Author Topic: A late late post Christmas night time Ride to Bognor  (Read 17635 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Definitely not a FNRttC Christmas Ride to Bognor 18th December
« Reply #75 on: 15 December, 2009, 06:29:05 pm »
I agree with Pluck and I'm bailing.

The risk of ice is bad enough, plus I wouldn't want to be standing around for any length of time at 4am with minus temperatures. Also, I've been out today and if it had been any colder my hands and feet would have started to suffer.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #76 on: 15 December, 2009, 06:31:43 pm »
I'm going to wait and see, it's only Tuesday, and a lot can happen to the forecast before Friday night.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #77 on: 15 December, 2009, 08:20:51 pm »
I'm going to wait and see, it's only Tuesday, and a lot can happen to the forecast before Friday night.

If you can bail out quickly on the night, that's what I'd do. The weathermen don't always get it right. But on the other hand, you really don't want to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere at night when you can't take shelter anywhere. It could be very unpleasant, even dangerous if you get tired. Falling off in the ice and becoming unconcious in freezing weather doesn't bear thinking about. Hypothermia isn't to be taken lightly.

I'm not trying to put anyone off. But it pays to be carefull and know what you could be getting into. At least have an escape planned such as 24 hour services. You should make it to Crawley I would guess and if it does turn nasty you could call it a day there. It could be fine. But some sudden heavy snowfall would change things very quickly and you may not be able to get out of it as soon as you may like.

Again, I'm not trying to put you off. If you start without the expectation of finishing and can abandon if the going gets rough, you should still have a good, allthough not very long ride.

« Reply #78 on: 15 December, 2009, 08:33:07 pm »
There's an obvious bailout shortly before Crawley, Gatwick Airport, from which there are trains back to London (and East Croydon :thumbsup:) roughly half hourly during the night (worst case wait is about an hour between 1am and 2am).  This of course assumes that the weather hasn't buggered the trains up as well.

« Reply #79 on: 15 December, 2009, 08:39:24 pm »
A couple of years ago I did what I think was an October (possibly November - doubt it but it certainly felt like it) FNR in the company of Simon L3, Hummers, Martin et al. It was not an especially cold night at the start (otherwise this wuss wouldn't have started the ride) but there were at least a couple of points at which there was black ice in the most unexpected of locations.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #80 on: 15 December, 2009, 10:01:58 pm »
Not sure it's worth doing a FNRtGatwick.........

It's a shame, as there's a little treat lined up for breakfast at Bognor.  I'll see how things develop, but I think it would be worth having a think about alternative dates.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #81 on: 15 December, 2009, 10:29:58 pm »

It's a shame, as there's a little treat lined up for breakfast at Bognor. 

Is it one or more of the following:

Cake
Champagne
Chips
Oysters
A Stripper
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #82 on: 15 December, 2009, 10:54:50 pm »
I've been really looking forward to this ride, especially given I didn't get to do the Bognor FNRttC and also my inability to finish the last one to Brighton in the pouring rain. But my enthusiasm has been replaced in the last couple of days with nerves and, if I'm honest, some fear.

Unless there is a miraculous change in the weather from the current levels of coldness (and from what I can tell the only change forecast is for it to get colder and then snow!!!), I too am going to bail as I would never cope with this distance in this temperature.  :'(

Sorry folks.

:(

« Reply #83 on: 15 December, 2009, 11:07:53 pm »
What, before we have found out what the treat is?

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #84 on: 15 December, 2009, 11:20:21 pm »
Pippa's just finding an excuse not to come along 'cos she knows the treat is a stripper.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #85 on: 15 December, 2009, 11:22:01 pm »
Pippa's just finding an excuse not to come along 'cos she knows the treat is a stripper.

If it is, nobody specified the gender. :)

(...although I'd vote for female. ;D)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #86 on: 16 December, 2009, 10:58:52 am »
Strippers indeed.  How sexist.  As if I'd do such a thing...........

Anyway, watching the weather forecasts is like the uneasy inevitability of England as they progress in the World Cup.

I've spoken to the Lobster Pot and said it's looking increasingly unlikely we'll be doing this on Friday night, but that I'd let them know definitely by Friday morning, and they're OK with that.

So, assuming the Met Office are correct and there is snow & ice, how about thinking of some alternative dates.

The next couple of Friday nights after this weekend might be tricky, so we could change this to midweek - WNRttC - Wednesday 30th December?

Another date could be to start Saturday 2nd January, although the downside to that is that on the Sunday, the trains aren't running between Barnham & Angmering, so it would mean a 9 mile pootle back to Arundel to get the train.

Any opinions?
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #87 on: 16 December, 2009, 11:46:02 am »
You could always make it a Midsummer Christmas ride. There is a precedent for this.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #88 on: 16 December, 2009, 12:58:35 pm »
I won't be in the vicinity of London, or even any of my bicycles, from around 23 December to 3rd January, so any dates inside of that range is not going to work for me.  In actuality, most dates before then aren't going to work either, since I've got so many things which need to be done, and doing something like a night ride, the day before a 200 mile drive would probably come under the heading of a Silly Thing To Do.

(I have got off of a red-eye, and driven that far, but it took ridiculous amounts of Redbull, which is horrible, but does the job.  I don't voluntarily care to try this again!)

If it doesn't happen on Friday, then it's probably going to have to wait until the New Year for me.  Much earlier in the thread we did suggest January 22nd as being equidistantly spaced with this Friday and the next "real" FNRttC in February.  That may be another option.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #89 on: 17 December, 2009, 10:23:48 am »
Even ignoring any possible snow drifts, in the early hours of Saturday morning it's going to be -3 on the south coast, meaning -4 or -5 in places out in the countryside which will mean lots of nasty ice with the stuff that will have melted during the day, so sadly, this ride is now CANCELLED.

« Reply #90 on: 17 December, 2009, 10:28:09 am »
Yes, the Met Office's 60% chance of heavy snowfall suggests that it's probably not a good idea to attempt this ride. :(

Even if that didn't materialise, the temperatures forecast are below zero for pretty much the entire route now, so some ice on the roads is almost certain.

« Reply #91 on: 17 December, 2009, 10:34:34 am »
....... so sadly, this ride is now CANCELLED.

Sadly but sensibly, methinks, Adam.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #92 on: 17 December, 2009, 10:38:26 am »
To avoid having to dig snow caves like Yehuda Moon, that sounds like a smart move.  Shame, but sensible.
Getting there...

« Reply #93 on: 17 December, 2009, 10:39:36 am »
Dammit, don't you just hate it when people have entirely sensible reasons for cancelling something. :demon:

To avoid having to dig snow caves like Yehuda Moon, that sounds like a smart move.  Shame, but sensible.

No snowplough is getting the chance to eat my bike. ;D

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #94 on: 17 December, 2009, 10:52:15 am »
....... so sadly, this ride is now CANCELLED.

Sadly but sensibly, methinks, Adam.

Weather-wise, it's a big contrast with the (daytime) ride we did on 20th December 2008 to Whitstable, when I was in shorts.

Who would have thought we'd get snow this time of year?

« Reply #95 on: 17 December, 2009, 04:19:32 pm »
real shame about the ride. had already started eating lardy foods in preparation for the cold  ;D

« Reply #96 on: 17 December, 2009, 07:40:42 pm »
Who would have thought we'd get snow this time of year?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9vPfOjAw5Z0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/9vPfOjAw5Z0&rel=1</a>

spen666

Could it not be a snow man building ride instead

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I think you are a bunch of wusses. :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

I think you are a bunch of wusses. :P

Guilty as charged sir.