Linked Events

• Loughborough to London: 03 July, 2010

Author Topic: Loughborough to London - Sat. 3rd July  (Read 6229 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Loughborough to London - Sat. 3rd July
« on: 21 May, 2010, 05:07:40 pm »
Seeing as the CTC AGM this month dragged on for so long, the original plan afterwards to ride all the way back to London had to be abandoned.

However, as the route is such a nice one, I'm thinking of having another go at this.  The provisional route is shown here.  It may get tweaked a bit at the London end.

In total it's 122 miles (196 km), but if anyone wants to make it a DIY 200 audax, I'm quite happy to add on a bit extra.  ;)

It goes through some spectacular countryside, and although there are some minor hills to climb, there's some gorgeous descents.  Most of the route outside of London is on B or even more minor roads, and I've already done almost all of the route once if not twice or more in places.  I did happen to notice several nice pubs to stop at, for thirst quenching/eating purposes.  

The start point is from Loughborough station at 10.15, and conveniently, trains from London St Pancras can be obtained for £15 standard class or (currently) the same price for First class, which take about 1hr 20 mins.  For bail out points if required, the route is fairly close to 2 separate mainline rail routes.  I'd reckon on getting back to St Pancras around 8 pm.  

I'm suggesting doing this on Saturday 3rd July, but can move it, although it doesn't clash with a WARTY or FNRttC.  I'll also be posting this on CC.

Anyone else interested?
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

chris

• (aka chris)
Re: Loughborough to London (definitely not the CTC AGM)
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2010, 05:14:30 pm »
I'm interested in riding up to the start from Northampton, then back to Northampton again. Would that be OK?

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2010, 05:25:09 pm »
Absolutely fine.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2010, 05:44:58 pm »
Thanks, I'll pencil it in the diary.

« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2010, 09:06:56 pm »
Yep.

Unfinished business, as it were.....  ;)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #5 on: 21 May, 2010, 09:11:49 pm »
Oh God, I appear to be free that day. I may come along, tho it is my last weekend before I head off to Dutchland so bike fettling may be in order.....If I do come along I'll be DIY-ing into a 200, but starting in Notts so no need to tweak the route.

[Edit] Turning it into a 400 k and cycling back would be crazy, right? ;D
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #6 on: 21 May, 2010, 09:18:01 pm »
 :thumbsup:

I knew as soon as I mentioned 200K, you'd be up for this.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #7 on: 21 May, 2010, 09:47:00 pm »

Funny that, was my first thought also ;D
Can't make the date though.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #8 on: 21 May, 2010, 10:03:13 pm »

Something like that had crossed my mind too - Northampton - Lougborough - London - Northampton. I'll give it some thought!

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #9 on: 21 May, 2010, 10:15:45 pm »
Interested....I would have to get a 5.30am train, but worth it I think, heck of a day out!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #10 on: 22 May, 2010, 06:12:49 am »
For anyone coming up from London, there are 2 convenient East Midlands trains you can get from St Pancras.  A fast one leaving at 08.25, arriving 09.44, and a slightly slower one leaving 08.30, arriving 10.04.

Officially, the trains have 2 bookable bike spaces in a small compartment usually at the rear of the train.  However you can fit at least 5 bikes in there (as seen the other week).  So if you want to reserve a bike space, do it early.  Please note the East Midlands web site won't let you do this on-line, so buy your tickets via another provider such as Southern or National Express East Anglia, which does let you reserve a bike space on-line, once you've reserved a seat.  As mentioned above, currently First Class tickets can be had for the same price as Cattle Fare, and you can get a free tea or coffee from the buffet car.

A slight complication I ought to mention is that Loughborough has a short platform, and if the bikes are at the rear, you have to manoeuvre them up the aisle into the next carriage, as the doors on the last carriage remain locked.

They do give an announcement stating this as you arrive at Loughborough, to remind you, but it's probably best to make your way leisurely back to the bike compartment once the train pulls out of the previous stop at Leicester, as then it's 9 minutes to Loughborough.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #11 on: 22 May, 2010, 10:30:52 am »
I took the train from Gatwickto Lufbra for the AGM, and I managed to get the tickets £12 each way (Gatwick-EM Parkway, Lufbra-Gatwick)

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #12 on: 22 May, 2010, 09:24:42 pm »
As already posted elsewhere, I'm in. No cycle reservations available on the 0825 for some reason  ;D

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
Re: Loughborough to London - Sat. 3rd July
« Reply #13 on: 24 May, 2010, 08:41:25 pm »
I'm in I think. As long as I can do some diary rearranging.....

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #14 on: 24 May, 2010, 10:09:38 pm »

Looks like there might be at least 10 then, taking into account people from CC.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #15 on: 25 May, 2010, 06:10:30 am »

Looks like there might be at least 10 then, taking into account people from CC.
I quite like the look of this ride- just worried about how fast you might be planning to go.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #16 on: 25 May, 2010, 06:16:34 am »
As already posted elsewhere, I'm in. No cycle reservations available on the 0825 for some reason  ;D
I've taken a provisional look at possible trains- managed to find a bike space on 8.25 train- (i haven't booked it yet so you could get in quick for that one- still not sure if I would slow up the pace.) Are you using a booking site that enables bike booking?  East Coast trains is the one I use.
Wondering whether to take the 6.37 train and get a headstart so you can all catch me up!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #17 on: 25 May, 2010, 04:59:13 pm »
It'll be faster than a FNRttC, but certainly speed-wise I don't think you'll have a problem.  However, if you want to get to the first pub stop early, mine's a pint.  ;)

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #18 on: 25 May, 2010, 05:21:20 pm »
Well now I have booked that bike space on the 8.25 am, so I'll just have to keep up.

« Reply #19 on: 25 May, 2010, 05:47:13 pm »
Well now I have booked that bike space on the 8.25 am...

That's odd - on Saturday when I tried to book 2 bikes onto the 08.25 train I was told bike space wasn't available.....
Maybe because I was looking for two spaces....  ???

Thus, we find ourselves on the 08.30 service.

« Reply #20 on: 25 May, 2010, 05:54:39 pm »
Why Lufbra? I lived and worked there for a few years. What a shit hole......

I did have fun there though  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #21 on: 25 May, 2010, 06:02:16 pm »
Why Lufbra?

Some of the roads we encountered when we started on our trunkated journey home from the CTC AGM were exceptionally nice.
The sort of roads that car commercial location scouts would die for - only without much traffic.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #22 on: 22 June, 2010, 03:09:04 pm »
I'm out. Doing it as a DIY 400 would be fun, but it'll require sleep deprivation, which I cannot afford to happen.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #23 on: 22 June, 2010, 07:48:03 pm »
No worries.

Another time.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #24 on: 27 June, 2010, 10:53:44 am »
Looks like there'll be at least 15 for this.

Lunchtime pub stop all sorted, at the Swan Inn, Braybrooke, and we'll probably stop at the large Tesco's in Flitwick to grab some more food.  Hopefully the weather will be like it is at the moment.