Linked Events

• The really long night ride to the coast - 9th August: 09 August, 2013

Author Topic: The really long night ride to the coast - 9th August  (Read 2133 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
The really long night ride to the coast - 9th August
« on: 16 June, 2013, 09:41:38 pm »
I've always had fond memories of the traditional FNRttC Whitstable route which involved the delights of Croom's Hill at Greenwich, Shooters Hill, the urban misery of Welling, and the cycle path over the A249 to drop down into Sittingbourne amongst others.

Seeing as I haven't run any rides into Kent for a while, I've put together a "best of" route to Dover, which incorporates the above, along with the tank museum in Chatham, a stunning ridge top ride along the top of the Downs, and then a 10 mile continuous stretch of road where you don't have to think about whether or not you need to turn left or right, with a lovely swoop downhill and there's only 1 crossroads to worry about, before passing an historic WWII airfield and popping out above the cliff tops between Folkestone and Dover. Depending upon time/hunger pressures, we can make a detour to the Battle of Britain Memorial site, before the long, fast descent into Dover.

As it's just over 90 miles, I'm running this as a night ride, so leaving Hyde Park Corner in old London town at midnight on Friday 9th August, stopping off at the 24 hour Asda in Sittingbourne after 48 miles for a break, and then breakfast in the middle of Dover.  Usual rules apply - no-one left behind.  The approximate route is shown here.

You can cycle back, although trains are available.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The really long night ride to the coast - 9th August
« Reply #1 on: 16 June, 2013, 09:47:09 pm »
*notes in calendar*

« Reply #2 on: 16 June, 2013, 09:54:09 pm »
Mmmm ponders
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: 17 June, 2013, 10:13:44 am »
This looks good - I will check availability.

« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2013, 10:34:12 am »
That's the week before the Exmouth Exodus.......   could be a good warm up......
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2013, 10:44:27 am »
Noted.

If things go to plan, I'd be working from home Friday, allowing me to get some proper sleep before setting off.  *crosses fingers*
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 08 August, 2013, 01:45:16 pm »
I'm wondering about this, having been a bit thin on any rides of any distance this year.  A relatively easy night ride would probably be fun.  Whilst I appreciate you've got a no-one left behind caveat, how fast are you expecting to be? I wouldn't want to be the slow one holding everyone else back, and I've only done up to about 70 miles recently.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #7 on: 08 August, 2013, 09:11:07 pm »
I'm wondering about this, having been a bit thin on any rides of any distance this year.  A relatively easy night ride would probably be fun.  Whilst I appreciate you've got a no-one left behind caveat, how fast are you expecting to be? I wouldn't want to be the slow one holding everyone else back, and I've only done up to about 70 miles recently.

We won't be rushing!  Not expecting to get to the coast until at least 9-ish (as I'm hoping to provide a little cliff top treat for breakfast).
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #8 on: 09 August, 2013, 08:33:14 am »
Having done a recce ride last weekend, the amended route we'll be taking is shown here.

« Reply #9 on: 09 August, 2013, 09:13:15 am »
This is going to be a mild temperature ride, the absolute lowest forecast temperature I've seen is 11°C, but it's more likely to not get below 15°C, with a slight tailwind, which is good.

I'm trying to decide whether to stick with a short sleeved jersey or ere slightly on the side of caution, and wear a long sleeved summer weight one.  I doubt we'll need much more than that.  We could catch the odd patch of locally cooler air, so the long sleeved one is probably a better idea, and we're not that likely to suffer from extreme heat.

« Reply #10 on: 11 August, 2013, 12:20:34 pm »
I did a smidgen over 110 miles overall.

A fine ride Adam, I've felt more knackered after 60 miles of FNRttC, so the hilly bits didn't impact me much, luckily. Well done on organising the optimal mid-summer night ride weather as well.  ;D

I was a little tired however, but no worse than any other night ride.  I had a brief snooze in the afternoon, when I tried to watch a film and fell asleep after seeing the start, twice, before I gave up!

GPX track on GPSies