export.

« Reply #5 on: 21 July, 2022, 07:14:14 pm »
Thanks both, in the best tradition of reviews, not tried it yet but sounds good!

Thank you

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2022, 08:55:35 pm »
Load your legacy tracks into RideWithGPS. Use the replace elevation function and then export.

This ^^^^

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 21 July, 2022, 09:40:10 pm »
Anyways, it has the option to upload tracks to it but they fail because there is no ele tag in the gpx file.  Not surprising I suppose as it's generated from a map.

Not surprising that there aren't any, but bafflingly stupid of whoever wrote the device software to require them.

I mean, sure it may have some feature that makes use of the elevation in the imported track (like that summit-marking thing that Garmins sometimes do), but it's hardly difficult to assume an elevation of zero when parsing the XML.  It's not like hand-drawn or map-derived tracks are rare in the real world.   ::-)

« Reply #8 on: 22 July, 2022, 09:56:59 am »
Only had a chance to try with one track using GPS Visualiser and it worked fine.  I notice it looks as though it is possible to convert multiple tracks in one go.  That'll be useful.