Author Topic: A late late post Christmas night time Ride to Bognor  (Read 17507 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: Definitely not a FNRttC Christmas Ride to Bognor 18th December
« Reply #50 on: 12 December, 2009, 09:59:11 pm »
I, for one, will not be trying to keep up with you to catch that train ;)
Spoilsport.

(grits teeth and tries to ignore the challenge).  ;)
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #51 on: 12 December, 2009, 10:10:41 pm »
I, for one, will not be trying to keep up with you to catch that train ;)
Spoilsport.

(grits teeth and tries to ignore the challenge).  ;)

And I for one could not keep up, even if I tried.

And I'll be carrying the alckyfrolic chocolate goodness  ;D

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #52 on: 12 December, 2009, 10:27:02 pm »
In that case I'll definitely make sure I don't rush off ahead!

Everything's all set.  I did a recce ride last night - Pease Pottage services in the early hours is like the Marie Celeste, but I did see 2 members of staff there, neither of whom batted an eyelid when I wheeled my bike in.  The car park was empty through.  From there to Amberley I think I saw 5 cars in total, so it will be a quiet trip.

Breakfast will be at the Lobster Pot Cafe in Felpham. This isn't the Boat House cafe used on the previous visit to Bognor, as that's shut over winter. However, the Lobster Pot is only about 100m further along. If anyone would want a vegetarian option for breakfast, please let me know.

Seeing as it's Christmas, I had been trying to negotiate for Santa to pay a visit but I understand he's tied up in Elf & Safety negotiations with the unions. Besides, I'm sure some of you lot have been too naughty this year to warrant any presents. However, as mentioned above, there will be a Christmas theme to the ride, so feel free to dress up.

Revised rollcall.

Me
TimO
Adrian
Jurek
Pippa
Mistral
MacB
thorny
Andrij
hillclimber
Clivedb
LouiseL
TopCat1
Bollo
Davywalnuts
Aperitif
ilovebikes (possibly)
adamski
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #53 on: 12 December, 2009, 10:54:32 pm »
Revised rollcall.

Me
TimO
Adrian
Jurek
Pippa
Mistral
MacB
thorny
Andrij
hillclimber
Clivedb
LouiseL
TopCat1
Bollo
Davywalnuts
Aperitif
ilovebikes (possibly)
adamski
I have added my name.

Also, given the responses to my 07h56 train booking, I've also booked a train for around 09h50.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #54 on: 12 December, 2009, 11:02:14 pm »
oops - sorry for the omission.  :-[

« Reply #55 on: 13 December, 2009, 08:29:18 pm »

Also, given the responses to my 07h56 train booking, I've also booked a train for around 09h50.

One man.

Two trains.

How does he do that? :D

« Reply #56 on: 13 December, 2009, 08:48:05 pm »

One man.

Two trains.

Well, so long as it isn't in the style of one cup two girls
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #57 on: 13 December, 2009, 08:56:46 pm »

One man.

Two trains.

Well, so long as it isn't in the style of one cup two girls

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #58 on: 14 December, 2009, 07:55:45 am »
The big chill has arrived!

Last Saturday morning, it was distinctly cool around Gatwick, and I ended up putting on my overshoes when I left Pease Pottage as it was around 2°, so this week it will be a little cooler than that.

The good news is that it should be a north-easterly wind, therefore a tailwind and there should only be small patches of fog. We may have to make a detour before Amberley, as the minor road between West Chiltington and Nutbourne was awash with water but we'll see how things are.

Definitely make sure you're wearing lots of layers though.

« Reply #59 on: 14 December, 2009, 08:37:04 am »
Can I add a +1? I have  a friend visiting from Edinburgh who's keen to come along.

« Reply #60 on: 14 December, 2009, 08:53:53 am »
That's OK so long as you remember a couple of things (i) this isn't a CTC ride, you're pretty much just "happening to be cycling in the same direction as the rest of us", so don't blame us if your bike explodes, or whatever (ii) this isn't really a ride for beginners, if he hasn't done similar distances before it probably isn't a good idea.

This ride will probably be faster, with less people (although not a lot less!) than a normal FNRttC.  It's going to be cold, sub-zero by the look of things, which is a lot colder than any other FNRttC of this year.  This doesn't really worry me, but a lot of people do wrap up very well for such temperatures.

We aren't going to cycle off and leave anyone who has a mechanical, but we're expecting a higher level of competence and readyness, so don't expect us to not be sarcastic if your tyres need pumping up, or you forget a spare inner tube. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #61 on: 14 December, 2009, 08:59:49 am »
Should I have attached his cycling cv?  ;)

« Reply #62 on: 14 December, 2009, 09:15:52 am »
I don't think we're going to check people out, but this is more a warning that you don't want to turn up on a BSO expecting us to wait for you every ten minutes, because it won't happen. ;D

(Which isn't too say that this will be a sprint, I'm not the worlds fastest rider, and I certainly won't be alone on this ride, it just won't be a casual pootle either).

This isn't a Simon run ride, and in fact he won't be on it (although this is because he's going to a party and wants to be awake for it!) so don't expect the same degree of polish and organisation, but as ever, the more the merrier.

« Reply #63 on: 14 December, 2009, 02:34:55 pm »
This is the current temperature forecast for Saturday morning, just before dawn (from XCWeather):

The light blue is a range centred on 0°C, and the slightly darker blue is centred on -3°C.

Looking at that, the colder temperatures are only just likely to reach us, and obviously it'll get warmer the closer to the coast we get.

« Reply #64 on: 14 December, 2009, 08:21:08 pm »
I've just been looking at the route.  The nasty bit looks to be the 500 foot of climbing in a couple of miles, and then an equal drop, just before Arundel.

If I've got it right, that's basically going over the South Downs, although it looks like you could avoid that by following the river, although on the OS map it appears to be footpaths, so that would be a few miles of pushing the bike (through mud?)

As far as I can see, on the August ride, we went to the East of the river around there, and only went up about 300 feet.  It's possibly slightly longer that way, but less climbing.  Adam, is there any particular reason why you went the steeper route?

« Reply #65 on: 14 December, 2009, 08:34:49 pm »
I hope you've got a main road route as back up. If it gets icy it could get nasty. There's been some rain lately which might freeze. You often get warm and cold micro climates and a cold spot could be enough for ice on the roads. Plus you can have dry roads, but then have run off from hills which freezes on the road. It's not so easy to see at night until you're on top of it. I remember cycling one very cold night on a dry road and going down a dip in the road keeping my momentum for the climb. At the bottom of the dip I heard a crunching sound. That dark bit across the width of the road that I thought was water was actually ice. :o I rode over it at about 30mph. I walked over the next patch.
But the main roads are much better drained and will be gritted.
I'll stay indoors if it's icy.

« Reply #66 on: 14 December, 2009, 08:45:19 pm »
The forecast is that it's likely to be below zero.  The forecast for the days before this is also pretty cold, and the roads are currently a bit wet, so it's unlikely that the roads will dry off much.

It's probably possible to kink sideways onto various main roads which run North-to-South if necessary, although on my limited experience some of them are still quite busy, even at that time of night.

For me, I can abandon anywhere in the first dozen or so miles with little "cost" to get home.

Maybe that is Adams justification for that road, it's main-er, so possibly likely to be reliably less icy, which is a good thing when dropping downhill fast.

« Reply #67 on: 14 December, 2009, 09:07:07 pm »
The main roads will certainly have some traffic on them, but I wouldn't say that they will be busy. Probably around 10-20 cars a minute at the most I would guess for something like the A24. The A29 should be quieter.
I'd chose the main road over icy back lanes every time. Especially at night when the traffic is low and when in a group.
It might not be icy until you're out of the suburbs of London.

« Reply #68 on: 14 December, 2009, 11:24:23 pm »
I've just been looking at the route.  The nasty bit looks to be the 500 foot of climbing in a couple of miles, and then an equal drop, just before Arundel.

If I've got it right, that's basically going over the South Downs, although it looks like you could avoid that by following the river, although on the OS map it appears to be footpaths, so that would be a few miles of pushing the bike (through mud?)

As far as I can see, on the August ride, we went to the East of the river around there, and only went up about 300 feet.  It's possibly slightly longer that way, but less climbing.  Adam, is there any particular reason why you went the steeper route?

Tim that was the off-road bit on the chalk and flint path.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #69 on: 14 December, 2009, 11:30:22 pm »
Tim that was the off-road bit on the chalk and flint path.

Doh.

That explains it.  I guess we're going to have to do the up and down road bit then.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #70 on: 15 December, 2009, 07:41:55 am »
Carrying on the B2139 through Houghton to the roundabout with the A29 is a bit of a hike, although it's not as steep as Portnalls Road in Coulsdon, and then the drop down the A284 to Arundel is a nice smooth descent with only minor bends.  But I figured it would be easier than the flint path!

However, ice is the big worry once we leave Pease Pottage services.  The section around Christs Hospital south west of Horsham, and then further on around West Chiltington and also around Packham were at times "moist" on the roads due to run-off from the fields. 

The backup plan would be to stick to the main roads out of Horsham.  Going south on the A24 would be going out of the way too much, plus the A280 section wouldn't be nice if it's icy, so the best way would be the A264 onto the A29, and then stay on the A29 until the A284 roundabout and then back on the route into Arundel.  The big downside to that is going up the hill at Bury as that's a big hill. On the plus side, we'd be nice and toasty by going up it!

So we'll have to see how the cold develops.  For example in the early hours of this morning, Gatwick dropped down to -1° but it was above freezing all points west and south of there.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #71 on: 15 December, 2009, 11:47:56 am »
Due to scheduling complications I can no longer do this ride.  :(

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #72 on: 15 December, 2009, 05:10:39 pm »
I just saw this story on the Sky website, which quotes the Met Office;

Fri 18 Dec

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting southeastern parts of England. Snow showers, especially during the first half of the day, will give local accumulations of 5 to 10cm.

I guessing that much snow in London wouldn't be too bad, but could be worse out on some of the route.  I guess we'll have to wait and see what it's like on Friday.

I'll be at work, so I'll have an idea what it's like a mile away from HPC up to about half an hour before midnight.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #73 on: 15 December, 2009, 05:50:43 pm »
Thanks Tim.  It's looking a bit more depressing now.  Just have to see what blows in.

« Reply #74 on: 15 December, 2009, 06:22:02 pm »
My 2p, for what it is worth: it's too cold and not safe. As Teethgrinder points out even if the bulk of the route is fine, the dips and hollows and unexpected spots can be absolutely lethal with ice.