Author Topic: Taste of the Test 200  (Read 2393 times)

LEE

Taste of the Test 200
« on: 09 April, 2010, 11:24:58 am »
Did the perm with Keeks yesterday and what a great day for it.  I have a touch of sunburn on my face ! Yes, SUN, that yellow circular thing you may remember briefly from 2009.

After months of deciding what to wear for ice, snow and rain it was quite a nice change to be taking layers off every hour or so.

The ride took me by surprise, maybe it's because I'm carrying extra weight or maybe the northerly headwind for much of the fist 100km stage (Stockbridge to Aldbourne) but it felt relentlessly lumpy until the final 30km back down the Test River to Stockbridge.  I'd had enough of hills by the end, it was quite a toil.

In fact, the climb past Pewsey White Horse was about the only part of the ride that was easier than expected, maybe it was the stunning views along the Downs as I climbed that took my mind off it.

Watership Down after 170km was a grind but at least it signifies the end of climbing.

The poor road surfaces left me feeling "beaten up" as I slumped into my sofa.

All in all though, a lovely day out, harder than expected, good company, good food (Friar Tuck in Amesbury for a superb 2nd Breakfast) but I need to lose weight before I do it again (or wait for a windless day maybe).

Wuze 400 is going to be hell.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
Re: Taste of the Test 200
« Reply #1 on: 09 April, 2010, 11:27:32 am »

I think that will be true whatever you do.  ;D
Owner of a languishing Langster

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #2 on: 09 April, 2010, 11:54:33 am »

Come come, it is only a cycle ride and you will have plenty of time to complete it an denjoy the fine views on offer.

However, the Dorset Coast this weekend would certainly offer a "Taste of the Test to Come". ;D

H

LEE

« Reply #3 on: 09 April, 2010, 02:52:02 pm »
A few snaps of the ride

Keeks by the Avon at Old Sarum, just as it was starting to get warm.

Me likewise

Me at my favourite place in all the World (I know, I know,  it's childish)

« Reply #4 on: 09 April, 2010, 03:53:58 pm »
Ah - that sign - I have a photo of the one at the top the hill.  It has been slipped into a Top Gear feature. I wonder how often it is liberated.

My other childish infantile favourite was on the first 200 I ever did - the "Elgar" I think it was called. There's a sign in the Forest of Dean to Waterworks and Green Bottom.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

LEE

« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2010, 07:45:51 pm »
Well, 3 weeks spent in France eating and drinking too much (too much for the medical profession, not too much for me, that is) and now back to reality and my 11th RRTY ride.

Nothing like a 200km perm to blow away the fatty cobwebs. I have a feeling this will be a slow one but I'm really looking forward to getting on the bike again.  Luckily the "Friar Tuck" is at 50km and should coincide with 2nd Breakfast time.

Hope my new Orange YACF jersey still fits me.

border-rider

« Reply #6 on: 14 August, 2010, 08:23:07 pm »
Enjoy  :)

A nice route that, and the weather should be good. 

« Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2010, 08:33:25 pm »
Wish I'd known Lee! I've a card outstanding  :-\
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

LEE

« Reply #8 on: 16 August, 2010, 09:39:28 am »
Oh my God! That was tough.  I just about managed to cycle home after that.

I keep forgetting how many small hills there are on this ride.  I started in Stockbridge and then almost immediately into a strong NE headwind all the way to Malborough/Aldbourne.  That first 100km knocked all the stuffing out of me (on reflection I should have done a few smaller rides after returning from hols).

The ride back to Stockbridge was a real slog, my shoes hurt my feet (nothing but flip-flops for 3 weeks), my hands got sore, I got saddle sore, my knees got very sore, I started to bonk and it ended up being a bit of a trial.

I have to ride close to my house on the final 30km to Stockbridge so it was only the RRTY aspect (ride #11) that stopped me from heading home instead of committing myself to a further 2 hours of misery to the end and then back home.  I think I finished BCM600 stronger than I finished this 200.

Just goes to show that you should never take "short" rides for granted.  I always tell people that 100 miles is a long way and that >100 miles can "bite you" if you don't take it seriously.  I definitely took it for granted that 200km (actually 230km) was a short ride, didn't warrant respect, and I got well and truly bitten.

You have been warned.

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #9 on: 16 August, 2010, 11:33:39 am »

I keep forgetting how many small hills there are on this ride.  I started in Stockbridge and then almost immediately into a strong NE headwind all the way to Malborough/Aldbourne.  That first 100km knocked all the stuffing out of me (on reflection I should have done a few smaller rides after returning from hols).

You have been warned.

Congratulations on your 11/12 Lee overcoming the delights of under-fitness.  Only one more painfest enjoyable day out to go.

ToT is a lovely ride and you will probably appreciate it more by Wednesday.  Apart from Watership Down which you approach from the short, steeper side, I can't recall any major hills, though there are lots of rhythm - breaking ups and downs as with a lot of central southern England.

The pleasure of that orange badge will last far longer than your soreness.
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

LEE

« Reply #10 on: 16 August, 2010, 03:20:02 pm »

You have been warned.

Congratulations on your 11/12 Lee overcoming the delights of under-fitness.  Only one more painfest enjoyable day out to go.

ToT is a lovely ride and you will probably appreciate it more by Wednesday.  Apart from Watership Down which you approach from the short, steeper side, I can't recall any major hills, though there are lots of rhythm - breaking ups and downs as with a lot of central southern England.

The pleasure of that orange badge will last far longer than your soreness.

Pewsey Downs "White Horse" is a bit of a haul but at least the views take your mind off it.

It was mainly the headwind that did for me though.  I find headwinds far more sapping than most hills, it was an effort to keep above 20km/hr for first 100km.  Of course once I reached Aldbourne and headed south I was doing 30km/effortlessly.  Unfortunately headwinds and tailwinds don't balance each other out.

The final stretch from Axford to Aldbourne straight into the wind was extremely tough as I'd completely forgotten there was a hill out of Axford (it's significant enough not to forget about really).

My final RRTY ride is the IoW On/Off Shore in 3 weeks, a real pleasure, a ride I always look forward to and a perfect way to wrap it up.

RRTY has been quite an experience and, although I don't really find 200s much of an issue, it certainly has it's own set of challenges, not least family commitments and an unusually snowy winter.  The IoW is my final "reward" for the cold/dark/wet November-March rides and the longer hard rides, such as BCM600, that went into this RRTY.

border-rider

« Reply #11 on: 16 August, 2010, 03:22:30 pm »
The final stretch from Axford to Aldbourne straight into the wind was extremely tough as I'd completely forgotten there was a hill out of Axford (it's significant enough not to forget about really

That road has always been a struggle for me.  I don't know if it because of where it is in the ride, or that there always seems to be a headwind, but it's a grind.  If you ever have time and it's been dry, there's a very nice offroad alternative.  Not for an audax day, though :)