Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 389701 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #650 on: 03 August, 2012, 09:19:40 am »
Considering how few motorbikes you ever see in other areas without the weird anti-disabled cycle contraptions, I do think this is inconveniencing the majority for a problem of a very small minority.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #651 on: 03 August, 2012, 09:51:05 am »
And norty motorcyclists are rarely alone, so are happy to lift their (actually, quite often someone else's, so why should they care?) vehicles over obstructions, so the whole thing is a half-baked waste of time, with snake oil barrier salesmen taking our councils for fools.
Getting there...

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #652 on: 03 August, 2012, 10:28:22 am »
And norty motorcyclists are rarely alone, so are happy to lift their (actually, quite often someone else's, so why should they care?) vehicles over obstructions, so the whole thing is a half-baked waste of time, with snake oil barrier salesmen taking our councils for fools.

Quite.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #653 on: 03 August, 2012, 10:30:33 am »
Round here we get the silly pedal bender things (small loops in the ground close together that you either catch your ankles or pedals on), next to a horse passable obstacle and then an access gate (field gate size). Then the gates are never locked anyway :facepalm:

« Reply #654 on: 03 August, 2012, 10:43:43 am »
Whereas I've just written again and complained about the self-closing gate we have on one of our local bridleways.  It closes way too quickly to get a horse through unless I have a friend holding it open (who then has to get through herself) or I hop off to lead horse through and then have to find my way back on-not easy with a 17hh horse (that's 5ft 8)!  The gate does bugger all to deter the frequent fly tipping or the motorbikes, so I have no idea why they decided to stick it in instead of the perfectly adequate two bollards wide enough to ride through we had before!  It's heavy, metal, looks very flashy (and expensive), but utterly useless!   :facepalm:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #655 on: 03 August, 2012, 11:52:23 am »
It's heavy, metal, looks very flashy (and expensive), but utterly useless!   :facepalm:

Some of the adjectives therin may apply to the individuals responsible for the decision making process :demon:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #656 on: 03 August, 2012, 01:18:05 pm »

Yes, those bars are wide - 59cm - but many MTBs and almost all 'cruisers' have wider. And that's not all - I even had to squeeze my shoulders in to get through the barrier! I feel a grink to South Glos Council in the making.

Those barriers are, as far as I can tell, designed to even the score with recumbent trike riders.  They get a rare opportunity to ride straight through, while upwrongular cyclists have to get off, wiggle and (in extreme cases) duck:

« Reply #657 on: 03 August, 2012, 01:39:40 pm »
Good news: There's a new extension to the cycle path under construction, under the M4 past Westerleigh rail head up towards Yate.

Bad news: Although it's not yet finished, it's already crap for cycling.

Yes, those bars are wide - 59cm - but many MTBs and almost all 'cruisers' have wider. And that's not all - I even had to squeeze my shoulders in to get through the barrier! I feel a grink to South Glos Council in the making.

They are totally rubbish. The one group you expect to use off road paths are families and those barriers are nearly impossible to get a bike seat or trailer through.  >:(
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #658 on: 03 August, 2012, 01:59:12 pm »

How handy that you happened to have a child with you to help you through! Does he live in one of your rack packs?  :D

Folks, please remind me this evening to grink the responsible bodies!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #659 on: 03 August, 2012, 02:04:56 pm »
Meanwhile, today's good news: My Hope Vision 1 light, which packed up in the rain last night, now works properly after drying out.

Bad news: It might happen again on the next rainy ride.

Good news: Mrs Cudzo is bringing my old Cateye light back from Poland.

Befuddling news: I asked her to check the bracket was with it, saying it might be on the MTB  I've left there (which she has moved to the attic all of her own accord) and subsequent communication showed she thought I was talking about toe clips.

Befuddlinger news: I'm sure that bike didn't have toe clips.

Betterer news: She and Little Cudzo will be back here tonight.

Chris S

« Reply #660 on: 03 August, 2012, 06:00:20 pm »
The lack of such obstructive ridiculousness was something that really struck me when I cycled down l'avenue verte from Dieppe last year. I think I had to negotiate one gate (near the start) in about 45km of cycling. Every road crossing was the same layout - and could easily be negotiated without getting off - as shown here: Clickity

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #661 on: 03 August, 2012, 06:10:21 pm »
That looks incredibly... flat! You must have felt right at home!  :)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #662 on: 03 August, 2012, 07:26:55 pm »
Good: Olympics on the bar telly.

Bad: showing tennis.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #663 on: 03 August, 2012, 09:05:51 pm »

Those barriers are, as far as I can tell, designed to even the score with recumbent trike riders.  They get a rare opportunity to ride straight through, while upwrongular cyclists have to get off, wiggle and (in extreme cases) duck:

There's one on the path over the Stamford Bridge viaduct. There are two types of cyclist who can get through it unhindered. A CrinklyCub, and me on my Catrike. 
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Chris S

« Reply #664 on: 03 August, 2012, 09:18:00 pm »
That looks incredibly... flat! You must have felt right at home!  :)

:)

Old Railways FTW  :thumbsup:

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #665 on: 05 August, 2012, 08:55:04 pm »
happy days my daughter who was born on friday has been moved out of the intensive care unit  :thumbsup: She has made massive leaps forward today although she is still in the special care unit she has been moved closer to the door out of there. Hopefully if we can get her feeding a bit more regular on the bottle she will be with mum on the ward tomorrow.  :thumbsup:
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #666 on: 05 August, 2012, 10:20:50 pm »
Fingers and toes and everything crossed WW!

Our good news?  We're liking the borders, and had a fab day on the beach yesterday.  The cottage we're staying in is lovely, and has a whole cupboard of toys including a huge k'nex collection, a playstation 2, big bag of brio, duplo, a proper etch-a-sketch and even  spare sleepy teddies - SmallestCub is regretting not packing his polar bear.

The not-so-good news?  Poor CrinklyAuntie is Not Very Well At All.  The out of hours doc reckons it's gallstones.

The actually quite good news?  Scottish healthcare system ftw!

« Reply #667 on: 05 August, 2012, 10:40:03 pm »
Oh, GWS CrinklyAuntie!

Hooray for toys though!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #668 on: 05 August, 2012, 10:59:31 pm »
Please tell cub that I'm very sorry for staying at home but I would love to have been there ;)   

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #669 on: 06 August, 2012, 07:38:41 pm »
OH HAPPY DAYS  my baby daughter got discharged from the special care unit this afternoon  :thumbsup: she is now on the ward with mrs w w who obviously is over the moon and as long as she keeps feeding as she is they both maybe allowed home tomorrow  :thumbsup: have posted a pick in kidstuff
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #670 on: 06 August, 2012, 07:47:45 pm »
Excellent news. Hope all goes well

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #671 on: 06 August, 2012, 08:39:55 pm »
The not-so-good news?  Poor CrinklyAuntie is Not Very Well At All.  The out of hours doc reckons it's gallstones.

Eeep!  Those are distinctly non-fun.   :(   She has my sympathy.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #672 on: 07 August, 2012, 01:03:00 pm »
Good news: Tax rebate due - over £1k for last year and a few hundred because I didn't notice I was on a basic rate tax code this year.

Bad news: have to write a whole host of letters to get proof of last years job-seekers' claims, update address records and notify the tax office before they can actually confirm the final amount and stump up.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #673 on: 07 August, 2012, 01:53:16 pm »
From Sunday/yesterday: -

Bad News: I left my wallet at the till in Morrisons :facepalm:
Good News: They found it :thumbsup:
More Good News: I managed to take the card home with me anyway :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #674 on: 07 August, 2012, 05:37:55 pm »
soon there will be Bread & Butter pudding

I don't think tomorrow's weigh-in will be positive