Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1165597 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #6000 on: 01 September, 2013, 06:26:26 pm »
Patched a tube for a neighbour's hybrid-thingy yesterday; part of a batch of my repairs, so it barely took me 5 minutes.

envelope containing a fiver arrived today  :-[ I guess this will be my 2nd donation to the CDF.

(The key phrase that persuaded me to fix it for her - "No I don't know how to fix it, I'll just drive down to Halfords."  :o )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6001 on: 01 September, 2013, 11:17:09 pm »
In that case the fiver was, if not earned, at least deserved - for saving her far more time and money.
Teach her to patch them herself and you'll deserve a tenner!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #6002 on: 02 September, 2013, 04:18:20 pm »
Big thanks to the Penarth commuter who handed-in my daughter's laptop to Arriva Trains #honestcitizen
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6003 on: 06 September, 2013, 11:58:09 am »
1. It's Friday \o/
2. A box full of porky goodness has just arrived
3. I'm getting a massage at lunchtime
4. It will be gin o'clock in approximately 6 hours
5. We just got given some free chocolate (this has helped to improve my mood enormously)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #6004 on: 17 September, 2013, 11:37:55 am »
Just committed* to n+1, but a one in one out policy means that I'll also have to make some space.

*subject to the project meeting its kickstarter target

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6005 on: 19 September, 2013, 01:43:03 pm »
I spent yesterday morning and an hour of this morning teaching in schools I haven't visited before.

Yesterday's was too intensive for me - three back-to-back hour-long lessons with different Year 3 classes. I was frazzled at the end of it and still had two more hours' teaching to do, in other schools. Year 3 is OK for starting kids off in chess, but some of them are a bit young. In one of the classes I had the teachers playing as well.

Today's was just one hour with 30-odd Year 5s. I had a marvellous time with receptive, sparky kids who were keen to learn. Sadly, I'm only going to that school for 5 weeks as there's another guy shadowing me who is going to take over from half-term.

I just love teaching - as long as there's not some government target to be met.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6006 on: 25 September, 2013, 11:23:25 am »
The roofing firm I have used for eons have replaced a cracked tile on my leaky roof free of charge.  :) :) :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6007 on: 28 September, 2013, 07:43:04 am »
After what seems a lot of years my younger son has printed his PhD thesis ready for submission on Monday.

« Reply #6008 on: 28 September, 2013, 10:44:02 pm »
Good luck to him with the viva.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #6009 on: 29 September, 2013, 06:24:13 pm »
It seems there is hope for finding sociable Dutch cyclists.

Every time I'm out I wave, smile at or nod my head at other cyclists. Always I get ignored. Cyclists passing never glance at me, just power past (and if I try to keep up, they put in a spurt to leave me).

Today as I was cycling with a guitar strapped to my back, I was passed by a club and about 4 or 5 said good morning. As I hooked on the back of their chain gang I got smiles.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6010 on: 30 September, 2013, 09:50:48 pm »
I am given to believe that my younger son, at the tender age of 29 years an 9 days, is technically no longer a student in that he handed in his PhD thesis today, bang on the deadline.

I suppose he will have to sign on now.

Actually, he won't: he does some teaching of undergraduates which earns him enough to keep body and soul together, even though it is a long way from being a full time job. He is looking for full-time work though.

Six years have now passed since he became a BA. He has paid of none of his loan in that time. I have no idea how large it is now. Only another 19 years to go and he won't have to pay off any of it - barring unsporting goalpost-moving on the part of the government.

« Reply #6011 on: 02 October, 2013, 12:09:00 pm »
It seems there is hope for finding sociable Dutch cyclists.

Every time I'm out I wave, smile at or nod my head at other cyclists. Always I get ignored. Cyclists passing never glance at me, just power past (and if I try to keep up, they put in a spurt to leave me).
Do you wave or smile at every pedestrian or motorist you pass when walking or driving? How do you think they would respond if you did?

In the Netherlands, cycling does not make you part of a small group with a feeling of kinship. You're a normal person, a random stranger.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Ruth

« Reply #6012 on: 02 October, 2013, 01:01:35 pm »
I'm always smiling at people when I'm pedestrianing, or driving.  Quite often they smile back.  So what if they don't?

Maybe the Dutch aren't used to people smiling at them, what with the dykes and everything, and don't know how to deal with you?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6013 on: 02 October, 2013, 01:22:49 pm »
I've found my survival-kit-inna-tin :D

Or rather, Chris L OTP has on account of me leaving it in the side pocket of the Carradice bag I sold him  :facepalm:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6014 on: 02 October, 2013, 01:23:52 pm »
Good luck to him with the viva.
This.
Ever so much.

From a viva-survivor :)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #6015 on: 02 October, 2013, 01:24:40 pm »
I'm always smiling at people when I'm pedestrianing, or driving.  Quite often they smile back.  So what if they don't?

Maybe the Dutch aren't used to people smiling at them, what with the dykes and everything, and don't know how to deal with you?
You owe me a new keyboard ;D (I've got a dirty mind ... so sue me ...)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6016 on: 02 October, 2013, 02:32:37 pm »
The dykes have a special nod...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6017 on: 02 October, 2013, 07:09:19 pm »
[probably been posted before, so I won't bother with a new thread:]
From the CTC newsletter thingy:

"
But for one Surrey couple, the Tour was welcomed, even though it caused road closures around their wedding venue. As cyclists themselves, they decided it would be great to have Sir Bradley Wiggins and co. featuring in their wedding photos – not by flagging them down, obviously – but by using the race as a backdrop. Sir Brad is the blur in a gold jersey in the background.
"
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surprise-tour-britain-guests-feature-6085893

ED: er ... misunderstanding alert ... I should say that I have no connection with this event!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6018 on: 03 October, 2013, 12:28:24 pm »
I am going to Germany for a week, a week on Monday.

That's not the good news, though (although it's not too shabby news in itself)

The good news is that work have arrange sensible flights for me this time, from Manchester Airport, not Stansted.

They are also arranging a taxi to collect and return me :)  I should get a snooze on the way there, and on the way home!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #6019 on: 04 October, 2013, 04:21:10 pm »
Observe the name change.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6020 on: 04 October, 2013, 04:22:59 pm »
What parts of you are they correcting? ;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #6021 on: 04 October, 2013, 04:23:27 pm »
Observe the name change.

Congrats. It's not only policemen who seem to be getting younger all the time.

Ruth

« Reply #6022 on: 04 October, 2013, 04:27:08 pm »

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #6023 on: 05 October, 2013, 03:20:27 pm »
Congrats Dr Bunbury! 

« Reply #6024 on: 05 October, 2013, 03:29:21 pm »