Author Topic: Weird/funny dreams you've had  (Read 147834 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Weird/funny dreams you've had
« Reply #350 on: 07 January, 2014, 10:18:22 am »
Last night, I dreamed that I was working with EldestCub (who was about eighteen) on a design for a new domino-style game.  Younger Cub was there, too, but he was very young.  We were staying in an old farmhouse somewhere up North.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #351 on: 09 January, 2014, 01:54:03 pm »
Last night I dreamed that I was working with clarion to make the central heating work in a building that was almost but not quite the hall of residence I lived in at Brizzle.

What I'd presumed to be a flood behind a locked door (on account of freezing cold squishy carpet) turned out to be contractors botchily moving the boiler in order to treat the wall for mould.  They'd plumbed it back in at a ludicrous angle with no slack on the pipes, and forgotten to install a filler loop.  The boiler wasn't working due to lack of system pressure.  I woke up shortly after we'd determined that the header tank (yes, I know), while working correctly, wasn't producing enough pressure to satisfy the boiler, and were debating whether it was worth bypassing the low pressure interlock, or fessing up to the warden and accepting the fine[1].

From this I conclude it's nearly Winter Hostelling season.   :)

[1] At the time it was standard practice that students in halls were fined from their deposit for all sorts of frivolous reasons, usually involving physical proximity when damage was discovered.  Nobody protested particularly hard, on account of the risk of being evicted to Shite Bunker.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #352 on: 10 January, 2014, 10:04:05 am »
[1] At the time it was standard practice that students in halls were fined from their deposit for all sorts of frivolous reasons, usually involving physical proximity when damage was discovered.  Nobody protested particularly hard, on account of the risk of being evicted to Shite Bunker.
HB? That always seemed to have buildings at least that were in better condition than the other halls. Bit of a soulless mazy maze, granted.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

fuzzy

« Reply #353 on: 10 January, 2014, 10:24:51 am »
A waking dream (a flash of scary weirdness after riding through the flood and then ascending Quarry Wood Road this morning).

Imagine THAT awards ceremony scene starring Miley Cyrus and Robin Thicke engaging in a bit of twerking.

Replace Miley and Robin with supervisor and his best buddy (supervisor as Ms Cyrus), bot attired as per the ceremony.

Neither my supervisor or his best buddy are svelt or athletic. In fact, supervisor is an overweight rugby player whilst best buddy is a fat slob.

It made me feel  :sick:

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #354 on: 10 January, 2014, 11:23:34 am »
And you'll never look at them without thinking of twerking again!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #355 on: 10 January, 2014, 11:30:55 am »
In fact, you have no way of knowing whether, in fact, they have reconstructed this very scene in the privacy of their own rooms.  And now you have a nagging suspicion that they might have.
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #356 on: 10 January, 2014, 11:39:13 am »
The Supervisor is affectionatly know amongst us as The Gimp.......

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #357 on: 10 January, 2014, 03:15:05 pm »
HB? That always seemed to have buildings at least that were in better condition than the other halls. Bit of a soulless mazy maze, granted.

That's the one.  My main experience of the Bunker was via a group of Aero Engineers who, being male, had the misfortune to end up on the rugball bloke corridor.  Notable features were the persistent smell of cannabis; holes in the wall (some patched with newspaper and tippex in an attempt to retain deposit by previous occupants); a leaky roof; circuit breakers that would trip and remain un-resettable until someone with the relevant keys and authority came on duty on Monday mornings; 2am shopping trolley racing and Hi-Fi competitions; flooding; a bombsite of a kitchen and a biohazardous shared bathroom.  Tentacle soup and Pot Noodle were regularly served at mealtimes.  I was particularly impressed by what appeared to be the charred remains of a smoke detector on the ceiling outside one of my friend's rooms.

Form what I saw of the other blocks, theirs was in particularly poor condition, though the leaky roof and inadequate cooking facilities were universal.

I was in the relatively newly built Durdam Hall (with good kitchens and en-suite bathrooms), slightly up the hill.  The Aeros would regularly visit to borrow our cooking and telly-watching facilities in exchange for CAKE.  The irony was that due to being self-catered, I paid less rent, and got to use the room (admittedly for storing a lot of Bunkerites' stuff) during holidays.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #358 on: 10 January, 2014, 03:22:43 pm »
Most of the accommodation blocks of my first University have been demolished (Sorby, Earnshaw, Tapton, Ranmoor (I think), Victoria House (where I lived)...).  I believe the venerable old Stephenson and Halifax Halls remain, along with Crewe (where my dad lived).
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #359 on: 10 January, 2014, 03:39:24 pm »
Fairly sure Ranmoor was still there when we were there.  Suspect it may have needed demolishing.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #360 on: 10 January, 2014, 03:43:03 pm »
Some may have said it should have been demolished with the residents in situ.  In an unkind moment, that is.

Yeah, Wikipedia confirms it has been demolished, but Ranmoor House remains.
Getting there...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #361 on: 12 January, 2014, 08:06:40 am »
The other night I dreamt that I completed Jet Set Willy without losing a single life!  :o

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #362 on: 24 January, 2014, 12:43:04 pm »
Last night I dreamt about Fuzzy and his wife, who had come to the bike shop I was working in, to upgrade/service Fuzzy's bike, so that his daughter could ride it. The bike was strapped to the side of their big American 4x4 monster truck, even though there was plenty of room on the flat bed. Fuzzy didn't want to come into the bike shop, so I grabbed the bike and his wife came with me into the shop. Where I noticed that Fuzzy had done some DIY upgrades to the bike mainly using a 1" thick chain, right out of the industrial Victorian times, and had removed with an angle grinder every second tooth to make room for the chain. The rear cassette had only to rings, made in the same style, I didn't have time to look at how he had managed to get that chain into the XT dérailleur. Before something caught my eye out of the shops rear windows, we were being over taken by cyclists who were partaking in a track race. So that explained why Fuzzy had to be outside in the car, so that he could hold the truck in place onto the shop as we did laps on the bicycle track while the race was on.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #363 on: 24 January, 2014, 01:08:41 pm »

That's the one.  My main experience of the Bunker was via a group of Aero Engineers who, being male, had the misfortune to end up on the rugball bloke corridor.  Notable features were the persistent smell of cannabis; holes in the wall (some patched with newspaper and tippex in an attempt to retain deposit by previous occupants); a leaky roof; circuit breakers that would trip and remain un-resettable until someone with the relevant keys and authority came on duty on Monday mornings; 2am shopping trolley racing and Hi-Fi competitions; flooding; a bombsite of a kitchen and a biohazardous shared bathroom.  Tentacle soup and Pot Noodle were regularly served at mealtimes.  I was particularly impressed by what appeared to be the charred remains of a smoke detector on the ceiling outside one of my friend's rooms.

Form what I saw of the other blocks, theirs was in particularly poor condition, though the leaky roof and inadequate cooking facilities were universal.

I was in the relatively newly built Durdam Hall (with good kitchens and en-suite bathrooms), slightly up the hill.  The Aeros would regularly visit to borrow our cooking and telly-watching facilities in exchange for CAKE.  The irony was that due to being self-catered, I paid less rent, and got to use the room (admittedly for storing a lot of Bunkerites' stuff) during holidays.
I think Durdham Hall hadn't yet been built when I was there, but there was self-catering just up from HB in a set of blocks called, IIRC, University Close. I can't actually remember the name of the place I was in - it was the yellowish concrete building blocks on the left of HB as you look down the hill - but I do remember I was in Unit 6 of said hall.  :facepalm: Four floors, boys at the bottom, girls at the top - it was suggested this was because boys couldn't be trusted with such heights not to throw things/each other out of the windows. Anyway, the top floor had no showers (but did have baths) because water pressure, so the girls used to come down into our floor for a shower...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #364 on: 24 January, 2014, 01:10:08 pm »
My recent dream: Someone had a small cardboard box, from which he took four green snakes. He said they were pythons. Each was a different shape, long, short, thin, fat. One of the big ones ate one of the short, fat ones. Odd.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #365 on: 24 January, 2014, 02:16:14 pm »
I think Durdham Hall hadn't yet been built when I was there, but there was self-catering just up from HB in a set of blocks called, IIRC, University Close. I can't actually remember the name of the place I was in - it was the yellowish concrete building blocks on the left of HB as you look down the hill - but I do remember I was in Unit 6 of said hall.  :facepalm:

The forgettably named "University Hall".

Four floors, boys at the bottom, girls at the top - it was suggested this was because boys couldn't be trusted with such heights not to throw things/each other out of the windows. Anyway, the top floor had no showers (but did have baths) because water pressure, so the girls used to come down into our floor for a shower...

It was university policy not to put female students on the ground floor (except facing enclosed courtyards, as with Durdham), because rapists.

In the interests of equal opportunities, male students had the opportunity to get raped on the trek across the downs, if they ventured too close to the water tower.  (A notorious cottaging ground.)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #366 on: 24 January, 2014, 08:27:07 pm »
They have street lighting there now, but not on Ladies Mile, which seems to be a popular urban dogging area. The 60mph speed limit's gone too.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #367 on: 25 January, 2014, 12:50:08 am »
I really don't get this whole "rapists are allergic to streetlights" thing.  I suspect a whole generation of NUS women's officers read too many Anne Rice novels or something.  Not that streetlighting isn't a good thing, just that there are other women's issues too (though you wouldn't know it from the campaigning material when I was at Kent).

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #368 on: 27 January, 2014, 12:37:24 pm »
I really don't get this whole "rapists are allergic to streetlights" thing.  I suspect a whole generation of NUS women's officers read too many Anne Rice novels or something.  Not that streetlighting isn't a good thing, just that there are other women's issues too (though you wouldn't know it from the campaigning material when I was at Kent).
It was (apparently) (as you already said) more men than women who were raped crossing the Downs. I don't know that the streetlights were put in specifically as an anti-rape or crime-reduction measure. It was sometimes quite spooky walking over there in the pitch dark. OTOH the lighting makes it even more like just a park, rather than the common grazing land it technically is.

Ruth

« Reply #369 on: 27 January, 2014, 05:06:33 pm »
I had an awful dream last night involving a date with a tall sexy man that ended up with me having copious watery diarrhoea in a public place with him watching in horror.

You know that bit in Prince Caspian with the island where dreams come true? Don't wanna go there.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #370 on: 28 January, 2014, 12:23:54 am »
Did I mention the one in which I discovered that George Lucas had released another - even more butchered - special edition of A New Hope?  I managed to forget many of the salient plot points after waking up, but I do remember it being set on Earth (possibly North Africa in the mid 19th century?) with Darth Vader as a good guy and steampunk slapstick camp robot shenanigans.  Indiana Jones may also have featured, though I suspect that was just wishful thinking...

Ruth

« Reply #371 on: 28 January, 2014, 02:34:18 am »
Did I mention the one in which I discovered that George Lucas had released another - even more butchered - special edition of A New Hope?  I managed to forget many of the salient plot points after waking up, but I do remember it being set on Earth (possibly North Africa in the mid 19th century?) with Darth Vader as a good guy and steampunk slapstick camp robot shenanigans.  Indiana Jones may also have featured, though I suspect that was just wishful thinking...

Bloody hell Kim. I'm not sure which of us is having the worst nightmares!

fuzzy

« Reply #372 on: 28 January, 2014, 12:37:29 pm »

Bloody hell Kim. I'm not sure which of us is having the worst nightmares!

Oh I don't know- sounds like Monty Python and A New Hope to me. I'd pay to watch that :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #373 on: 28 January, 2014, 12:46:12 pm »
Spaceballs: The Movie is all the Star Wars satire we need.

fuzzy

« Reply #374 on: 28 January, 2014, 12:49:07 pm »
Spaceballs: The Movie is all the Star Wars satire we need.

Galaxy Quest?