Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 473326 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2525 on: 14 March, 2019, 07:36:48 am »
Next edition, the bear necessities of Audax .

If we could work out how to run an urban Audax on the same date and route as the world naked bike ride.....  :o
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2526 on: 14 March, 2019, 08:37:24 am »
But where would you put your brevet card?

Phil W

« Reply #2527 on: 14 March, 2019, 08:48:46 am »
Redlight is a marsupial.

« Reply #2528 on: 14 March, 2019, 03:35:11 pm »
Redlight is a marsupial.
Oi! I resemble that remark ;D
How much can a koala bear?

Chris S

« Reply #2529 on: 14 March, 2019, 10:02:42 pm »
But where would you put your brevet card?

On a tandem, I guess the stoker has some options...

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #2530 on: 15 March, 2019, 06:45:39 am »
Don't seem to have my copy yet ☹️
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2531 on: 17 March, 2019, 11:20:43 am »
Best issue I've seen so far - good range of topics and neat layouts. Well done everyone.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

S2L

« Reply #2532 on: 17 March, 2019, 11:52:43 am »
Interesting account of man vs bear... :thumbsup:

The author was legitimately scared, as I would be, but generally speaking, black bears are not aggressive and definitively not man eaters... they are not even carnivores, one could say they are almost vegan, if it wasn't for the odd insect (and a love of honey!).
There is an inaccuracy about bear spray... it's not the smell that is foul to a bear, but more the fact that having the active ingredient of a scotch bonnet sprayed through your nostrils is likely to send you running a mile... whether you are a bear or else... the same product is repackaged in smaller cans to deter rapists.

I once witnessed a black bear, not far from Radium Hot Springs in BC... from the safety of my hired car... he went trough a field a dandelions as if it was cake... couldn't get enough of them.

BTW: I don't think the bear on the cover is a grizzly. I am more inclined to think it's still a black bear with a cinnamon fur, which is quite a common variant in North America.

« Reply #2533 on: 17 March, 2019, 02:22:50 pm »
Having just read the book ‘Bear Attacks: their causes and avoidance’, I would contest your viewpoint on black bears.

They are not as dangerous as grizzly bears, but with 23 deaths attributable to black bears between 1900 and 1980 in the US (half the number from grizzlies), they are certainly worth being cautious around. Indeed, 80% of deaths and major injuries inflicted by black bears are predatory in nature ... ie they are treating you as prey.

It is certainly worth understanding bear behaviour (as much as we can understand their sometimes unpredictable behaviour), and being prepared for bear encounters when in their territory.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2534 on: 18 March, 2019, 10:48:44 am »
Don't seem to have my copy yet ☹️
Just a quick reminder to Bludger and anyone else who hasn't received their copy, please contact me on membership@audax.uk (with your real name/number!) and I can check/resend the magazine as needed.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2535 on: 18 March, 2019, 10:34:04 pm »

My awoowoo arrived today. Looking forward to reading it.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

halhorner

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #2536 on: 15 June, 2019, 02:44:26 pm »
Latest edition particularly good I thought. Well done to all concerned.

Ben T

« Reply #2537 on: 15 June, 2019, 05:16:25 pm »
Ah, arrivée, that reminds me, could someone please tell me what is the correct email address to send any ride reports in please. Or if the person who does it is on here could they please pm me as to whether they got my email or not. Have sent one in but no idea if to the right place as never got a reply, although wouldn't have expected it to be in this one as it wasn't that long ago. Cheers.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2538 on: 15 June, 2019, 05:29:35 pm »
Ah, arrivée, that reminds me, could someone please tell me what is the correct email address to send any ride reports in please. Or if the person who does it is on here could they please pm me as to whether they got my email or not. Have sent one in but no idea if to the right place as never got a reply, although wouldn't have expected it to be in this one as it wasn't that long ago. Cheers.

Ged Lennox is the editor - gedlennox@me.com
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #2539 on: 17 June, 2019, 11:20:59 am »
Thanks to Simon Jones for a fascinating obituary of Mick Latimer, one of those who shaped AUK in the earlier days.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2540 on: 18 June, 2019, 03:36:05 pm »

My copy of awoowoo has just arrived in Amsterdam. Am looking forward to curling up with a mug of tea and having a read!

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #2541 on: 10 July, 2019, 11:05:19 pm »
Having just read the book ‘Bear Attacks: their causes and avoidance’, I would contest your viewpoint on black bears.

They are not as dangerous as grizzly bears, but with 23 deaths attributable to black bears between 1900 and 1980 in the US (half the number from grizzlies), they are certainly worth being cautious around. Indeed, 80% of deaths and major injuries inflicted by black bears are predatory in nature ... ie they are treating you as prey.

It is certainly worth understanding bear behaviour (as much as we can understand their sometimes unpredictable behaviour), and being prepared for bear encounters when in their territory.

If anyone finds themselves riding next to me happy to share lessons picked up on bear defence riding across Canada (thankfully second hand). It was a black bear my WarmShower host ...stabbed in the face... saving his coworker’s life. Incredible story of heroism.

markldn

« Reply #2542 on: 10 July, 2019, 11:07:44 pm »
Came on this thread to say how amazing David Fisk’s article on his PBP 83’ excursion was. Has settled my nerves somewhat. Looking forward to one grand adventure. But wishing we didn’t have to wear helmets so we too could look as cool as they did in the 80s! Gosh darnit.

Phil W

« Reply #2543 on: 10 July, 2019, 11:10:16 pm »
You don't have to wear helmets for PBP or riding in France. You can still be cool 8)

markldn

« Reply #2544 on: 11 July, 2019, 11:24:03 pm »
You don't have to wear helmets for PBP or riding in France. You can still be cool 8)

Rats! Now another thing to contemplate wrt equipment!

Don’t suppose they close the roads for this do they

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2545 on: 11 July, 2019, 11:27:29 pm »
No, open roads but lots of (tired) bike riders outnumbering the motor vehicles.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2546 on: 12 July, 2019, 07:48:23 am »

...and most of them sitting on your back wheel as I recall.

markldn

« Reply #2547 on: 12 July, 2019, 09:53:14 am »

...and most of them sitting on your back wheel as I recall.

lol

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2548 on: 12 July, 2019, 12:11:00 pm »
There is a reason the audax tandem has a mudflap on the rear mudguard - fellow riders are welcome.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2549 on: 12 July, 2019, 01:08:41 pm »
But is it as good as sitting behind the Boon,s tandem