Author Topic: ACME 'Who's Entered What' Audax Thread  (Read 21505 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: ACME 'Who's Entered What' Audax Thread
« Reply #25 on: 23 March, 2021, 07:51:42 pm »
@Phil: Will your Rutland 300 be similar / the same to the Wilsden Rutland Weekend 300 that ran in 2015?  Route from the 2015 version is here: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/1473325 (That brings back memories of a baking hot day on which I screwed up fluid intake on the way back and felt pretty shit.)
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #26 on: 23 March, 2021, 08:04:48 pm »
My aim is to build up to the ACME Grand, and complete the welsh super randonee along the way. Immediate plans are:

03 Apr - Double Dutch
11 Apr - The Shark (since Tour de Stour is full)
17 Apr - Woodman
01 May - G&Y
09 May - Hop Garden
17 Jul - A&S
02 Sep - ACME Grand

Leaving room for a few bikepacking adventures.

Cor, The Shark is a bugger!   Me and 'fandango did that in 2015 (I think) and it was all I could do to stop him from getting the train back from the southcoast  ;)  If I recall bobb was there too.

It did require a modicum of effort, If I remember correctly you were questioning your sanity after about 50km! Bobb was kind enough to pace me around, though he did have a sudden strange psst halfway up Kidd's Hill, I thought it was just an excuse for a rest. A good pub finish.

« Reply #27 on: 23 March, 2021, 08:28:12 pm »
@Phil: Will your Rutland 300 be similar / the same to the Wilsden Rutland Weekend 300 that ran in 2015?  Route from the 2015 version is here: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/1473325 (That brings back memories of a baking hot day on which I screwed up fluid intake on the way back and felt pretty shit.)

Essentially yes, though I’m looking at reversing the out and back loops north of Oundle to enable a food stop control at Oakham from around 6am. This assumes a midnight start, which is current plan. Optional curry in Baldock before start. So think of it more like a figure of 8 in terms of tracing but same route. A couple of tweaks here and there but nothing major. Sunrise just after 5am on the day.

I’d asked Ian about reviving his old event, before the pandemic struck. He has sent me all his materials for it. Original pre pandemic plan involved village halls and start at northern end as well. But that option will now wait till 2022 at earliest.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #28 on: 23 March, 2021, 09:09:16 pm »
Nothing yet.  Might do Just off to Whitchurch permanent.  Feels like a PBP year with events filling up as soon as they are up, which I find stressful.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #29 on: 23 March, 2021, 09:51:51 pm »
I am organising a Rutland 300 from Baldock for 14th August, if that fits your plans.  Midnight start after a curry if all goes to plan. Should appear in calendar in the next week or so.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll look out for it.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #30 on: 28 March, 2021, 01:10:54 pm »
Updated

03 Apr - Double Dutch
17 Apr - Woodman + ECE
01 May - G&Y
09 May - Hop Garden
28 May - Hereward
17 Jul - A&S
24 Jul - Arts and Science + ECE
02 Sep - ACME Grand

Others on the horizon

Cambrian ACP Super Randonnée - Randonneur - needs to fit into a nice weekend when Wales is open
19 Jun - (non-Audax) - Hope 1000 - unlikely, unless conditions in Switzerland are good by then
03 Jul - (non-Audax) -  Italy Divide - unlikely, unless conditions in Italy are good by then
14 Aug - Rutland 300
26 Aug - Stravanger 1000 - depends on factors in Norway at the time

« Reply #31 on: 29 March, 2021, 10:53:53 am »
Updated:
Entered
17/04/21: Woodman & ECE
28/05/21: Hereward the Wake 300km

Still possible:
09/05/21: Hop Garden 200km
20/06/21: Windmill 200km (if it runs)
03/07/21: Fenland Friends 600k

Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #32 on: 30 March, 2021, 06:08:00 pm »
Updated

03 Apr - Double Dutch
17 Apr - Woodman + ECE
01 May - G&Y
09 May - Hop Garden
28 May - Hereward
17 Jul - A&S
24 Jul - Arts and Science + ECE
02 Sep - ACME Grand

Others on the horizon

Cambrian ACP Super Randonnée - Randonneur - needs to fit into a nice weekend when Wales is open
19 Jun - (non-Audax) - Hope 1000 - unlikely, unless conditions in Switzerland are good by then
03 Jul - (non-Audax) -  Italy Divide - unlikely, unless conditions in Italy are good by then
14 Aug - Rutland 300
26 Aug - Stravanger 1000 - depends on factors in Norway at the time

Does that mean I'm going to give you another 250km lead out on the ACME Grand?  ::-)

« Reply #33 on: 30 March, 2021, 06:16:33 pm »
Does that mean I'm going to give you another 250km lead out on the ACME Grand?  ::-)

There was me hoping you might at least last until the hills this time ...

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #34 on: 30 March, 2021, 06:22:55 pm »

No worries, I'm in training, up to 25km already, Wales holds no demons for me.

« Reply #35 on: 30 March, 2021, 06:51:18 pm »

Great stuff. Do post the rides you're planning to do ... or shout if you want to get some practice in the southern hills.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #36 on: 30 March, 2021, 06:56:09 pm »

Great stuff. Do post the rides you're planning to do ... or shout if you want to get some practice in the southern hills.

Take ‘fandango with you when you ride The Shark, he loves that ride!

« Reply #37 on: 01 April, 2021, 03:35:30 pm »
Hereward the Wake 300 (28/05) now entered.

« Reply #38 on: 03 April, 2021, 02:20:58 pm »
Well having just wondered how I can start riding again and logging in I find all the ACME events closed, which is hardly surprising, this means I will be GPSing everything for an SR which means I probably won't be bothered.... Ah dear.... where is that mojo gone?

Hopefully a few other events will open up and appeal. I would like to do a classic Essex SR (A+S, G+Y, FL) as I think I will find anything over 50km a challenge at the moment so the flatter and the better known the better.

A

« Reply #39 on: 03 April, 2021, 03:15:10 pm »
Well having just wondered how I can start riding again and logging in I find all the ACME events closed, which is hardly surprising, this means I will be GPSing everything for an SR which means I probably won't be bothered.... Ah dear.... where is that mojo gone?

Hopefully a few other events will open up and appeal. I would like to do a classic Essex SR (A+S, G+Y, FL) as I think I will find anything over 50km a challenge at the moment so the flatter and the better known the better.

A

Hereward the Wake 300 is still open

https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=8807

Asparagus  and Strawberries 400 is still open

https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=8662

Fenland Friends 600 is still open

https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=8690

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #40 on: 04 April, 2021, 10:13:48 am »

Take ‘fandango with you when you ride The Shark, he loves that ride!

I do love The Shark OD, especially when you ride with me.

Thanks psyclist, that's kind of you, but my fitness is way off at the moment, I'll work on it and hopefully ride with you soon(ish).

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: 09 April, 2021, 02:07:09 pm »
08.40 start for me tomorrow on the TdS 200km. Back to the winter kit I think ...

Judging by recent rides, I'll be chugging round in about 11 hours.

« Reply #42 on: 09 April, 2021, 02:31:54 pm »
I'd have loved to have joined you on that, but entries were full by the time I got my act together, alas.   TdS was my first Audax, merrily stomping along behind tippers_kiwi and a tandem, until a surfeit of lunch had its way with me in the afternoon.
Have fun. It's a lovely route.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

felstedrider

« Reply #43 on: 09 April, 2021, 02:34:58 pm »
08.40 start for me tomorrow on the TdS 200km. Back to the winter kit I think ...

Judging by recent rides, I'll be chugging round in about 11 hours.

I'm 10 minutes after you.   I'll be riding there and back as a bit of a test.   I got round R&R in 9hrs last weekend in similar conditions.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: 09 April, 2021, 05:40:21 pm »
I'm 10 minutes after you.   I'll be riding there and back as a bit of a test.   I got round R&R in 9hrs last weekend in similar conditions.

You'll pass me soon! I considered riding there and back, but it'd be nearly a 300km day and I'm not sure I'm ready for that - I'll be going round the Woodman on Sunday, in particular to check the state of Paslow Hall farmyard. I want to enjoy that and not be suffering!

The TdS was the first ride I managed to stick with Deniece all day and not lose her somewhere en-route, back in the day, probably mid-to-late noughties. I think she has a place on the 100km tomorrow.

« Reply #45 on: 09 April, 2021, 05:55:24 pm »
Rode the Grand Tour de Stour in 2016. A figure of eight loop from memory , based from Long Melford. A fine day out.

« Reply #46 on: 12 April, 2021, 12:54:58 pm »
Tomsk has been as organised as ever and sent out his Woodman emails.
Really rather looking forward to it, especially if it stays dry. My Saturday morning ride took me up the Stour valley and some of those on the Tour de Stour were coming down it - into the headwind.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

felstedrider

« Reply #47 on: 12 April, 2021, 01:20:34 pm »
Rode the Grand Tour de Stour in 2016. A figure of eight loop from memory , based from Long Melford. A fine day out.

It was a lovely day out and my first time on this ride.   The controls were replaced by infos which called for regular stops.   It was chilly in the NEly and quite exposed at Harwich.

I caught Tomsk after about an hour and chatted for a while.   Bumped into a few old friends on and off, but spent a lot of the day on my own.   I rode to and from Long Melford and clocked just under 300k.

« Reply #48 on: 13 April, 2021, 10:41:29 pm »
re the Woodman, can anyone help me about trains from London? Normally I'd go via Cambridge to Elsenham, but there are engineering works north of Stansted, and replacement buses. So I'm thinking of Finsbury Park, which I know well, and across to Tottenham Hale by tube or bike.

I know that many trains from there will be the Stansted Express service, but are these mixed with regular trains that actually do useful things such as carry bikes? Any of the airport, Stansted Mountfitchet or Bishops Stortford would be OK (probably in that order because of distance and avoiding the M11 roundabout).

If it does need to be the Stansted Express, I have a cunning plan, but my preferred Audax bike is a regular one. For that matter, are they used to people showing up at the airport station and just wandering out of the door? ;D

« Reply #49 on: 14 April, 2021, 12:00:15 am »
The Stansted Express uses the same trains as the other services and there are no guards, so the chance of getting grief is extremely low, especially boarding at Tottenham Hale where all trains go from the same platform. Heading back you'll likely be fine if you ride to Bishop's Stortford.

No non-folding bikes allowed on the relevant bit of the tube, as I'm sure you know.

(I've never taken a bike through the airport station)