Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1165779 times)

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #4425 on: 02 October, 2011, 10:11:07 am »
Also, although they can't cut MFWHTBAB's odd chubb key, they've suggested someone who can, on Walmgate.

Now this I like, a lot of places would just say "Sorry, can't help.", places that actively try to help like this are a very good thing.

Pextons is a very good little shop, hardware mostly, and staff in shop coats. We were amused by their outside display of snow shovels yesterday....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #4426 on: 02 October, 2011, 06:03:27 pm »
When I arrived there this morning, the Bird in Hand at Sonning Common had the toolkit I left in its garden on Wednesday night after fixing the puncture I found I had when leaving.

I now have full on-bike toolkit & the seat pack it lives in restored to me.  :thumbsup:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4427 on: 03 October, 2011, 10:12:33 am »
while i was away in that london, the little elves came and disconnected my borked dishwasher, removed it entirely from my house , put a previously loved but vgc bosch in it's place and connected it all up.  hurray for the little elves!

ok, it was actually crinklyuncle and crinklyauntie  :D

thank you!

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #4428 on: 03 October, 2011, 11:51:00 am »
After seriously falling of the diet wagon this weekend (for the best of reasons), I'm less than a kilo heavier.  Which is very good news as a) I was expecting to be seriously depressed by the bathroom scales this morning and b) I can easily make that back and then some more, this week.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #4429 on: 03 October, 2011, 01:19:08 pm »
I think I may be getting a horsebox to replace the truck-from-hell and trailer!  :)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4430 on: 03 October, 2011, 01:29:55 pm »
I can haz shiny new laptop ;D

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #4431 on: 04 October, 2011, 10:08:00 pm »
6 years of overpaid tax heading my way as a refund. That was a well worthwhile letter to write.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #4432 on: 05 October, 2011, 09:08:11 am »
i just wore my new x-terrain shoes to do the school run.  this is good news because for the first time in 4 weeks i just tied shoelaces, and it was only mildly uncomfortable!

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #4433 on: 05 October, 2011, 09:29:04 am »
I've just been to the post room to collect a package.

MY CAMBERWICK GREEN DVD HAS ARRIVED!!!  :thumbsup:

Oh Boy!  There's gonna be some quality viewing done in my house tonight 8)

I never realised there were only 13 episodes.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4434 on: 05 October, 2011, 10:06:48 am »
Yay!

13 episodes?  Surely that can't be right?  Perhaps we need to lobby Brian Cant to do some more?
Getting there...

« Reply #4435 on: 05 October, 2011, 12:17:51 pm »
Baby GB's nursery was "Outstanding" in all 17 categories in its most recent OFSTED report. Only one other nursery in the area (of 458) achieved the same top marks. No wonder it's so frighteningly expensive.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4436 on: 05 October, 2011, 12:51:39 pm »
The InBred is back on the road, returned the Shimano centrelock brake rotor, got a refund, and the CL to 6bolt adaptor I ordered yesterday from an ebay seller arrived this morning!

All I need to do now is to find some 34mm ID P-clips so I can fit the front mudguard....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4437 on: 05 October, 2011, 06:11:56 pm »
Yay!

13 episodes?  Surely that can't be right?  Perhaps we need to lobby Brian Cant to do some more?

Most of those series of our pasts were limited like that - we were just happy to watch them over and over! Bagpuss, Mr Benn, etc

I've read that Gordon thingy who made the Trumptonshire Trilogy burnt the models in a fit of something or other, and only one original Pippin Fort soldier survives.

I saw Brian Cant on telly a while back, and he's got very old. Even his voice was old, and voices often don't change so much.

I wonder if we (I'm thinking those of us in our 40s, who grew up with these shows in the 60's and 70's) were the first to have such a rich variety of programmes and performers due to mass TV ownership, and consequently the trauma of seeing our childhood heroes pass on...

Sorry, that's not Good News really is it.  I must be in pensive mood.

I've met Peter Firmin, and thanked him. Alas, Oliver Postgate, who should have been there the same evening, was unwell, so I didn't get the chance to do the same with him. But I did meet Mrs Firmin, who knitted the Clangers.

« Reply #4438 on: 05 October, 2011, 07:31:05 pm »

I have this.
Time flies by when you're the driver on a train, and you ride on the footbridge, there and back again.

My children wont let me watch it.
"It's FREAKY"

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4439 on: 05 October, 2011, 07:32:46 pm »
Surely the train was in Chigley, not Camberwick Green? ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #4440 on: 05 October, 2011, 08:51:15 pm »
I don't think so, because I remember seeing the train quite often, whereas Chigley was the least shown of the three...

<goes to google>

CrinklyLion

« Reply #4441 on: 05 October, 2011, 08:51:41 pm »
found the keys to the bike bunker!

« Reply #4442 on: 05 October, 2011, 08:54:15 pm »
I don't think so, because I remember seeing the train quite often, whereas Chigley was the least shown of the three...

<goes to google>

...and I'm wrong. The train and Lord Belborough were in Chigley.

« Reply #4443 on: 05 October, 2011, 08:58:56 pm »

« Reply #4444 on: 05 October, 2011, 08:59:37 pm »

See.
They wont let me watch it. All I have are distant inaccurate memories.

« Reply #4445 on: 05 October, 2011, 09:55:26 pm »
I had a BT engineer here as my broadband has been even worse than usual (128kpbs is rubbish, but 80 to nothing at all is not acceptable).

He actually listened to me, did a whole load of things, gave me a new hub, changed my socket and worked on something out at the junction box.  He said it'd take some time to reach potential because the line "is so used to running at a certain speed", which sounded like nonsense and I was very unimpressed as it was incredibly slow up to about an hour ago...it's been actually getting better and better.

I just tested my line, and got 960kbps!

Ive NEVER had more than 256 since I got broadband!

;D  I'm a happy bunny, I can actually DO stuff!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4446 on: 05 October, 2011, 10:10:19 pm »
He said it'd take some time to reach potential because the line "is so used to running at a certain speed", which sounded like nonsense and I was very unimpressed as it was incredibly slow up to about an hour ago...it's been actually getting better and better.

Patronising tone aside, that's technically true.  The Dynamic Line Management algorithm waits before increasing the sync speed to avoid the line continually reconnecting at different speeds when there are transient problems (eg. interference).  Additionally, the BRAS rate limiting (an artificial bottleneck further upstream in the network to prevent packet loss where the data meets your line), for reasons known only our-favourite-telco, takes time to catch up with the sync speed, so it may take 24 hours or so for the line to operate at its full potential.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #4447 on: 05 October, 2011, 10:16:10 pm »

I have this.
Time flies by when you're the driver on a train, and you ride on the footbridge, there and back again.

My children wont let me watch it.
"It's FREAKY"

See.
They wont let me watch it. All I have are distant inaccurate memories.
Quite.  It's a footplate, not a footbridge.  ::-)

I'm sure Guy will lend you the DVD when he's done with it.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #4448 on: 05 October, 2011, 10:23:47 pm »
My Sister had them all on video 8). My favourite is the episode where Windy Miller gets drunk - it's brill :D. How they got away with that is anyone's guess!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #4449 on: 05 October, 2011, 10:33:55 pm »
He said it'd take some time to reach potential because the line "is so used to running at a certain speed", which sounded like nonsense and I was very unimpressed as it was incredibly slow up to about an hour ago...it's been actually getting better and better.

Patronising tone aside, that's technically true.  The Dynamic Line Management algorithm waits before increasing the sync speed to avoid the line continually reconnecting at different speeds when there are transient problems (eg. interference).  Additionally, the BRAS rate limiting (an artificial bottleneck further upstream in the network to prevent packet loss where the data meets your line), for reasons known only our-favourite-telco, takes time to catch up with the sync speed, so it may take 24 hours or so for the line to operate at its full potential.

See, if he'd explained it like that, I might even have believed him!  LOL it was the way he said it I think that made me think he was talking a complete load of Horlicks...which made it even more of a pleasure when it started working properly!   ;D

At the rate I'm going, I might even be able to watch the occasional YouTube video without spending half the evening downloading it!