Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1165065 times)

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #5450 on: 28 September, 2012, 07:55:50 am »
(the next time I propose to anyone, I shall make sure to include the words "it is probably about time ..."  ;) )

For best results, such proposals should be accepted with an "I suppose we might as well"  :D

Having previously seen MFWHTBAB say online that 29th of February stuff was all a bit daft and women should be able to ask any time, I prefaced with "So, I know it's all rubbish, but..."
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #5451 on: 28 September, 2012, 08:02:52 am »
Congrats Lady C, Mrs Ham & I did similar 5 years ago, after best part of 20 years. It shouldn't make a difference, but it does. Very happy for you.

PS only downside is Lord C will now have to remember anniversaries.

« Reply #5452 on: 28 September, 2012, 09:42:25 am »
Thanks everyone. And erm, I'm generally just a bit rubbish, and he will be much more likely than me to remember anniversaries.....

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5453 on: 28 September, 2012, 03:35:15 pm »
Good news on two fronts:

1) I did the task I was assigned, on the right servers this time, and didn't break anything
2) It's Friday and thus POETS day, so now I am logged off my work PC and going to sort stuff out ready for tonight.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5454 on: 28 September, 2012, 11:26:35 pm »
Lots of loveliness all round there.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5455 on: 29 September, 2012, 07:12:14 am »
My phone is working at last! After days waiting for it to activate I thought "what if I take the SIM from my iPhone and put it in this old Nokia." The Nokia found the network immediately, put it back in the iPhone and it worked straight away. Now it could be coincidence but I'm not sure???

« Reply #5456 on: 29 September, 2012, 09:55:02 am »
Well, its taken long enough, but on our 14th anniversary yesterday, my fiance decided to actually get round to proposing. I agreed that it is probably about time.......

Just seen this. Congratulations  :thumbsup:

(MrsH thought I took my time with 7 years)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5457 on: 29 September, 2012, 01:00:11 pm »
My shoulder/back pain is minimal today after being bad yesterday and bloody awful on Wednesday.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #5458 on: 29 September, 2012, 05:22:30 pm »
Successfully rode my bike with the new touring pedals "clipped in" and didn't fall off. Happy days.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5459 on: 29 September, 2012, 06:29:36 pm »
My back has stopped stabbing me & locking up whenever I try to move. I can now walk fully upright, & even managed to put my socks on standing up, for the first time since Tuesday morning.

Perhaps the copious quantities of assorted (having checked contra-indications re combinations) painkillers I've been taking since Tuesday combined beneficially with the 5 1/2 pints of bitter I consumed last night (ditto re contra-indications - I decided I could live with 'enhanced effects of alcohol') to relax those tensed-up & spasming muscles.  :thumbsup:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #5460 on: 29 September, 2012, 09:01:58 pm »
Well, its taken long enough, but on our 14th anniversary yesterday, my fiance decided to actually get round to proposing. I agreed that it is probably about time.......

Congratulations.

« Reply #5461 on: 30 September, 2012, 09:34:06 pm »

Ditto many congratulations.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #5462 on: 01 October, 2012, 10:35:29 am »
Good news of a different sort. About 2 weeks ago some miserable bastard mongrel thieves managed to open our "up and over garage door" but we must have startled them (0430am) as they didn't take a thing. My new Spesh Roubaix wasn't secured then.
Cue a call to the locksmith to have a door defender fitted as well as a ground anchor for the bike and a decent lock for the side door.
Yesterday we found the garage door sprung but not opened courtesy of the door defender.

Mongrel bastard thieves left empty handed. Again.  ;D

« Reply #5463 on: 01 October, 2012, 10:43:02 am »
That IS good news reddo.   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5464 on: 02 October, 2012, 11:43:11 am »
Yes - worrying in a general sense, but good in this instance.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5465 on: 02 October, 2012, 03:04:37 pm »

Congratulations  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5466 on: 02 October, 2012, 03:07:00 pm »
Good news of a different sort. About 2 weeks ago some miserable bastard mongrel thieves managed to open our "up and over garage door" but we must have startled them (0430am) as they didn't take a thing. My new Spesh Roubaix wasn't secured then.
Cue a call to the locksmith to have a door defender fitted as well as a ground anchor for the bike and a decent lock for the side door.
Yesterday we found the garage door sprung but not opened courtesy of the door defender.

Mongrel bastard thieves left empty handed. Again.  ;D

That's excellent news, sounds like they might have known your new bike was in there. Hopefully they won't be back.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5467 on: 02 October, 2012, 05:58:10 pm »
My new frame is at the LBS :D :D :D

Now I'm cleaning bits of the old bike because I think it's too dirty to give the shop to swap the bits over :facepalm:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5468 on: 03 October, 2012, 09:51:25 pm »

Ooh, excellent idea.  Readers' socks?

I got a present from my friend.
AOL!  Mind, yours appear to match both your carpet and your rug.  Mine, the colours were specially chosen to clash with Adrian's frame.

They are completely brilliant.
AOL again  :D

Me too!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5469 on: 03 October, 2012, 09:53:39 pm »
You know Crinkles,I don't think I've ever seen you wearing socks

« Reply #5470 on: 04 October, 2012, 06:57:39 am »
YACF continues to push the boundariers of social interaction......
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5471 on: 05 October, 2012, 07:55:05 am »
Mrs T rode the furthest she has ever done last night, 24 miles! And she could still stand at the end of it!!  :thumbsup:

Mrs T's friend, Sue, joined us on the pubbe run and enjoyed it so much she is going to join us again next week, and has said she'll do York runs with us too!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LindaG

« Reply #5472 on: 05 October, 2012, 08:04:45 am »
The lengths of white velcro you get in transducer sets for invasive blood pressure monitoring are perfect for strapping extra bits to the bike frame/luggage. Better than sending 'em straight to landfill too  :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5473 on: 05 October, 2012, 04:31:19 pm »
I have a blister from tieing up faggots, and my trousers are filthy.

But it was nice to spend the day outdoors, and I got home just before the rain started - so a GOOD day.  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5474 on: 05 October, 2012, 06:20:32 pm »
I have a blister from tieing up faggots, and my trousers are filthy.

:o
Getting there...