Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 518056 times)

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I'm sure Citoyen knows what he's doing, and the name is clearly from the shape and colour, but still...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I'm sure Citoyen knows what he's doing, and the name is clearly from the shape and colour, but still...

I really don't know what I'm doing! Fortunately, these are one specimen that are very hard to mistake for anything else. And the ones pictured were eaten last week, so unless they're very slow acting...  ;D

In fact, they're not just edible, they're a delicacy. I was very excited when I first found some, and sightings are all too rare - mainly because they're so hard to spot.

I see plenty of other varieties of fungi in my local woods that I wouldn't dream of eating, including one that Steph otp helped me identify as the rare and deadly panther cap.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

I really don't know what I'm doing! Fortunately, these are one specimen that are very hard to mistake for anything else. And the ones pictured were eaten last week, so unless they're very slow acting...  ;D

In fact, they're not just edible, they're a delicacy. I was very excited when I first found some, and sightings are all too rare - mainly because they're so hard to spot.

I see plenty of other varieties of fungi in my local woods that I wouldn't dream of eating, including one that Steph otp helped me identify as the rare and deadly panther cap.
Whilst I figure you're fine as your ID is confident - isn't that the thing with some mushrooms though, that they are very slow acting?

I can't remember the exact details but I think they block the production of a certain enzyme but the body usually has about a month's worth in reserve so it's a while before you realise that shit's fucked!

I'll have a search for whatever it is I vaguely recall when I'm next at a real computer.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

citoyen

Sloe jelly : sloes in pan. Add water. Lemon juice. Cook. Mash. Filter through a jelly bag /cloth overnight. Measure juice. Each ml of juice needs a gram of sugar. Boil up to setting point, pot.
Take the spent mush, add to the same (ish) volume of cooking apples, lob in some water. Cook, mash, another night in (a clean) jelly bag.
Same ratio sugar to juice, pot.

citoyen

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Does the panel think I'll ever get my Mythic Beast?
(Sainsbury's Three Bird Roast, ordered Christmas 2018, 2019 and every week since November 9, 2020. Never available.)

ian

It does sound a bit like those Victorian taxidermy experiments.

My wacky plan for this year, which has my wife uttering a really, is to barbecue the turkey.

The Brexshit version .  Seagull stuffed with urban pigeon, stuffed with magpie....

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hellymedic

• Just do it!

My wacky plan for this year, which has my wife uttering a really, is to barbecue the turkey.

Spit roast mebbe..

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

Could be worse.  I am given to understand that the canonical way to cook a turkey in USAnia is to deep-fry the thing.  Yes, whole.  In a thing resembling Ned's atomic dustbin.  And probably garnished with BACON.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

Could be worse.  I am given to understand that the canonical way to cook a turkey in USAnia is to deep-fry the thing.  Yes, whole.  In a thing resembling Ned's atomic dustbin.  And probably garnished with BACON.

Yes, every year there is a warning about fires caused by deep-frying turkey. The more sensible tradition is to get the big pot of oil boiling on the outside grill, climb a tall ladder and lower it in on a special flameproof rope. The less sensible tradition is chuckking a still-frozen bird into the pot in your kitchen while standing next to it.*

There's always bacon, the American uni-seasoning.

Deep-fried turkey is actually quite good. But I'm not brave enough to risk third-degree burns. I have had barbecued Christmas turkey a couple of times in the US and Canada and enjoyed it and I'm now the owner of a Weber thing (to be honest, I found it in the back of the garage, left by the previous owners, may need de-spidering, though I suppose they might add taste).

*we shouldn't laugh too much, back when I used to get off the train at Norwood Junction to walk home, I'd pass a barber shop that used to have their barbecue indoors. That'll work, thought I. They managed a good month before the building burnt down.

(Sainsbury's Three Bird Roast, ordered Christmas 2018, 2019 and every week since November 9, 2020. Never available.)

Fox's in Malton will deliver you a Yorkshire Pot or a Turkey Pot.

https://www.derekfoxbutchers.com/product-page/yorkshire-pot

Give them a ring. Top class game dealers and poulters.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Fox's in Malton will deliver you a Yorkshire Pot or a Turkey Pot.
https://www.derekfoxbutchers.com/product-page/yorkshire-pot
Give them a ring. Top class game dealers and poulters.

Thanks! I've ordered and received other birds for our festive meal à deux.
My continuing to order this entity is now just an amusement to check its existence. I can easily use this thing at some time, not necessarily Christmas, if it arrives.
Which I doubt.

First slice of Christmas cake of the season. Mrs Pcolbeck makes a big cake and a small one form the same mixture. The small one doesn't get iced and is a tester to see how much to feed the big one. Tonight was testing night. Its very nice.

I didn't have any Wensleydale in though so had to use cheddar - not quite the same.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583

About 4 or 5 years ago when THE SOUTH was flooded and bereft of electrons, my sister's other half (not married, but de-facto BIL) cooked the turkey on the barbie as the cooker was kaputt. It came back just as they sat down to eat.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

The Weber looks like a go.

My wife has started producing leaflets from pubs and restaurants and remarking how nice – as it's just the two of us – it would be if we just went out for Christmas dinner. I see what's she's doing.

We did barbecue the turkey once in Ottawa, the thermometer was subwoofing below 30, so that took some serious fire.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Unavailable today, too.

That's Christmas x 2 and six successive Mondays from November 9 this year...

ETA I've reordered it for 21 December. I really doubt it will materialise. Nobody could say I didn't try...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
A Facebook friend posted that a supermarket he visited was already selling Hot Cross buns. His mum bought some.

I think I'll get some too. Come Boxing Day, I might prefer a toasted, buttered bun to any more hefty Christmas fare.

Yes I have been looking for simple fare too, unfortunately it seems to be in short supply due to added value of the hefty stuff.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

My mother has used the Be-Ro recipe book for ever.  Her current copy of it was getting a bit tatty and stained by random cooking residue so she decided to order a pristine new copy.  Imagine her delight when she discovered that the new version had random food stains printed into it on most pages as shown in the example below!

Tier 4. I hope it comes with leftover turkey recipes. I'm picking up a 10kg bird on Thursday (from the farm).

ian

That's not a turkey. It's an albatross.

Imagine that hung around your neck. No, it's a turkey. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Do bear in mind (not the bear in your back garden) that this is the first christmas spent at home for 30 years, what do I know?