Author Topic: Maps - Etrex Vista.  (Read 1758 times)

Maps - Etrex Vista.
« on: 17 September, 2018, 06:58:33 am »
Hi guys. Apologies if this problem is covered in Earlier post but I couldn't find it.
I have an older Garmin Vista hcx which I use for audax. I bought it try out using a GPS on audax and used it with reasonable success last Yr including LEL.
However there is no mapping on the device so on some junctions /more complex turns etc it's often difficult to be sure which road to take.
I know there's a slot for an SD card inside but any advice on how to download /buy the mapping would be appreciated. Obviously don't want to spend much as the device isn't worth it and maybe a better option would be to go for a newer one.
Hoping to do Pbp in 2019 and don't want to be lost in France!

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
Re: Maps - Etrex Vista.
« Reply #1 on: 17 September, 2018, 08:27:55 am »
Openfietsmap is your friend.
There are downloadable map segments with exquisite detail including routing data for all of europe; I have used the GB map for the UK, Benelux map for Holland, the Alps map and the W Europe map to good effect on my HCx devices.
Simply download the relevant gmapsupp.img file, copy it to the /Garmin directory on an HCx SD card (on the HCx it must be called gmapsupp.img; other filenames are ignored and there must be only one) and insert the card.
If you want to do route planning on a PC, get Basecamp from Garmin and download the (10Gig) european mapset from openfietsmap and install it by following the simple instructions. Once you get your head around using Basecamp, it works a treat.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #2 on: 17 September, 2018, 09:20:01 am »
What pdm said ^

Useful GPS setup info following the AUK website links to Aukadia.net

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 17 September, 2018, 09:34:51 am »
If it's an early production Vista HCx that has never been firmware-updated there will be a size limit on the mSD card of 2Gb.  Updated devices and later production models don't have that restriction.  2Gb is plenty for any reasonable map, but some map downloads can get ridiculously large these days.

A Vista HCX in good condition is as good as any GPS out there, IMHO.  However if it's been around the block a few times then there are concerns about reliability, and for something mission-critical like a PBP** it might be worth replacing it with a new Etrex 20x or 30x (you'd also have to shell out for a suitable handlebar mount) - but only because of the reliability, not because the newer model is in any way better, it isn't.

** of course you don't need a GPS to ride PBP - the whole route is waymarked and by night there are plenty of red lights to follow.

If you do fit an mSD card then you can use the option to auto-record daily tracklogs to the card, well worth doing I think.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #4 on: 18 September, 2018, 08:52:49 am »
Thanks guys will have a play around on the net with the advice given. Ps my etrex was virtually brand new and unused when I got it so no concerns with reliability

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 18 September, 2018, 10:35:41 am »
I meant to add that the card should be formatted as FAT32 (or just FAT also works) - which if the card is bigger than 2Gb and the PC is a modern one, is not always the obvious choice and you could even need to install software to get it done.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Phil W

« Reply #6 on: 18 September, 2018, 06:26:51 pm »
The UK is about 0.4Gb and France 0.7Gb if using a reasonable uncluttered map sourced from OSM data. So will fit on a 2Gb card easily.

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #7 on: 18 September, 2018, 06:35:55 pm »
#threadjacker

Am I right in assuming its all the same for a Legend HCX?

Also, with auto record - do I just turn it on and ride, not worrying about it not recording, or do I need to start the track?

Rule 77

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #8 on: 18 September, 2018, 10:12:28 pm »
#threadjacker

Am I right in assuming its all the same for a Legend HCX?

Also, with auto record - do I just turn it on and ride, not worrying about it not recording, or do I need to start the track?

Yes. The only difference between the Legend and the Vista is that the latter has a barometer and an electronic compass.

Once you have enabled track recording to the uSD card, it is completely automatic. You get a daily track recorded automagically while the device is switched on (See: https://www.cycletourer.co.uk/cycletouring/etrexvista.shtml) in addition to automatic tracks recorded to device memory every time you move....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 19 September, 2018, 12:03:34 am »
It's been a while, but I recall there being a gotcha with Vista HCx stopping recording the track (even to the SD card) when the internal memory version of the track reached the maximum number of points.  There's a "Wrap when full" option somewhere that needs to be enabled, which causes the start of the (internal memory) recorded track to be thrown away to make room for new track points as they're created.  The version logged to the SD card is simply appended to, so you'll have the entire track there.

Not usually a problem in practice, but the nature of size limitations is that you always hit them at the worst possible moment.

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #10 on: 19 September, 2018, 09:58:29 pm »
To the OP - make sure you download the correct map, else enjoy two evenings working out why no roads at all show on the screen!

For me it was the 4th one in the list - oddly enough the onethat says gmapsupp in it!

If I was half as clever as I was handsome.........
Rule 77