Author Topic: Use of Telegram (app) for business promotion?  (Read 787 times)

Use of Telegram (app) for business promotion?
« on: 19 August, 2020, 01:49:04 pm »
I do a bit of social media posting for a one man firm in a niche business-to-business environment.
He's suddenly keen to use a Telegram Channel as a promotional tool.
My perception based on a quick look around Telegram is that it's populated mainly by Russian & Indian users, and a LOT of the channels appear to be far-right loonies. Hardly his target audiences.
I'm seriously unconvinced that he's right when he says that he wants to be in 'on the ground floor' and to grab this 'great free opportunity'. I am concerned that there is a danger of his business being tainted by the weirdness of some of the channels, let alone that he won't attract any potential clients.
He'll pay me no matter what, but am I wasting my time, and is he wasting his money - is there a real danger of taint or am I being paranoid?
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Use of Telegram (app) for business promotion?
« Reply #1 on: 19 August, 2020, 01:51:35 pm »
I do a bit of social media posting for a one man firm in a niche business-to-business environment.
He's suddenly keen to use a Telegram Channel as a promotional tool.
My perception based on a quick look around Telegram is that it's populated mainly by Russian & Indian users, and a LOT of the channels appear to be far-right loonies. Hardly his target audiences.
I'm seriously unconvinced that he's right when he says that he wants to be in 'on the ground floor' and to grab this 'great free opportunity'. I am concerned that there is a danger of his business being tainted by the weirdness of some of the channels, let alone that he won't attract any potential clients.
He'll pay me no matter what, but am I wasting my time, and is he wasting his money - is there a real danger of taint or am I being paranoid?

I dunno about taint, but I'm not sure what he's expecting to see from telegram. It's a chat platform, not a social media tool... That's like trying to advertise on IRC...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2020, 02:12:42 pm »
Quote from: A mate
Telegram? Are you a drug dealer or having an affair?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2020, 02:37:40 pm »
I dunno about taint, but I'm not sure what he's expecting to see from telegram. It's a chat platform, not a social media tool... That's like trying to advertise on IRC...

Which can be done, in a roundabout sort of way, if you impress the locals by using it competently as a support channel.

Not really what I'd call 'advertising' thobut.

« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2020, 02:50:52 pm »
I can see how Telegram could be a tool for communicating with specific user groups or something.  A closed environment where customers can discuss stuff amongst themselves and with the company. I wouldn't call it advertising, but as a customer engagement tool, it can make sense for companies that want to grow a community. There are tons of tools being used for similar purposes whether it's dedicated forums, closed Facebook groups, Slack, Discord, Whatsapp, etc, but I've not heard of it being used in a B2B sense, I've only ever encountered it in a B2C sense.
Personally, for secure instant messaging with group functionality, I use Signal. :)