Linked Events

• Dun Run II - battery powered : 01 October, 2010

Author Topic: Dun Running? - then why not Dun Run II the battery powered version?  (Read 13030 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Seeing as I missed this year's Dun Run fun, someone (who really ought to know better) suggested to me about trying the route later on, but without the thousands of participants.

So, as I rarely am able to ignore such a challenge, it would make sense to start on a Friday night, as that way the trains back to civilisation are better on a Saturday.  Seeing as September is mainly taken up with FNRttC rides, Friday 1st October seems as good a date as any.

Sudbury has a 24 hour Tesco for a halfway break if required, but we could always investigate the late opening pubs on the route as well.

Who else is interested?
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Halloween

• It's party time....
Re: Dun Running? - then why not Dun Run II the battery powered version?
« Reply #1 on: 27 July, 2010, 09:21:44 pm »
I might be up for this - missed the dun run with being away working in the Middle East (Qatar  not Cambridge!) - and it's been my favourite ride for many years....

« Reply #2 on: 27 August, 2010, 01:26:45 pm »
This is somehow very appealing.  I missed this year's main event thorugh being on holiday and have not yet lined up any other rides (although I'm also tempted by the 'zilla's October Oxford to the Smoke ride).  I need to work a bit on shedding weight and being kind to my knees after a month off the bike but 1 October should give me enough time to get back into some sort of (slightly round) shape.

Were you thinking of cooking on the beach?

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #3 on: 27 August, 2010, 01:45:40 pm »
Could you tell me where this ride will start from & what time.  I may be interested if I can get a train somewhere near the start. 
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #4 on: 27 August, 2010, 03:31:40 pm »
Start at the traditional Dun Run start of London Fields, but at midnight.  That way we get to the beach in time for the Flora Cafe to open (and the pubs).
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #5 on: 03 September, 2010, 12:21:41 pm »
I'm gently bumping this thread, principally to check that there are still going to be other cyclists converging on London Fields on 1 October.

Are still on for this? I do hope so!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6 on: 03 September, 2010, 12:43:45 pm »
I should be there.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 03 September, 2010, 01:25:25 pm »
I'm gently bumping this thread, principally to check that there are still going to be other cyclists converging on London Fields on 1 October.

I might be - this is the first time I'd seen a date mentioned!
I'm taking delivery of a new road bike next week and will no doubt have some tweaks to fit etc to do, but all being well should be up to doing this run. The 'original' in July was fab!

BTW, on my old bike I was a bit slow on this run, hoping to be quicker on the new bike.... but, have to ask... will this be a 'no drop' ride?  ::-) :)
Rebecca

2013 custom Enigma Etape
2010 Surly Cross Check
1978 Puch Princess mixte
2012 bespoke Brompton S8L

velovoice.blogspot.co.uk/
@velovoice

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #8 on: 03 September, 2010, 07:05:10 pm »

I might be - this is the first time I'd seen a date mentioned!
I'm taking delivery of a new road bike next week and will no doubt have some tweaks to fit etc to do, but all being well should be up to doing this run. The 'original' in July was fab!

BTW, on my old bike I was a bit slow on this run, hoping to be quicker on the new bike.... but, have to ask... will this be a 'no drop' ride?  ::-) :)

We'll be gentle with you!  I don't intend doing a mad dash for the coast, but intend on getting there 10 am-ish or a bit after, depending upon how long we stop at Tesco's in Sudbury, so a moving average of 12-13 mph.  So the intention will be not to drop people.  I'm only expecting about 10 people overall, which is manageable.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #9 on: 05 September, 2010, 07:51:16 am »
Just checking on the return journey, as somehow I very much doubt I'll be cycling back.  Train tickets from Darsham* to London Liverpool Street can be obtained for between £8 and £10.  I'm booked on the 13.38 departure.

* Darsham is about 6 miles from Dunwich.

« Reply #10 on: 05 September, 2010, 08:09:18 am »
* Darsham is about 6 miles from Dunwich.

... and about as small a station as I've ever used with a bike.

I'm seriously tempted to do this ride, without the crowds of people, and weight of camping kit!

Thinks ...
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 05 September, 2010, 02:09:04 pm »
I'm a little bit tempted too.  I've done very little night riding this year, and it would be interesting to do it without carrying half my bodyweight in Stuff...

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #12 on: 05 September, 2010, 04:29:40 pm »
Seeing as I missed this year's Dun Run fun, someone (who really ought to know better) suggested to me about trying the route later on, but without the thousands of participants.

Was that me?  ;D

Initially I was a yes, then I umm-ed and ahh-ed about it and worried about the pace so told Adam no. And then I saw this again today and thought it'd be OK and I'd manage. And then I checked my diary and it now seems as if I will be in Spain  :facepalm:

« Reply #13 on: 05 September, 2010, 04:48:16 pm »
I'm booked on the 13.38 departure.

Moi aussi  :)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #14 on: 05 September, 2010, 08:15:29 pm »

Was that me?  ;D

Initially I was a yes, then I umm-ed and ahh-ed about it and worried about the pace so told Adam no. And then I saw this again today and thought it'd be OK and I'd manage. And then I checked my diary and it now seems as if I will be in Spain  :facepalm:

Another holiday???!!!!!!!

You've just had 17 days.

;D

Mind you, I realised last week, I've got enough unused holiday carried forward to take the next month off completely.

Mmm..............

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #15 on: 05 September, 2010, 08:38:48 pm »
Another holiday???!!!!!!!

You've just had 17 days.

;D

Yes. And exactly why I need a(nother) holiday....  ;D

This one to Spain will not involve cycling or lycra. It will involve girls and wine   ;)

« Reply #16 on: 05 September, 2010, 10:22:33 pm »
This one to Spain will not involve cycling or lycra. It will involve girls and wine   ;)

In that case, can I come with you to Spain? :P

Failing that (inevitably) I'm interested in the Dun Run II.
It could be a bit damp and nippy on a night ride at that time of year, on the other hand, it'll more likely be pretty good.

« Reply #17 on: 06 September, 2010, 12:31:47 pm »
I'm booked on the 13.38 back to LPoo Street as well.

« Reply #18 on: 09 September, 2010, 10:30:27 pm »
but am now wondering whether anyone else might like my ticket as I have sustained a non-cycling injury today that may rule this ride out   :'(

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #19 on: 09 September, 2010, 10:33:46 pm »
but am now wondering whether anyone else might like my ticket as I have sustained a non-cycling injury today that may rule this ride out   :'(

Sorry to hear about the injury.  Hope it heals soon. 

I'll take your ticket if you're definitely out.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #20 on: 09 September, 2010, 10:36:26 pm »

That's a bummer  :(

« Reply #21 on: 09 September, 2010, 10:52:26 pm »
Andrij, you're welcome to my ticket if I'm definitely out.  Can I see what the morning brings?  I don't know yet whether this is a long term issue but right now I can't walk...

« Reply #22 on: 26 September, 2010, 05:59:22 pm »
I was (rather belatedly) checking trains and ticket prices, and the various ticket selling websites only have trains at 0638 and 1738. :-\

Some of you have tickets for 1338, how did you manage to get these?
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23 on: 26 September, 2010, 07:08:53 pm »
Adam and I discussed this yesterday a.m. but I've decided that I wouldn't be comfortable with the pace so I'll wish you well and go a WARTYing instead.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #24 on: 26 September, 2010, 07:44:21 pm »
I was (rather belatedly) checking trains and ticket prices, and the various ticket selling websites only have trains at 0638 and 1738. :-\

Some of you have tickets for 1338, how did you manage to get these?

I used the East Cost site (eastcoast.co.uk), 1338 shows up fine (just checked after reading your post).