Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1165546 times)

fuzzy

Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #6550 on: 25 January, 2016, 11:53:08 am »
No.2 Son got a phone call on Friday, after an interview on the Thursday. They wish him to make use of his Graphic Arts degree for a 3 month contract with the possibility of an extension.

Happy Happy etc.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6551 on: 25 January, 2016, 07:36:26 pm »
No.2 Son got a phone call on Friday, after an interview on the Thursday. They wish him to make use of his Graphic Arts degree for a 3 month contract with the possibility of an extension.

Happy Happy etc.

By coinkidink this came up on arsebook . . .

https://www.facebook.com/MediaCityUKofficial/photos/a.135149406559516.33447.123366194404504/969877179753397/?type=3&theater
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #6552 on: 25 January, 2016, 07:38:30 pm »
I haven't cycle trained for nearly four years, but today I got a text from a trainee asking me to teach her son as he needs some road skills. So I must have done something "right" since she remembered me :)

Of that I would have absolutely no doubt.   :thumbsup:

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #6553 on: 26 January, 2016, 08:43:14 am »
Glad you have what looks like sustained improvement, I think your rest plans are very very wise indeed. Keeping fingers very tightly crossed for you! :)

« Reply #6554 on: 09 February, 2016, 04:18:36 pm »
I've got my laptop back and it WORKS! Yay! Happy dance!

:D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #6555 on: 22 February, 2016, 01:12:48 pm »
I farted today.
Why is that good news?  Because it turned out to be just that.  A fart.
I'm not going to go into detail about how my weekend has been. You really don't want that sort of detail.  :sick:
Suffice to say I think it was food poisoning brought on by a rogue duck egg.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #6556 on: 22 February, 2016, 02:16:17 pm »
I've got my laptop back and it WORKS! Yay! Happy dance!

:D

I won't be getting my laptop back as PC World can't repair it.
But because I took out an "Anything can happen "  (or should it be "Shit happens" ?)  policy whenI bought it, they will replace it like for like even though I have had almost 5 years use out of it.
Even better, the laptop and the policy were paid for by my previous employer .

Off to PC World soon to see what they are offering FOC. Expect to be mildly let down, but who knows?

« Reply #6557 on: 26 February, 2016, 09:35:57 pm »
The Japanese translation agency which sends me translations from Japanese into English* to proofread & do a little light editing of for comprehensibility (& sometimes I do a little extra because I must, absolutely must, make the English less ghastly) asked me to do something different today.

A translation (not one I'd had anything to do with) was rejected by the customer, a fairly good university** which, obviously, has people who know English well. They judged it accurate enough, but too literal a translation, & therefore not reading enough like English written by a native speaker. Having read it, I agree with them.

I was asked to fix it.  :thumbsup: I've been told there should be more of the same. I think this is a promotion.

*And once or twice into Spanish, because they can't find enough Spanish-speakers & are desperate.

**Mrs B says it's middle ranking, but she mentally excludes a lot of the lower ranked institutions officially regarded as universities in Japan.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #6558 on: 02 March, 2016, 11:13:13 am »
We won the jackpot on the pub quiz last night -£144 shared between our team of  two couples.

The jackpot is a series of 5 questions with multi choice answers.
The deciding question last night was which city had the longest established fire brigade? London,Cincinatti or Edinburgh.

Answer
(click to show/hide)

PS . P.C World were good on their promise and we purchased a new i-pad with their payout.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6559 on: 02 March, 2016, 12:25:50 pm »
I guessed you answer correctly on the basis that a city that had a College of Surgeons for over 500 years was likely also to have had other civic institutions.
HD Vecht, FRCSEd

« Reply #6560 on: 02 March, 2016, 01:00:38 pm »
A small thing but vital for my well being, the petrol station shop three miles away has become a Budgens and they sell Clonakilty Black and White Pudding, oh bliss  ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #6561 on: 02 March, 2016, 08:00:04 pm »
I guessed you answer correctly on the basis that a city that had a College of Surgeons for over 500 years was likely also to have had other civic institutions.
HD Vecht, FRCSEd

On the basis that Edinburgh was so far ahead with those sort of things.
Curiously enough when we were up there 2 or 3 weeks ago , son dragged us into town  so that we could buy him some stuff and we went for coffee and caek in a new coffee shop next to the Surgeon's Hall Museum.
His "office" is in the School of Geosciences" on Drummond Street, so it was one of his hangouts, along with the "Brass Monkey"
The coffee shop interior walls had the timeline of the College as a mural.
It struck me that they took a long time to admit women on equal terms.

Did you actually study in Edinburgh  or is the title one bestowed by examinations that are administered by Edinburgh?
(Please excuse my ignorance of the protocols involved.)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6562 on: 02 March, 2016, 10:37:36 pm »
HD Vecht, FRCSEd

Curiously enough when we were up there 2 or 3 weeks ago , son dragged us into town  so that we could buy him some stuff and we went for coffee and caek in a new coffee shop next to the Surgeon's Hall Museum.
His "office" is in the School of Geosciences" on Drummond Street, so it was one of his hangouts, along with the "Brass Monkey"

Did you actually study in Edinburgh  or is the title one bestowed by examinations that are administered by Edinburgh?

Passed expensive exams in 1989 and was handed a letter informing me of my success starting 'Dear Sir'...

I've not been there for a while and was examined in Surgeons' Hall.

I judged equality by placement of the 'washrooms'.
Gents' was on the ground floor by the front door.
Ladies' was either on the top floor or in the dungeon; nice facilities but quite a trek!

« Reply #6563 on: 09 March, 2016, 12:10:45 pm »
Continued run of excellence in the pub quiz.
Joint winners with the prize mmoney amounting to a whopping £3.
But even better , we won a bottle of J.D, two tinnies and a packet of nuts  in the raffle.

And we caught out the quizmaster with this one.

Q. There are three words in the English language that end in -ceed. What are they?

(click to show/hide)
were the ones he wanted ,  but I also wrote another
(click to show/hide)
"No such word" said quizmaster , then he went and googled it . 

« Reply #6564 on: 09 March, 2016, 12:39:24 pm »
HD Vecht, FRCSEd

Passed expensive exams in 1989 and was handed a letter informing me of my success starting 'Dear Sir'...

I've not been there for a while and was examined in Surgeons' Hall.

I judged equality by placement of the 'washrooms'.
Gents' was on the ground floor by the front door.
Ladies' was either on the top floor or in the dungeon; nice facilities but quite a trek!
Perhaps not thought necessary originally, so added much later & squeezed in wherever a corner could be found.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6565 on: 09 March, 2016, 01:18:56 pm »
Making women feel like an afterthought in perpetuity.
The Royal College of Physicians has its Ladies' and Gents' on the ground floor, admittedly in a more modern building.
Surgeons' Hall is not small and putting facilities on the ground floor cannot have been a massive technical challenge.
Having a long trek for a call of nature (and the Clever Surgeons know and examine their members all about the technicalities of these issues) means we know our place.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6566 on: 09 March, 2016, 07:50:40 pm »
Miss von Brandenburg has just had a letter from the Home Office to tell her that they have approved her becoming a BRITON.  Hurrah :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6567 on: 10 March, 2016, 01:55:19 pm »
Congratulations to Miss von Brandenburg. Three huzzahs for HER MAJESTY and break out the port!

I have just been to the optician for the first time since I left school, so at least thirty years. He told me my eyes are healthy and I have "exceptionally good focus for my age".  8) Which must be to make up for the focus in the rest of my life! Hey, perhaps this should be in the Grumble "I wasted a tenner to be told something I already knew" thread!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #6568 on: 10 March, 2016, 07:10:57 pm »
Just put down a deposit for a weeks stay, in May, near Struan the Isle of Skye, at this rather nice self catering cottage:

http://www.firchlis.com/accommodation.htm

:thumbsup:

:o at the price, but cannae wait! 

Just need to figure out a packing list, as I want to do:

Cycling
Walking
Nature Watching
Photography
Bat detector & digital sound recorder.

Really looking forward to it, to make up for last years gubbage of knee.  Even if I can't do Very Long Cycles, or Very Long Walks, it still looks a nice location for short cycles and short walks!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6569 on: 10 March, 2016, 07:24:21 pm »
Brian don't steal all the good weather as we are going there, Skye, in early June :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #6570 on: 13 March, 2016, 11:43:38 am »
Reading this thread always cheers me up.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6571 on: 17 March, 2016, 11:58:31 am »
Automatic Diary fans - both of you :demon: - may wish to know that the eighth instalment will be kicking off on Sunday August 28th (for UK readers) as I have just booked my holibobs :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6572 on: 17 March, 2016, 12:25:08 pm »
Automatic Diary fans - both of you :demon: - may wish to know that the eighth instalment will be kicking off on Sunday August 28th (for UK readers) as I have just booked my holibobs :thumbsup:

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6573 on: 19 March, 2016, 02:48:15 pm »
The moribund Easter cactus I bought at Morrisons for a £1 out of pity, two years ago, is now flourishing in the window.  And this morning, for the first time ever, it has buds on it!  It's going to flower, maybe even at Easter.

This gives me a great deal of pleasure  8)

Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #6574 on: 24 March, 2016, 12:27:42 pm »
The EMS warning light on the gas guzzling dinosaur is no longer lit and the garage didn't charge  :thumbsup:

Although I suspect the "wire's come loose" because it wasn't reconnected properly when the exhaust was changed.