Author Topic: Control Volunteers - a list?  (Read 10110 times)

Re: Control Volunteers - a list?
« Reply #25 on: 17 March, 2011, 08:51:37 am »
Portsmouth - 25 miles to any control that is a pub.
H

Ah, Hummers - you're the man  8).

I need someone to man a control in Fresville, it's out of Cherbourg down the E3, then right on to the D214  ;D.

Less than 24 miles from Portsmouth, acording to our AUK reference (MS Autoroute)  ;)
But if it's in France it can't be a pub, can it?

border-rider

« Reply #26 on: 17 March, 2011, 10:57:20 am »
Chepstow/Monmouth/Abergavenny triangle. 

Would travel if needed (I helped at Eskdalemuir on the last LEL and it was fun)

« Reply #27 on: 17 March, 2011, 01:14:51 pm »
I wouldn't mind helping out in the Kent/Surrey/Sussex area.

I have been a controller once, at the top of Yorks Hill on the Invicta Grimpeur a few years ago.  Good fun and I didn't go hungry as there were many free bananas and ham rolls left after the control closed, probably because people gasping for breath at the top couldn't manage to ask for food.

« Reply #28 on: 17 March, 2011, 01:30:13 pm »
I can't help feeling that we're going about this the wrong way round.  I'm delighted to see so many people saying that they would consider helping out if needed (and indeed happy to add my name - Oxon, Bucks, Berks, N Hants), but trawling through a great long list of such people with a view to contacting those in the relevant area one by one would be very time-consuming.

Surely something of the style of the "Company on a Perm" thread would be much better?  That way, if (say) John Hamilton wanted help at a major control on his Mille Cwmr big hilly Welsh ride, he could have posted here to that effect.  That way he might have got local people (like Basil) volunteering, but also maybe some from further afield (like Iddu, me, von Broad and others) who would have been prepared to travel to help.

Bairn Again

« Reply #29 on: 17 March, 2011, 01:41:11 pm »
I can't help feeling that we're going about this the wrong way round.  I'm delighted to see so many people saying that they would consider helping out if needed (and indeed happy to add my name - Oxon, Bucks, Berks, N Hants), but trawling through a great long list of such people with a view to contacting those in the relevant area one by one would be very time-consuming.

Surely something of the style of the "Company on a Perm" thread would be much better?  That way, if (say) John Hamilton wanted help at a major control on his Mille Cwmr big hilly Welsh ride, he could have posted here to that effect.  That way he might have got local people (like Basil) volunteering, but also maybe some from further afield (like Iddu, me, von Broad and others) who would have been prepared to travel to help.

+1.

I will soon be posting a "call to action" in respect of Mille Alba 2012 exactly as you have described above.

I'll claim an exemption from adding my name to this list as Im already organising 5 events this year and am down to help at one other in addition.   O:-) 

G. 

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #30 on: 17 March, 2011, 02:00:46 pm »

Both ways round is good, surely.

I started the thread because I've been asked about controlling on three different rides with different organisers. The thread has highlighted quite a few people that would be interested in helping out and may have raised the profile of volunteering?
It is simpler than it looks.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #31 on: 14 November, 2012, 05:25:40 pm »
Portsmouth  - 30 miles (or thereabouts).

PM me via the Forum.

H

« Reply #32 on: 14 November, 2012, 06:10:19 pm »
I like that you've "expanded" 5 miles since your last contribution :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 14 November, 2012, 06:24:40 pm »
Sounds like a job for Google Maps, or something, really.

Anyway, yeah.  Brummingham, 30milesish preferably in a southerly direction.

No useful skills that I can think of.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #34 on: 14 November, 2012, 08:06:00 pm »
Bristol - 40km, can obtain a visa to cross the severn bridge.

Well unless you plan one with a ferry ride across the channel,  ;D I am a bit too far now (Rennes, Britanny).
Chief cat entertainer.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #35 on: 14 November, 2012, 09:38:37 pm »
I like that you've "expanded" 5 miles since your last contribution :D

I posted that whilst thumbing through my quarterly periodical "Bikes & Bikemen". 

Single handedly, of course.

I wonder if this is in any way related?

H

« Reply #36 on: 15 November, 2012, 12:34:23 pm »
Amesbury - 30 miles-ish - contact by PM.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #37 on: 15 November, 2012, 12:49:00 pm »
Tamworth - 25ish miles - contact by PM please.

A map like the best cake & beer stops would be a good idea.

SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #38 on: 15 November, 2012, 03:18:42 pm »
Located in Bangor, so 30 miles from there:
North-West Wales - northwards of Dolgellau up to and including Anglesey.  Theoretically could do Llyn Penninsula; east as for as Conwy.

PM me for any requests

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #39 on: 15 November, 2012, 04:35:52 pm »
One more for the AUK data manglers, I think - but the inverse of the calender ride map would be good, allowing members to set a boundary range within login profile, and organisers to see who is close to their nominated start point/controls...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #40 on: 15 November, 2012, 05:05:03 pm »
Available for:=

Worcestershire
Shropshire of the M54
West Warwickshire
South Staffs
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #41 on: 15 November, 2012, 05:53:30 pm »
30 mile radius of Salisbury (excluding Bournemouth!)

Julia
(Night kitchen operator LEL 2009)
Reine de la Fauche

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #42 on: 15 November, 2012, 06:42:15 pm »
One more for the AUK data manglers, I think - but the inverse of the calender ride map would be good, allowing members to set a boundary range within login profile, and organisers to see who is close to their nominated start point/controls...

Given the number of events that go through/near <a well known town>, Iddu is going to spend the next several years hiding under the table whenever the bell rings...

« Reply #43 on: 15 November, 2012, 06:48:28 pm »
Rutland and Lincs

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #44 on: 16 November, 2012, 09:02:00 am »

Given the number of events that go through/near <a well known town>, Iddu is going to spend the next several years hiding under the table whenever the bell rings...
La La La can't hear you - Out onna bike with wind in my ears... ;)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Sabine

• In France
« Reply #45 on: 19 November, 2012, 09:08:23 pm »
Panoramix you do the Rennes control and we do the Roscoff control :thumbsup:

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #46 on: 19 November, 2012, 10:45:10 pm »
Panoramix you do the Rennes control and we do the Roscoff control :thumbsup:

Brilliant, that's a 600 sorted. Roscoff - Rennes - Roscoff.  ;)
Chief cat entertainer.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #47 on: 19 November, 2012, 11:01:58 pm »
I agree with Kim - this sounds like a good googlemap thing. I'm happy to cover 30-40 miles is from Egremont, Cumbria (obviously real life depending) :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!