Author Topic: Rugby League  (Read 23382 times)

Rugby League
« on: 16 February, 2020, 02:16:41 pm »
No post on the topic.  Am I really the only one who follows the sport?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Re: Rugby League
« Reply #1 on: 16 February, 2020, 04:33:29 pm »
No.

Rochdale Hornets ground-share with the football team.  The first half of the season is often a washout!

Good result for Huddersfield last week.  My wife's uncle, Joe Peel, used to play for them when they were Far Town.  Calling yourself "Giants" was always asking for trouble.

« Reply #2 on: 16 February, 2020, 11:49:20 pm »
I'm not from a league background, but inherited it from my in-laws (Hull KR).  Being foreign I nominally support the Catalans, so that whole Folau saga is working out really nice for me.  It's like we're a halfway house for players no one else would touch with a bargepole.

What are your thoughts on Toronto in the English League?

« Reply #3 on: 17 February, 2020, 01:23:47 am »
Same as they are for Catalans!  Anyway, the days of local sides are long gone, except in the lower leagues.  Oddly, Toronto train in Rochdale!  Rochdale themselves were founder members (with Huddersfield, I think) but those days are also long gone and Rochdale are in Division 3 this season.

I never played league, but I like the game very much.  The scrum is killing Rugby Union (that and steroids).  But I still watch it, having played ar school and college.  My limp never lets me forget!

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #4 on: 17 February, 2020, 02:15:12 am »
I played Union for 25 years to a pretty good standard.  In the early 80's, I also played two games of League for £$£ [under an assumed name] for a team in Cumbria.  I never told a soul until well after Union went professional as I didn't want the then mandatory life ban.

I've got to be honest, I found League boring to play.

It paid for a couple of weekends in the Lake District seeing a young lady that I'd met whilst in Carlisle playing Union for my County.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 17 February, 2020, 06:01:29 am »
I'll watch the occasional game, but being ingrained in union as player and referee, I find league tactically less interesting with no real contested restarts and only six points of contact.  In some of the real nailbiting union matches, you can see teams putting together double figures of rucks or mauls before forcing the error
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 17 February, 2020, 10:02:35 am »
The other day I watched a highlights reel of the 1988 New Year's Day match between Wigan and Warrington, the one they called World War III.

https://youtu.be/mjLC_vqhfZ0

First time I've watched any League since I was in my teens.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7 on: 17 February, 2020, 11:28:50 pm »
Union gets a big following from ex-players, as a non-player I just see people kicking the ball back and forth up the pitch, dropping the ball and then 5 minutes of stoppage until a team concedes a penalty at the scrum (seemingly at random).  When I watched it with an ex player it was much better and 10-15 years ago I remember watching some cracking matches with really good skill levels ... but it just doesn't have the appeal anymore.
League is designed as a spectator sport and as a pure spectator I find it much better than any other footy code.

Great to see that Catalans are removing rainbow flags to prevent any injury to their advertising.  I may have to switch my support to our hated Derby rivals (London).

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 17 February, 2020, 11:36:05 pm »
I think high marks in Aussie Rules football are pretty spectator friendly
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-BAaCBC1V1Q
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #9 on: 18 February, 2020, 01:15:51 am »
What an amazing collection, D!  I don't know how Rules is played, so I'll be reading up.  Unlike rugby union players these days, they look like normal human beings, except for being mostly tall.  There's some terrific athleticism shown - I think some of them could hurdle to an Olympic high jump medal.  There's a lot of "eye-watering" shoulder-straddling in the climbs, so I imagine the singing in the showers is pretty soprano.  I'm going to find some clips on the tube to get more familiar.  Is the injury rate high?  I imagine broken shoulders and necks are on the cards.  Definitely a bonkers sport.

Thanks for sharing - as they say on the street.

peter

« Reply #10 on: 18 February, 2020, 08:51:39 am »
Yeah, I hadn't included Ozzy rules, Gaelic and Kabaddi in my list because.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 18 February, 2020, 09:16:49 am »
I come from a part of Oz that is League through-and-through (worked at the Lang Park Cauldron and all) and still think that Aussie Rules is more spectator-friendly. Amazing athleticism.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 18 February, 2020, 09:41:36 am »
Yeah, I hadn't included Ozzy rules, Gaelic and Kabaddi in my list because.

Anyone for buzkashi?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #13 on: 18 February, 2020, 02:35:22 pm »
League is designed as a spectator sport and as a pure spectator I find it much better than any other footy code.

I used to love watching League in the days where Martin Offiah and Ellery Hanley used to boss it for Wigan. I stopped watching it in the mid 2000s I guess, when it seemed to be smash it up the middle 5 times and try for a 40:20 or whatever it was called. With union it feels like every ruck has the potential for a penalty (either way) - it drives me nuts and I don't watchi it much for that reason. With League it seemed to be all about how long you could lie on top of someone without getting pinged for it.

« Reply #14 on: 18 February, 2020, 09:32:35 pm »
I grew up with a Leeds Rhinos season ticket and went to Headingley fortnightly for the better part of 10 years with my dad.

I love league - which has probably been helped by supporting one of the more dominant sides of this century - but I've been watching more and more union over the last 5 years and I have to say it really has grown on me, the more you understand the rules the more interesting a sport it becomes.

Generally the NRL is far superior to Super League and Australia will always be better than the Kiwi's and England/GB.

« Reply #15 on: 22 February, 2020, 03:51:58 pm »
Not watched much NRL, but that which I have watched didn't sell it to me as being particularly better than the SL.  SOO included.

I pretty much only watch free to view sport anyway, so I am unlikely to see more NRL or Ozzie Rules unless they get a late night show on 4 or 5.

« Reply #16 on: 17 February, 2021, 12:48:25 am »
Should the RFL look at the mistakes the Department for Education made and accept that they can't have P/R this year and probably not next year and plan accordingly. 
Its not been too long ago that P/R was on a three year cycle, so it's not that hard for them to put in place.

« Reply #17 on: 17 February, 2021, 11:40:39 am »
P/R?

« Reply #18 on: 17 February, 2021, 11:51:15 am »
Rugby League is so much easier to understand. There are only about 5 rules* in the game.

The rules relating to forward play in Union is just so complicated. Arbitrary penalising a team's
scrum happens all the time**.

* Slight exaggeration.
** That's how it appears to me.

« Reply #19 on: 18 February, 2021, 03:03:12 pm »
Sorry, P/R = promotion/relegation.  My post makes very little sense without that.

De Sisti, I think that was very much the original intent of League, to make it more fan-friendly.  My experience is that people who prefer union either played or have family who played and thus they understand the intricacies of the endless rolling about in the mud and kicking back and forth (showing my prejudice here).  I think the best union matches I've watched are as good as the best league games I've watched, but in the last 10 years I have rarely seen a league match as bad as union matches can often get. 
I think there have only ever been two SuperLeague matches without a try.  Imagine a world where there had only been one Premiere Leage match without a goal scored?

« Reply #20 on: 12 March, 2021, 02:53:51 pm »
The NRL is back, watched the first game between Melbourne & South Sydney and I'm already excited for the rest of the season, such a zesty game.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #21 on: 14 March, 2021, 01:41:09 pm »
I posted a comment re League on the six nations thread. I used to watch it as a girl, but it was too one-dimensional for me. All the players are physically similar, as well. No scope for differing builds, no skills beyond the running.I recognise that they are indeed fit, skilled, hard, etc, but it lacks the variety I get from my own national game.

Crash ball---tackle. Repeat five more times, then kick.

Repeat
Repeat
Repeat.

Occasionally have a joke scrum where the ball is bounced off the back of a prop's head, and that's it.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #22 on: 14 March, 2021, 02:19:19 pm »
Rob Burrow (now sadly crippled by MND) is 5feet 5 inches, Jason Robinson 5 8; both smaller than George Ford, who at 5 9 only looks small because of the steroidal beff-fattened rest of the team.  I think the average size of a League player will be considerably less than that of a Union player both in height and weight.  The Vunipolas are special cases as there are virtually no cubic players in League.  I'm able to appreciate both games, so twice the mud!

« Reply #23 on: 14 March, 2021, 05:57:59 pm »
Occasionally have a joke scrum where the ball is bounced off the back of a prop's head, and that's it.
In rugby union scrums, the ball is fed through the legs of the 2nd rows to the number 8.
Honest, it's true*.

*That's how it looks to me. :-D

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #24 on: 15 March, 2021, 12:47:24 pm »
In rugby union scrums, the ball is fed through the legs of the 2nd rows to the number 8.
Honest, it's true*.

*That's how it looks to me. :-D
Tell me about it! I played loosehead for a while, and hooker occasionally. Back then, the ref would blow for a squint feed, and there was a lot of skill in putting the ball in on the slant, i.e. with one end pointing up at the 9's hooker's side, so that when the ball hit the ground it bounced back towards him and away from the opposition front row. Now, it looks as if the ball is being thrown straight between the loosehead's feet to the locks. The only way to take one against the head is to massively outpush the other pack.

The days of the Viet Gwent and hooking with the head are long gone: "We went up, we went down, we went sideways, but we never went backwards"
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i