Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 926046 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8575 on: 19 September, 2019, 10:12:41 pm »
Well that’s a shame. I went to FACT (local Picturehouse) to see Taxi Driver on a proper screen. 35mm film print.  They couldn’t get the sound to work & stopped it after 10 minutes. Now queuing for a refund.  I had to sit through 30 minutes of crap adverts first  :(

For the full deaf-person-at-a-subtitled-screening-experience, they would have continued without sound, so as not to annoy the 90% of the audience who hadn't realised it was an audio screening.

Oh, and they'd have announced what was going on by holding up pieces of card at the back of the darkened auditorium.

And done the same thing next week.

fuzzy

« Reply #8576 on: 19 September, 2019, 11:47:09 pm »
Red Joan
Judi Dench and Sophie Cookson play Joan, a woman who may or may not be a spy.

Based on the story of Melita Norwood.

I liked it very much.

« Reply #8577 on: 21 September, 2019, 09:17:43 pm »
Moon 44

I found this, having bought the DVD quite a while ago and not watched it.  I'm not sure why I bought it, but I hope it was because it was very cheap and I considered that it was worth a gamble!

The Wikipedia entry for it says that the Time Out review included the phrase "the acting is stunningly mediocre", which does rather sum up the whole film.  It's not really bad, but it never seems to go anywhere and just bimbles along with not much of a story.  It's not terrible, but it's also not very good either.  It's not even awful enough to become a cult classic.  Not Recommended.  :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #8578 on: 23 September, 2019, 12:45:02 am »
Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis. A French regional comedy, about a Post Office manager who is posted to a town in the Far North, after he tries to get a plum posting by pretending to be handicapped. Much of the comedy revolves around misunderstandings deriving from the Picard language spoken by the Ch'tis.

Very enjoyable.

ian

« Reply #8579 on: 23 September, 2019, 10:07:33 am »
Ad Astra. I confess to knowing nothing about the plot before I went in, since I'd forgotten we'd booked.

Basically, an admix of  Heart of Darkness and Sirens of Titan. Worked quite well if you like a more pensive sci-fi, the narration made it a bit wordy in places, but the action was episodic and enlivening without turning it into a Bruckheimer. I would have done a different ending.

Hmm, in other news, they're doing another Terminator movie. How about you don't fuck it up this time?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8580 on: 23 September, 2019, 02:16:51 pm »
The Coens' version of True Grit.  Better than the other one.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8581 on: 25 September, 2019, 11:20:55 am »
Aladdin

The new live action Aladdin, which OK is a film for kids, but works for adults too. :)

Admittedly this film does not have any particularly unusual or torturous plot twists, it's the story pretty much as you expect it, but it's very well made, and Will Smith utterly steals the show as the genie, with the magic carpet not far behind him. :D

Worth watching even if you don't have kids, for some feel good silliness. :thumbsup:

The 'making of' stuff on the disc is also quite impressive.  I didn't appreciate that they basically made an actually moving 'magic carpet' for the motion capture setup!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #8582 on: 25 September, 2019, 12:25:42 pm »
I was watching the film entitled; Saturday night and Sunday morning yesterday.
Unfortunately, only half of it was recorded.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8583 on: 25 September, 2019, 12:37:45 pm »
So just Saturday Night, then?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8584 on: 25 September, 2019, 01:45:50 pm »
The rest was live? :o

spindrift

« Reply #8585 on: 26 September, 2019, 11:43:21 pm »
Between Two Ferns the movie.

To Brie Larson:

"I heard you dislike personal questions because they make you uncomfortable. Is this true and how old were you when you got your first period?"

It's on Netflix.

spindrift

« Reply #8586 on: 26 September, 2019, 11:43:53 pm »
The film is on Netflix.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8587 on: 27 September, 2019, 04:32:04 pm »
Krabat - a Czech story for children that we watched on French TV around in the early 80s. It's done with 70s TV-animation tech - stop-frame with cardboard figures - but it's still excellent.  It was Englished as The Sorcerer's Apprentice. The French version is on YouTube, here: https://youtu.be/npne_DgE53E

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #8588 on: 08 October, 2019, 04:42:55 pm »
Saw that there overhyped 'Joker' at the cinema the other day.

Turned out, the hype is not hype - it really *is* very very good.  We rewatched The Dark Knight afterwards and can definitely confirm (in our household's opinion) that Mr Phoenix was even better than the late Mr Ledger as The Joker.
And it definitely isn't really a superhero/supervillain effects-fest which is quite refreshing (though I can watch the MCE all day too  :-D  ).  It is a gritty, dark and very hard-to-watch at times character-driven film.
And nowhere near as violent as I'd been led to believe - though the violence is nasty when it happens - which is not *that* often.

Only real quibble is that we had an argument afterwards about whether that was *really* a Gary Glitter tune played in a major scene towards the end?  Me - that's Glitter - my wife - no that was Adam and the Ants.....

It was Gary Glitter... hmmm.  Not sure I entirely approve of him benefiting from royalties in a major film.  But then I'm not sure I entirely approve of writing stuff out of history either.... let's just say it was ....a strange choice of tune. ???   Perhaps the director and the entire staff of the movie don't know...
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #8589 on: 08 October, 2019, 11:26:33 pm »
Saw that there overhyped 'Joker' at the cinema the other day.

Turned out, the hype is not hype - it really *is* very very good. 

Agreed.  Fantastic piece of film-making and put the last film I saw - Tarantino's Hollywood - well and truly into the shadows.

A nice touch - one of the cinemas in the Gotham City riot scenes at the end was showing "Ace in the Hole" - one of my all-time favourites and entirely apt.
The sound of one pannier flapping

caerau

« Reply #8590 on: 09 October, 2019, 09:17:56 am »
Didn't notice that - that the Charlton Heston movie from the 50s?  Yes, that's a fantastic film too.

« Reply #8591 on: 09 October, 2019, 09:35:35 am »
Didn't notice that - that the Charlton Heston movie from the 50s?  Yes, that's a fantastic film too.

Kirk Douglas - at his best!
The sound of one pannier flapping

caerau

« Reply #8592 on: 09 October, 2019, 09:38:15 am »
I always get Kirk and Charlton confused and the disease has spread here!  :facepalm:

My wife claims they look(ed) nothing like each other.  Clearly I disagree ;)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8593 on: 09 October, 2019, 01:00:20 pm »
Everest, on Netflux. The kind of film that has you on edge all the time even though you know what's going to happen. Good.

fuzzy

« Reply #8594 on: 10 October, 2019, 11:46:30 am »
Hotel Mumbai. Quite a harrowing film due to its plot relating to actual and recent events.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #8595 on: 10 October, 2019, 12:03:04 pm »
Everest, on Netflux. The kind of film that has you on edge all the time even though you know what's going to happen. Good.
whenever someone asks me why we're doing an audax I always reply 'because it's theeeeeeeere!'. It's a good film for sure.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8596 on: 10 October, 2019, 01:02:16 pm »
Best audax question I was ever asked was "does someone make you do it?", by a wee lassie of about 8.

fuzzy

« Reply #8597 on: 10 October, 2019, 03:42:51 pm »
Mission Control: The Unsung Heroes Of Apollo.
Just watched this on Netflix. A good documentary film concentrating on the steeley eyed missile men as opposed to the rocket jocks.
It was nice to put some aged faces to some legendary names.

« Reply #8598 on: 10 October, 2019, 11:35:37 pm »
Green Book

A couple of weeks ago. I thought it was very enjoyable and woke up this morning to the news that it had won an Oscar. So I wasn’t the only one who liked it.

I just watched it on Prime.  Its excellent - well worth a watch.