Author Topic: PBP 2019 ROUTE  (Read 31398 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: PBP 2019 ROUTE
« Reply #125 on: 09 August, 2019, 03:45:55 pm »
FWIW, Garmins just record right through*  :thumbsup:

* although it does help to STOP + START every 300km or so, just in case your specific device still suffers from the dreaded 10k [recorded] points issue  :facepalm:

Not to mention that if a Garmin EDGE does crash, often the only chance or recovery is to connect to USB from a computer, grab the "working" FIT file and hope it is recoverable from that, all before you can restart recording...

simonp

« Reply #126 on: 09 August, 2019, 04:44:03 pm »
Need to download the PBP time in hand data field before I go to France.

It knows about the control times for 80h, 84h and 90h. You do have to start the clock at the start and keep it running. I reckon I'll risk it.

Phil W

« Reply #127 on: 09 August, 2019, 04:51:33 pm »
My eTrex 20 hung once (on a 400 qualifier) back in 2015.  Post mortem showed it was definitely the 10,000 point limit. Since then I've set it to record less often and to archive at midnight, and all tracks to navigate are always filtered below 10,000 points. It hasn't hung now for four years. The map draw / update is also quicker

I'm going for the two 600km tracks. After all the cause of the crashing / hanging problem is not the distance but the number of points. Besides its only a backup in case signs are missing or you don't spot them. I did an extra 22km last time after being in a group of Japanese that went off route.  Arriving in a deathly quiet village with no lights, signs of life, or signs gave the game away.  Retraced and back on route.

« Reply #128 on: 09 August, 2019, 05:04:33 pm »
My eTrex 20 hung once (on a 400 qualifier) back in 2015.  Post mortem showed it was definitely the 10,000 point limit. Since then I've set it to record less often and to archive at midnight, and all tracks to navigate are always filtered below 10,000 points. It hasn't hung now for four years. The map draw / update is also quicker

I'm going for the two 600km tracks. After all the cause of the crashing / hanging problem is not the distance but the number of points. Besides its only a backup in case signs are missing or you don't spot them. I did an extra 22km last time after being in a group of Japanese that went off route.  Arriving in a deathly quiet village with no lights, signs of life, or signs gave the game away.  Retraced and back on route.

I've got the route down to 319kb.  As above, Etrex set to record less often and to archive every so often.  Not that I expect to have to look at it during the event.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #129 on: 09 August, 2019, 07:37:20 pm »
Getting this all downloaded and starting to think about travel etc.

Thanks Nick - always nice to have the backup of the GPX files if you suddenly find yourself cycling in the peace and quiet and, therefore, know you must be off route!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #130 on: 09 August, 2019, 08:06:07 pm »
Not to mention that if a Garmin EDGE does crash, often the only chance or recovery is to connect to USB from a computer, grab the "working" FIT file and hope it is recoverable from that, all before you can restart recording...

A trick is to set it to record to the card — when it crashes, you can reset and then set a new recording without connecting to a computer; the old one should be intact on the card.

That said, I don't bother with my 1030 — it has its foibles, but crashing doesn't appear to be one of them.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

simonp

« Reply #131 on: 09 August, 2019, 09:58:13 pm »
That said, I don't bother with my 1030 — it has its foibles, but crashing doesn't appear to be one of them.

:o no no no no no! He’s only gone and unleashed the ancient curse of the lost software engineer.

« Reply #132 on: 10 August, 2019, 01:15:13 pm »
When I check the route sheet to RWGPS, the first 3 controls are significantly different to each other. From control 4 onward it converges. EG Control 1 on the Route plan says 258k but on RWGPS its only 216k.....What have I misunderstood ?

simonp

« Reply #133 on: 10 August, 2019, 01:34:35 pm »
When I check the route sheet to RWGPS, the first 3 controls are significantly different to each other. From control 4 onward it converges. EG Control 1 on the Route plan says 258k but on RWGPS its only 216k.....What have I misunderstood ?

The start has moved by about 40km west. I suspect the route sheet is in error.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #134 on: 10 August, 2019, 02:04:13 pm »

If you're referring to the official, two-page routesheet or route plan from ACP then likely they haven't updated it since the move to Rambouillet, 40km west of the original St Quentin start.

If you're referring to my unofficial, 12-page routesheet then I deny all responsibility ...

simonp

« Reply #135 on: 10 August, 2019, 02:17:46 pm »

If you're referring to the official, two-page routesheet or route plan from ACP then likely they haven't updated it since the move to Rambouillet, 40km west of the original St Quentin start.

If you're referring to my unofficial, 12-page routesheet then I deny all responsibility ...

The official route sheet in the dossier says 144km to Mortagne au Perche. I think that's way too long given the moved start, and the open runner route on their website has it at 117km.

Edit: what I'm seeing is actually a formatting error in the route sheet. The control distances are correct, but are not lined up with the instructions. This seems to only happen for the first column, so it's incorrect until Quedillac when I look. The issue varies between my Mac in Pages and Google Drive; I don't have Word here to compare.

However, the controls are highlighted in bold in the distances. So they are Mortagne 118km Villaines 217km, Fougeres 306km, etc.

This lines up with the RWGPS distances you quote (give or take the odd km). So both are correct, as far as I can see.

« Reply #136 on: 10 August, 2019, 09:33:10 pm »
The official route sheet in the dossier says 144km to Mortagne au Perche. I think that's way too long given the moved start, and the open runner route on their website has it at 117km.

Edit: what I'm seeing is actually a formatting error in the route sheet. The control distances are correct, but are not lined up with the instructions. This seems to only happen for the first column, so it's incorrect until Quedillac when I look. The issue varies between my Mac in Pages and Google Drive; I don't have Word here to compare.

However, the controls are highlighted in bold in the distances. So they are Mortagne 118km Villaines 217km, Fougeres 306km, etc.

This lines up with the RWGPS distances you quote (give or take the odd km). So both are correct, as far as I can see.
View the routesheets (out and back) in Word and they (eg kilometerages) are perfect (and paste neatly into xl btw, for deleting unnecessary lines).

99   13   LONGNY-au-PERCHE   
118   19   MORTAGNE-au-PERCHE   D931
124   6   PARFONDEVAL   
140   16   SURE   
142   2   MAMERS (bypass) …..   D311
144   2        Junc D311 x D300 ….   D300
154   10   COURGAINS   
170   16   BEAUMONT-sur-SARTHE   
178   8   SEGRIE ......   D21
190   12   FRESNAY-sur-SARTHE ....   D15
196   6   SOUGE-le-GANELON   
202   6   SAINT-PAUL-le-GAULTIER   
212   10   AVERTON   
217   5   VILLAINES-la-JUHEL     Control   

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #137 on: 11 August, 2019, 12:31:51 am »

A trick is to set it to record to the card — when it crashes, you can reset and then set a new recording without connecting to a computer; the old one should be intact on the card.

That said, I don't bother with my 1030 — it has its foibles, but crashing doesn't appear to be one of them.

510s don't have cards!
Newer and older Edges may however.

Phil W

« Reply #138 on: 11 August, 2019, 01:24:47 pm »
Latest OSM mapping for France plus all the GPX files (I've opted for 2 X 600km), including for the ride down and back, now loaded on GPS. Did an extra 22km last time after going off route with a group of Japanese riders. This time I'll keep the track running in the background and pay more attention at the back.

« Reply #139 on: 12 August, 2019, 03:56:24 pm »
I made a google maps version of wilkyboy's route for my phone, anyone else who wants to use an android phone for backup nav is welcome to grab it:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QKBpB8t5zNNzuhtrRR0yRW-3wBIN4MlY

« Reply #140 on: 12 August, 2019, 07:24:20 pm »
Did I see the PBP .gpx filees already cut in 2 x 600k and 4 x 300k somewhere or did I dream it?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #141 on: 12 August, 2019, 07:43:34 pm »
Did I see the PBP .gpx filees already cut in 2 x 600k and 4 x 300k somewhere or did I dream it?

Yes  - On Nick's page link further up thread.

For them that like all the cues I've used Nick's stage by stage files (thanks to Nick  :thumbsup: ) and added them in here:

https://ridewithgps.com/events/100551-pbp#routes/30824018/preview
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #142 on: 13 August, 2019, 04:41:51 pm »

My Etrex 20 is currently set to record More Often, which is the suggested option in the aukadia.net set up guide

What frequency does the Less Often option save at?

There's also a Normal option between Less Often and More Often

Phil W

« Reply #143 on: 13 August, 2019, 04:58:24 pm »
It will vary depending on how twisty a route is.

Looking back over rides in recent months

Twisty Route ~ 13,000 track points every 400km.
More typical route ~ 7,000 track points every 400km.

It was when set to normal recording that it locked up at 10,000 track points and about 360km into a 400km Audax.

Jay_70_One

• Condor Road Club
« Reply #144 on: 14 August, 2019, 03:29:03 pm »
There have been no more changes to ACP's official GPS files in the past couple of months, so I've published my versions of the GPS files, in both GPX and TCX and various point-counts (for legacy devices).  Also a RideWithGPS link for pinning.

It's all here, as well as my usual UK-stylee routesheet  8) :thumbsup:

i cant thank you enough for taking the time to do this, with a personal life in upheaval at the minute, to be able to go straight to this was a massive reassurance. Thanks mate  :thumbsup:
Don't die wondering...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #146 on: 17 August, 2019, 06:19:17 am »
Ay, I've updated my RWGPS route, which will please Wahoonians, but unfortunately I can't access my scripts for slicing'n'dicing the route into all the different lengths and formats, and I'm not about to attempt that by hand.

So, just remember that my GPS tracks and the routesheet for stage 15 are completely and utterly wrong once you leave Brest and you'll have to follow the arrows, or download ACP's GPS track for stage 15  ::-)

C'est la vie.

simonp

« Reply #147 on: 17 August, 2019, 06:41:17 am »
I traced the ACP file for the finial stage on RWGPS website on my phone. So this adds turn by turn cue points.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30861662

Caveat emptor.

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #148 on: 18 August, 2019, 01:45:41 pm »
Thanks for this Wilky  :thumbsup: