Author Topic: The Fall  (Read 8443 times)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
The Fall
« on: 31 May, 2013, 01:23:03 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00wrk40

Miss Emily and I started watching this. It is a crime drama that follows a detective (Gillian Anderson) as they get brought in to help on a murder case.

It is a great piece of crime drama, comparable with The Killing in some ways, but not quite as overall-good. Something that I am loving is a total absence of background music - if the characters are sat in uncomfortable silence, so are you. As they rush somewhere, you hear only the sounds of them rushing, no driving music to go with it etc etc.

The main characters are not barbie and ken dolls apart from
(click to show/hide)
, which is good to see.

We missed the start of the series but caught up on iPlayer, via our cable service, which is cool as my laptop has decided that it no longer wishes to produce sound!

If you liked The Killing, it is worth watching this, though it is not as atmospheric it is very watchable.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: The Fall
« Reply #1 on: 31 May, 2013, 03:00:21 pm »
OK, who else thought this was about Mark E Smith and his somewhat acquired taste in music?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2013, 03:17:37 pm »
Yup, really enjoying this.

It is a great piece of crime drama, comparable with The Killing in some ways, but not quite as overall-good. Something that I am loving is a total absence of background music - if the characters are sat in uncomfortable silence, so are you. As they rush somewhere, you hear only the sounds of them rushing, no driving music to go with it etc etc.
I hadn't noticed this, but I think you're right - and it might be why I like it so much !!!

If you liked The Killing, it is worth watching this, though it is not as atmospheric it is very watchable.
I suppose there are similrities ... but mainly because both are a lot more grown-up than most current crime dramas. Not difficult :( (And of course the cold calculating female detective - but this one seems pretty sane, just not the standard female TV cop  :thumbsup: )

I think this is a lot more down-to-earth, less stylised than The Killing (in good ways, like the lack of music). It's also quite slow.

Anderson has really impressed me. [She sent us rushing to Wiki to check which side of the pond she's from.]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2013, 03:20:36 pm »
OK, who else thought this was about Mark E Smith and his somewhat acquired taste in music?

Guilty
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2013, 03:21:56 pm »
I've watched the show too incidentally - very very good so far  :thumbsup:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 31 May, 2013, 05:14:38 pm »
I wasn't sure at first but I've been watching it because my wife was keen and I've found myself really getting into it.

The bad dude is one of the baddest dudes in crime drama since Killer BOB. Truly creepy.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #6 on: 31 May, 2013, 05:25:55 pm »

Yeah, fell for that. Was about to start rambling about seeing them at some grotty club in Liverpool in 1978 and being surprised the other day to see that there is a current version playing the Brixton Academy or the Clapham Grand in a few weeks' time.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Andrew

« Reply #7 on: 31 May, 2013, 06:27:34 pm »
Yep, my first thought too.... 'Pay your rates'....

...my favourite band ever. Still going, I keep half an ear but I can't say I'm a mad follower these days. I keep expecting to read an obituary, MES has hammered his body with drugs and alcohol for years. He looks a good 10 years older than his is. I met him once, not that he'd remember it... for more reasons that one!

« Reply #8 on: 06 June, 2013, 10:50:06 pm »
Not just me then. I thought it might have been about how Jacomus had finally got The Fall. It takes a while!

I'm listening to the new album, and they're playing a festival I'll be at this weekend. Never seen 'em live.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9 on: 07 June, 2013, 09:14:00 am »

If you haven't come across "The Fall", the band from Manchester, here is a description of them from their first proper album

We are the Fall
Northern white crap that talks back
We are not black. Tall.
No boxes for us.
Do not fuck us.
We are frigid stars.
We were spitting, we were snapping "Cop Out, Cop Out!"
as if from heaven.

So now you know

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #10 on: 07 June, 2013, 09:16:13 am »
I think Gillian Anderson is looking far better now than she ever did in the X-Files.

Fact.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 07 June, 2013, 12:08:13 pm »
HAve just watched the Alan Yentob "US of TV" (sp?) episode about portrayal of women.

Anderson was interviewed between clips from the X-Files - very mch confirmed Rigger's view!
(mainly due to the appaling hair-do Scully had in the early days).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2013, 12:22:06 pm »
Not just me then. I thought it might have been about how Jacomus had finally got The Fall. It takes a while!

I'm listening to the new album, and they're playing a festival I'll be at this weekend. Never seen 'em live.

Me three

<Manc accent>

Which way's North from 'ere?

</Manc accent>
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #13 on: 07 June, 2013, 12:33:35 pm »

Yep.

I was in a meeting with a prof yesterday, and I referred to  the Manchester health informatics centre as "HeRC The North" He grinned. At the end of the meeting he mentioned he'd been to see The Fall last year (reporting that it was shit). Made a friend, I think.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 07 June, 2013, 12:34:41 pm »
We need a
{the Fall : disambiguation} thingy before this gets out of hand.

Probably too late ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #15 on: 07 June, 2013, 12:41:40 pm »
We need a
{the Fall : disambiguation} thingy before this gets out of hand.

Probably too late ...

disambiguate Marc E Smith?  That's quite ambitious

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #16 on: 07 June, 2013, 12:43:51 pm »
I meant to watch it but the digibox failed to record it. I might add it to my lovefilm and watch it that way. One of my colleagues was praising it and describing it as being very much about the procedural side of things, and then we rhapsodised for a few minutes about what it must be like to work somewhere where you know what the procedures are, and where to find them if you don't.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17 on: 07 June, 2013, 12:44:57 pm »
Is this not a Free Range conversation?
Getting there...

« Reply #18 on: 10 June, 2013, 04:05:27 pm »

If you haven't come across "The Fall", the band from Manchester, here is a description of them from their first proper album

We are the Fall
Northern white crap that talks back
We are not black. Tall.
No boxes for us.
Do not fuck us.
We are frigid stars.
We were spitting, we were snapping "Cop Out, Cop Out!"
as if from heaven.

So now you know

Or, for the uninitiated, here's The Legend of The Fall, courtesy of Jeffrey Lewis:

<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=68010874&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=68010874&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #19 on: 10 June, 2013, 04:07:07 pm »
I think Gillian Anderson is looking far better now than she ever did in the X-Files.

Fact.
/gets interested
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #20 on: 11 June, 2013, 05:34:46 am »
(click to show/hide)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21 on: 11 June, 2013, 06:55:53 am »
Stone me!  BBC Breakfast have just said that there's going to be a second series.

Bring it on...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 11 June, 2013, 08:46:02 am »
I'm not normally the sharpest at predicting storylines etc, but i did feel the
"To be continued" was a pretty strong message.

;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Euan Uzami

« Reply #23 on: 11 June, 2013, 08:53:56 am »
What?!  :o It didn't end!  :facepalm: THat's weak. We were disappointed  ::-)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #24 on: 11 June, 2013, 11:19:01 am »
What?!  :o It didn't end!  :facepalm: THat's weak. We were disappointed  ::-)

At first we were similarly disappointed, though I think it is actually pretty good. There would have had to have been a hefty slice of Hollywood Policing for them to find at catch the killer.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart