Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 518115 times)

I had Christmas Pudding flavoured ice cream the other day.  It had whole glace cherries in it.  It was marvellous.

Brymor , between Masham and Middleham , used to do that once. It doesn't appear on their web page
http://www.brymordairy.co.uk/Ice-Cream so  we may have to have a ride up there to ask why not.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
I had Christmas Pudding flavoured ice cream the other day.  It had whole glace cherries in it.  It was marvellous.

Brymor , between Masham and Middleham , used to do that once. It doesn't appear on their web page
http://www.brymordairy.co.uk/Ice-Cream so  we may have to have a ride up there to ask why not.

Alternatively you could ride up to Archer's and nom lots of Christmas Pudding ice cream?
Milk please, no sugar.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

I had bit of xmas pud fudge from http://www.ochilfudgepantry.co.uk/ yesterday. It was quite spicy. Also had a bit of Spiced Rum & Orange Fudge which was very orangey.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike

I've made my own christmas pudding ice cream before, using leftover pud and custard - just mash them up and bung in the ice cream maker. It's fab.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

I've just had a Durian Cookie (provided by some Chinese colleagues). A rather unusual aftertaste.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
What did smell like? A tour guide in Singapore warned us that they wouldn't let us back on the bus if we bought any due to the smell.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I couldn't eat any durian durian unless I was hungry like a wolf.

(Sorry, that was a stinker.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
What did smell like? A tour guide in Singapore warned us that they wouldn't let us back on the bus if we bought any due to the smell.
Imagine garlic custard over an open sewer.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Turkey got boobies  ;D

Nothing much thankfully!  And the taste, we'll sort of passion fruit and Parmesan.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Mrs P has been busy today  :P

IMG_6082 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_6085 by The Pingus, on Flickr

mcshroom

• Mushroom
My instant coffee has gone damp again (I think the tub I use doesn't seal well enough). Wondering if I should have another go at drying it in the oven ;D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

citoyen

Turkey got boobies  ;D

That is really quite unsettling.

Even more so because it looks like the chap is attempting to find the bird's G-spot.

nicknack

• Hornblower
Turkey got boobies  ;D

Even more so because it looks like the chap is attempting to find the bird's G-spot.
Turkasm!
There's no vibrations, but wait.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The local Brent Council magazine has an article about cutting sugar on page 22, following an article on page 19 about a local food bank.
The most prominent crate in the foreground of the photo illustrating this only contains sugar.
 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Turkey got boobies  ;D

Turkasm!

After a few hours on the sunbed

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Have been making soup, if I make it in the slow cooker I put onions in first to sweat then some garlic.  Till they all sweat and become sweet.  Then I add the additions to make the soup such as the recent one I made with tinned spinach and roast sweet potato then adding some homemade chicken stock.  Then I added some coconut milk from the concentrated coconut block.  Tasted great.

If I make a soup in the pressure cooker, I will put everything in the pot then cook the ingredients quickly but the soup comes out bland.

What am I doing wrong?

Shouldn't need a pressure cooker for soup.
Assuming I have stock (cubes, stock pot/flavour pot things or the genuine home-made article) I would fry the onions as you suggest, add the other veg and make sure they've sweated a bit as well, the add stock. If the veg are small enough, preferably grated, should only take about 15-20 minutes to be done. Then blend. I'd probably add the coconut milk at the end and just warm through.
Using the pressure cooker probably does things too fast with no time for the flavours to develop.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
I'm sort of lazy and throw bits is the slow cooker and come back to them.

Coconut milk is at the end.

Still not sold with stock in the pressure cooker either...

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

citoyen

Gattopardo - I would follow SteveC's example and do some initial cooking without pressure. Maillard reactions, innit.

Or add some duck.

Oh, sorry - you said Maillard.

^^^^
Lost for words  :sick: :sick: :sick:
" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
This alleged chocolate mousse was presented at xmas lunch today:

IMG_6117 by The Pingus, on Flickr