Author Topic: Any experience of cat sitting services?  (Read 2485 times)

Any experience of cat sitting services?
« on: 15 November, 2020, 05:12:21 pm »
We are still hoping to go on our marathon European Interrrail trip next summer.
But - our neighbour who has previously looked after our cat will not be around for most of the time we are expecting to be away.
We really, really do not want to put The 5kg Killing Machine into a cattery for a month

So
We've looked into the possibility of paying for a cat sitter. It is affordable for someone to come in once a day to feed him and give him a bit of attention (not cheap, but probably not a lot more than a good cattery).
Have any of you good people any experience of commercial cat sitting services - what to look out for / advice / security / etc ?
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Re: Any experience of cat sitting services?
« Reply #1 on: 15 November, 2020, 05:38:28 pm »
This isn't going to be much help, I'm afraid, but we did use such a service when our Ginge was ill and needing medication twice a day, at 12 hour intervals (very unfair expecting a neighbour to stick to that sort of schedule, however willing). We had no problems, but MrsC can't remember how she found out about the person we used. I think we just let them have a key.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 15 November, 2020, 05:40:04 pm »
I messaged my local Cats Protection group on Facebook and they gave me some suggestions.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #3 on: 15 November, 2020, 06:12:51 pm »
We used to have someone come in for our last cat, seemed fine, we just got someone local who was recommended (I think by the vet).

With the current pair they have to go in the cattery, I wouldn't trust Bad Cat to go unsupervised for a long period.

« Reply #4 on: 15 November, 2020, 06:37:04 pm »
Ah! Thanks for moving this.
I wasn't sure if this was the best place, or in general questions. :thumbsup:

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #5 on: 15 November, 2020, 10:39:34 pm »
We found a good person on Cat In A Flat who lived locally (we are in quite a cat dense area).

Obviously with this sort of setup they could rob you, but I assume for an extended trip away you'd secure valuables anyway.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #6 on: 16 November, 2020, 08:51:48 am »
We found a good person on Cat In A Flat who lived locally (we are in quite a cat dense area).

Obviously with this sort of setup they could rob you, but I assume for an extended trip away you'd secure valuables anyway.
This is obv. one of our biggest concerns and why a commercial service who vet their 'franchisees' - or whatever the arrangement is - might be preferable. We'd have our family call in occasionally (and we've got a family member who might be persuaded to turn up in her illuminated vehicle complete with taser, just for effect!). Equally, it's not just while we're away that the danger lies - it's an opportunity to see where & how much valuable stuff we've got (or not - which is more the case) and where the house's weak points are / get duplicate keys cut.
It's a matter of trust.

« Reply #7 on: 16 November, 2020, 09:13:19 am »
Slightly different view

We have a friend who house/cat sits when we are on holiday (upto 3 weeks), they move in and treat it as their holiday ( they have to stay local)

Would a short term let to a known trustworthy person be acceptable?

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #8 on: 16 November, 2020, 09:51:35 am »
I'm lucky,
I have a neighbour who happily pops in to my empty, tranquil, freshly cleaned house* (!) and scoops out another load of dry cat food, checks the water etc.  She does 2 other neighbours as well, possibly more.

*she tells me this is the lure, to get away from her menfolk for some peace and quiet
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #9 on: 16 November, 2020, 12:15:32 pm »
This was one of the services offered by No2Daughters former employer - We Love Pets Cirencester.

So if you're near there, they're good.

A good provider will be covered by insurance and have loads of local recommendations.

« Reply #10 on: 16 November, 2020, 04:20:41 pm »
Slightly different view

We have a friend who house/cat sits when we are on holiday (upto 3 weeks), they move in and treat it as their holiday ( they have to stay local)

Would a short term let to a known trustworthy person be acceptable?
It's a way of converting expenditure into income (cost of sitter vs rental income) and it's a good idea, but I wouldn't ask any normal human to live with the accumulated carp in our gaff!

« Reply #11 on: 16 November, 2020, 04:40:16 pm »
I've done it before. I have 3 cats and it's significantly cheaper to get someone to visit once a day than put all 3 in a cattery. Personal recommendation is the best way to find them. As much as I have to suggest it, FaceAche is a good way to find someone. I happen to do dog-related sports, so know quite a lot of dog trainers, dog walkers etc. One of the dog walkers happens to walk dogs in the area, so would pop in to see the cats on her rounds.

Things to look for - if it is their job, they will have insurance, ask for details of emergency contact & vet details. There's still a trust issue as you need to give them keys, but if they go to a dozen houses, and you know exactly who they are, and have copies of their paperwork, the risk is much reduced.