Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3888982 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23700 on: 14 July, 2020, 11:41:29 pm »
Nipped in to Richmond Park to celebrate the re-opening of the 'eastern roads'.
I had an errand to run to Sheen today and was delighted to find that the 'Eastern roads' were open.

Richmond Park is an absolute delight when there's no cars there.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #23701 on: 14 July, 2020, 11:51:21 pm »
More tilebagging in the badlands of the north.  I brought the wrong shoes for the COR section.  (I also brought the wrong bike for the COR section.)
As someone who hails from North of where I think you reside, I'm intrigued by your "badlands" excursion.  I rode from Reading to Wolverhampton last year for my brother's birthday and even I was scared in places... but that's what happens when you become a southern softie :facepalm:

Strava request to follow inbound...

BR Chris

(just a black country bloke... not a stalker)
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23702 on: 15 July, 2020, 12:00:35 am »
I made good use of the low traffic during the lockdown to bag the urban tiles northwest of Birmingham that I didn't already have.  Unfortunately, if you want to bag the suburban/rural ones beyond, you've still got to cross the badlands.  (Northwest is worse, as you've also got bastard hills.)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #23703 on: 15 July, 2020, 12:03:54 am »
Cracking day out, al fresco ice creams were taken at Meigle 42km joining the berry pickers in the seated area near the shop (we were too late in setting off to catch the joinery café open.

Ice cream you say... Shorter queues* than StAndrews no doubt? You may have given me the excuse I need to cross the Sidlaws for the first time in ages... And tile bag.

* Aparently it's an hour long wait for cheesy toast and ice cream at East sands, janettas queue is down at the west port and Luvians** is probably being ignored as usual.

** if anyone asks how you avoid ice cream queues in St Andrews I didn't tell...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23704 on: 15 July, 2020, 08:46:08 am »
More tilebagging in the badlands of the north.  I brought the wrong shoes for the COR section.  (I also brought the wrong bike for the COR section.)

Google thinks you mean teabagging. Good idea.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #23705 on: 15 July, 2020, 09:35:20 am »
I've been out on a 16 mile-ish route on the Windcheetah and the Orbea soot bike and recorded quite good speeds, so thought I would take the Dave Hinde time trial bike out to put in a really fast one.

Got onto the long straight road to the next village, but nothing felt right - more traffic than I expected, road felt more uneven, nothing was comfortable, so I turned round when I got to the level crossing and headed home.  :( :( :(
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

bairn again

« Reply #23706 on: 15 July, 2020, 11:21:04 am »
Cracking day out, al fresco ice creams were taken at Meigle 42km joining the berry pickers in the seated area near the shop (we were too late in setting off to catch the joinery café open.

Ice cream you say... Shorter queues* than StAndrews no doubt? You may have given me the excuse I need to cross the Sidlaws for the first time in ages... And tile bag.

* Aparently it's an hour long wait for cheesy toast and ice cream at East sands, janettas queue is down at the west port and Luvians** is probably being ignored as usual.

** if anyone asks how you avoid ice cream queues in St Andrews I didn't tell...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Aye its maybe a good idea to avoid the tourist traps for a while. 

I like Meigle as the masses have taken the A90 and you can choose between the Spar shop & the Joinery cafe when you get there 

On Sunday we got there too late for the cafe (opening 10 - 3 at the moment but clearly that's likely to change - they appear to use facebook to provide latest updates) so ice cream was simply from the Spar shop so no queue.  My mint Magnum was no less enjoyable for it though! 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23707 on: 15 July, 2020, 11:37:05 am »
Yes, yes I have. Cycled along the Stroudwater canal path from Eastington to Chalford and back. Apparently my first ride for three years. Very much enjoyed it.
That's a nice ride! I don't think I've followed it as far east as Chalford. Or if I have, it was back in the 20th century when most of it was filled in. It's so much better now.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #23708 on: 15 July, 2020, 12:12:19 pm »
I made good use of the low traffic during the lockdown to bag the urban tiles northwest of Birmingham that I didn't already have.  Unfortunately, if you want to bag the suburban/rural ones beyond, you've still got to cross the badlands.  (Northwest is worse, as you've also got bastard hills.)

Are those bastard hills Cannock Chase way, or the ones of the Black Country badlands? Thankfully I'm close enough to the badlands' edge that I can be in the lanes in 15 if I go NE or ENE; going west involves braving Wolverhampton or dog-legging around it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23709 on: 15 July, 2020, 12:33:13 pm »

Are those bastard hills Cannock Chase way, or the ones of the Black Country badlands? Thankfully I'm close enough to the badlands' edge that I can be in the lanes in 15 if I go NE or ENE; going west involves braving Wolverhampton or dog-legging around it.

The Black Country.  Especially that really big one they built the Netherton Tunnel under.  I haven't got as far as Cannock on a tilebagging mission yet (though I already have most of the Cannock Chase area covered).

My normal riding involves heading south, where I'm in the lanes after about 5km.  For obvious reasons, I've got more tiles in that direction.

« Reply #23710 on: 15 July, 2020, 04:05:22 pm »
First group ride on circular ride to St. Ives following lockdown which was most enjoyable. Surprisingly busy traffic but we managed to avoid any rain despite the ominous looking backdrop. Approx 50km.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #23711 on: 15 July, 2020, 07:06:48 pm »
Went for 30km after work, which included two savage climbs which both ramp over 20% the first hits 30% for a nudge. Nearly puked, then went the a local* pub for a pint of local** beer

* most of the people turned their heads and looked at me funny
** within 10km of my doorstep

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23712 on: 16 July, 2020, 09:35:48 pm »
55 miles.  Rear tube blew at Lechlade while bike was standing outside shop.  Tyre sidewall had big hole (flint?).  Today was the first time I carried a Park tyre boot for 15 years.  What are the odds?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #23713 on: 17 July, 2020, 09:04:15 pm »
Took the tandem to Princes Risborough to ride the Phoenix Way to Thame, and stopped for pre-booked lunch at the Three Horseshoes in Towersey on the way back; first post-lockdown meal out.

Expected it to be busy on such a fine day, but only two other dining parties in the garden, and didn't see anyone go inside.

On the drive back round the Amersham bypass met a convoy of police vehicles, Range Rovers, and a Jaguar. Presumably our inglorious leader heading to Chequers for the weekend.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #23714 on: 17 July, 2020, 09:29:14 pm »
Every hill with an arrow (14%+ gradient) on the Winchester & Basingstoke 1:50,000 Ordnance Survey map.  Why?  Because

Lynch Lane in West Meon was the steepest.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #23715 on: 18 July, 2020, 08:40:39 am »
Rode out to the jubilee river to see the comet. Despite light pollution of slough saw it using a pair of small binoculars 🙂 .
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #23716 on: 19 July, 2020, 09:27:36 am »
I did 220km (3000m) yesterday. Started with 2 mates I've not seen since before lockdown.

From Sheffield out to Buxton taking lots of savage back lanes, up Axe Edge down through Longnor.

I then split from my friends and headed up Rowsley Bar which is closed for roadworks but it being Saturday there was no working going on, had to lift round a few barriers.

I continued east, south of Chesterfield towards Sherwood and looped back and came through Clumber Park, through Bolsover and back into Sheffield via lanesTM

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #23717 on: 19 July, 2020, 10:58:17 am »
Absolutely wonderful day out with the boy yesterday. We set off about 9am (his idea of "early") and headed out through Canterbury. It was very much a case of making up the route as we went along - his repertoire is fairly limited so he wanted me to show him some nice roads to increase his local knowledge. Thought about going via Petham and over Kingsmill Down but opted for the route through Lower Hardres via Stelling Minnis to Lyminge. I fancied the nice long descent into Sandgate that features on the Fairies 300, but I couldn't quite remember the way so we ended up in Hythe instead.

From there, we basically followed NCN2 through Folkestone to Dover. On a beautiful sunny July day, it was glorious. The climb out of Folkestone is always a slog, especially in the heat, but there's no easy way to avoid it. We stayed on the NCN2 path as it went offroad from Capel, though I warned the boy it was likely to be rough in places... shows what I know! It has obviously been upgraded since the last time I rode it. It's all chipseal, though, so a fair bit of loose fine gravel in places, but as long as you moderate your speed it's safe enough, and mostly very pleasant to ride on. And the views are just marvellous.

I've never been able to find a satisfactory route through Dover. It is not a town whose roads have been designed with cyclists in mind, and the awful one-way system further complicates matters. I thought I'd try following the NCN2 signs and seeing where they took us... Heading into Dover, the 'safe' route is well signposted, so you avoid sharing the dual carriageway with lorries heading down to the docks. But then it all goes to pot, and the signs are either confusing or just plain missing. (To further confuse matters, NCN2 ends here and the coastal route becomes NCN1.) We ended up down by the Eastern Docks with NCN1 signs to Deal pointing basically straight up the cliff... It's a narrow path, shared with pedestrians, and with several flights of steps. Totally impossible to ride up even if the gradient weren't knee-bustingly steep. It's a real bugbear of mine when cycle routes are uncyclcable - they really shouldn't be allowed to designate them as cycle routes.1

Anyway, after getting off and pushing for a few hundred metres, we were back on the road, and it turned out we might have dodged a bullet because there was an insane queue of cars trying to get into the White Cliffs NT visitor centre at the top, which we would have had to negotiate if we'd stuck to the road route.

On the plus side, it meant the road along the cliffs to St Margarets was nice and empty. From there, we took the offroad route down to Kingsdown and along the coastal road through Walmer to Deal. With 80km done, we thought it was a good time to stop for sustenance, so treated ourselves to sausage sandwiches from the Sea Cafe, eaten sitting on the grass and soaking up the sunshine.

I gave the boy the option of taking the inland route home from Deal but he was keen to add some extra miles to the route, so we carried on across the golf course, through Sandwich, up to Minster and through Birchington to Minnis Bay, then the sea wall path to Reculver - with the merciful blessing of a favourable wind, although it was too busy to get up any speed.

At Reculver, we had a brief conflab about whether to head directly home or stop off at Goody Ales to take advantage of Kent's Biggest Beer GardenTM. Bit of a no-brainer, really. And we got there just as they were cracking open a brand-new barrel of Good Knight, a seasonal hoppy bitter, which absolutely hit the spot and went down far too easily. So we had another. Could happily have had a third but could feel the first two already going to my head so decided against.

The final choice to be made was whether we took the road route home or the shortcut through the woods. On 25c tyres? Had to be the woods, of course. And it was a real blast.

Ended up with 127km in the bag. According to Strava, that is by some distance the longest ride I've done since 27 April 2019. And for the boy, it was his longest ride ever (by a matter of about 10km) - and he was absolutely full of it. He particularly enjoyed the fact that we saw three castles on the way (Dover, Deal and Walmer).

1 On interrogating a map when I got home, I worked out where we went wrong - there is in fact an alternative NCN1 on-road route through central Dover and up Castle Hill, which is what I was hoping to find (for anyone who is interested, click here and select the option to show cycle routes). Just wish it had been better signposted! Though I do fear that in light of the news about losing NCN routes that follow busy roads, the way up Castle Hill will be declassified.  :facepalm:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #23718 on: 19 July, 2020, 11:07:35 am »

Google thinks you mean teabagging. Good idea.

Somehow I can't imagine teabagging being Kim's... er... cup of tea.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #23719 on: 19 July, 2020, 11:38:07 am »
Every hill with an arrow (14%+ gradient) on the Winchester & Basingstoke 1:50,000 Ordnance Survey map.  Why?  Because

Just for a laugh I plotted the 4 arrows closest to the corners of the Gloucester & FoD (sheet 162); 204km / 2300m which sounds a good day out.  However, there's dozens and dozens more to add to do as you did.

Yesterday for me was a fairly unpleasant loop north out of the forest using part of the Lumpy Scrumpy route.  On the way out this includes a descent of Summer House Pitch and continues through Hope Mansell, an absolutely hideous 4km on 2 layers of chipseal (50% gone) over crumbling concrete. 
Humid, sweaty and fighting cramp in both legs the final 15k.  I even skipped the pint in Parkend I'd been looking forward to all the way round for fear of seizing solid if I stopped.

2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #23720 on: 19 July, 2020, 12:20:06 pm »
Route checked my Bens, Glens, Thrills and Hills audax.
I am hopeful this will go ahead.  It was a nice day for a ride out anyway. Its hilly, and because of a road closure to Callander I went over the Dukes.   This gave me 9 climbs for the day,  1) Crow rd 2) Top of the world (which isnt) 3) Dukes pass 4) Glen Ogle 5) Kenmore 6) Muthill 7) Sherriffmuir 8 ) North Third 9) Crow rd.  Toughest was North Third.

bairn again

« Reply #23721 on: 19 July, 2020, 12:56:35 pm »
I was up before sunrise yesterday to do my favourite ride a one way 200k from Edinburgh to Aberdeen.

“Night afore” revellers were mooching around Drum Brae Maccy Ds (nae chance hen) and despite giving them a wide berth one ran after me so i put the foot down to avoid any antics.

A beautiful sunrise to my right appeared over the Forth Rail Bridge, sadly my tight schedule a requisite of my pre booked 1452 train meant no pics as I wanted to keep pressing on until the finish line was much closer.

Id breakfasted at 4am and left at 0415 so by Scone (70k) I was hungry enough to stop.  Quick canned frappe anna pastry, and a bottle of juice for my bag gave me hope Id not need another shop stop. I left Scone bang on 3 hrs, having already built up a nice time buffer.  This was a bit like an audax. 

It started warming up a bit but not enough for my arm/leg warmers to come off, though i know my threshold in such matters is quite high at ~ 18 deg.  I was taking the shortest practical route so I stayed on the A94 to Kinrossie and rejoined it at Glamis, both of which are avoidable by adding km.  This version of the ride is also a bit lumpier with c 1900km of climbing.

I struggled a bit on the drag out of Forfar to Brechin, but reassured myself that the time buffer was adequate enough to cater for cack climbing.  Back pocket bananas were guzzled on the descent to Edzell but after the long straight to the town I knew I needed 5 mins off the bike so I rested up for 5 mins in the park.  I left Edzell (140km) bang on 6 hours so things were looking good, but I knew there were lumps to come before and after Stoney.

Before Fettercairn, I could see the Cairn o Mount road (of Snow Roads fame) shining in the distance.  Not today my friend, after the Fettery arch I was heading to Auchenblae with its unfeasibly steep main street and a shop that appears to exist at random. 

The tailwind (that ive not mentioned til now) kept helping on the road to Stoney, a popular cycling road, and the contrast was stark between folk coming towards me and folk going the same way ie overtaking me. I checked the time in Stonehaven and it was 1200 so Id the best part of 3 hrs for 25-30km depending on which way I went.

The lumps had taken their toll and I really struggled up Mains of Ury.  I didnt track this ride as I knew the way and wanted to save phone juice but the advantage is that its spared my blushes on how slow I was here.  Id describe it as “a slug in maple syrup”.  The traffic on the road between Stoney and Peterculter was reasonably quiet, the AWPR has at least one advantage!  I topped up the tanks with some back pocket belvita bicccies on the flat bits where the tailwind was now very evident. 

The number of fast cars on the south deeside road made my mind up that Id go up Milltimber Brae and head into the Granite city on the north road which is wider and has a notional bike path.  Plenty cyclists on this stretch too and I counted down the distance thro Bieldside & Cults into Aberdeen.  I passed the closed Ashvale  :'( and reached Union Square just before 1315 so sub 9 hrs for 207km.  Not bad, but the tailwind did most of the work. 

I got changed in the station bogs and took advantage of the pop up beer garden that Brewdog have set up directly outside.  This was perfect to rehydrate and keep an eye on the bike. 

I masked up and got the train home.  Id pre booked my ticket and bike space with LNER who had assured me that Id be welcome and wasnt breaking any rules (once they had got their head round the idea of cycling Edi - Abd in a morning).  The train was super quiet and although Id paid top dollar for my ticket I can only imagine how much of a loss they are running at what with no catering and limited numbers.  Scotrail appear to be even more strict at the moment. 

Grand day out though every step along the way there were reminders of how life has changed so significantly.  Still I can do a bike ride, get a beer at the finish and catch a train home so its not all bad.

Route here https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33268907

Im likely to be in Fort William on 1 August so im planning to do a very beautiful DIY that day. 

citoyen

« Reply #23722 on: 19 July, 2020, 01:09:40 pm »
Grand day out though every step along the way there were reminders of how life has changed so significantly.  Still I can do a bike ride, get a beer at the finish and catch a train home so its not all bad.

Sounds great.  :thumbsup:

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #23723 on: 19 July, 2020, 01:31:56 pm »
25 miles this morning. Longest ride of this challenging year, but lovely, even with The Hill in Cromford (not my emphasis: that's what it's called).  :thumbsup:
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #23724 on: 19 July, 2020, 03:26:02 pm »

Just for a laugh I plotted the 4 arrows closest to the corners of the Gloucester & FoD (sheet 162); 204km / 2300m which sounds a good day out.  However, there's dozens and dozens more to add to do as you did.

Yesterday for me was a fairly unpleasant loop north out of the forest using part of the Lumpy Scrumpy route.  On the way out this includes a descent of Summer House Pitch and continues through Hope Mansell, an absolutely hideous 4km on 2 layers of chipseal (50% gone) over crumbling concrete. 
Humid, sweaty and fighting cramp in both legs the final 15k.  I even skipped the pint in Parkend I'd been looking forward to all the way round for fear of seizing solid if I stopped.

I've now plotted the same thing for all 36 arrows (2 of which are double indicating 20%+) on Ordnance Survey Map 174 (Newbury and Wantage) - but that weighs in at 298km (might be reduced with some tweaking) and over 4000m ascent, so that will need 15 hours somewhen.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)