Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951394 times)

essexian

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2275 on: 30 March, 2012, 07:41:36 am »
Not really sure this qualifies for this section but we went to see "She stoops to conquer" at the Lighthouse in Wolverhampton last evening.

The play by Oliver Goldsmith was filmed live at the National Theatre and then broadcast as it happens to a number of venues. I understand that this happens quite often but this was the first time we had attended such a showing: we will be going back, especially for Timon of Athens which is on the 1st Nov (my favourite Shakespeare play). The tickets, at £12 a head, compare well with tickets for the National Theatre (Tickets for £10 were available last year for quite a few performances). The only thing I feel we lost by not being actually at the theatre itself, was the "live" feeling as whilst the screening was live, it did feel like it was on film. (Not sure I have explained that very well).

The play itself was well acted and very funny, although the story line has been done a hundred times since the play was written in 1773. The fact that it starred two well known actors (Steve Pemberton and Katherine Kelly) did not distract from some fine performances by Harry Hadden-Paton and David Fynn.

thelazycyclist

• where's crusty?
    • thelazycyclist
« Reply #2276 on: 01 April, 2012, 10:21:27 am »
Justice with Nicolas Cage.  If there was any justice in the world, this kind of film would never get made.

Then again, maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it....No, it wasn't that, it was awful.

The part when I lost all interest was when he had to order two bars of chocolate out of a vending machine in order to hire a hitman for his wife's attacker.  And it never really got any better from there.

I wrote a full review / rant on my blog.  I feel even worse about it, because I was supposed to be watching it with LindaG and she could only take 20 minutes of it before she had to leave the room, so as a quiet night in movie it was a complete wash out.

Full rant is below.

http://theapathysquare.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/sorry-nicolas-cage-you-lost-me-at.html
The friendly landlord helped us put our bikes into his very big shed.  Very carefully we did not fall into the acid bath which was there.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #2277 on: 01 April, 2012, 06:32:38 pm »
Not really sure this qualifies for this section but we went to see "She stoops to conquer" at the Lighthouse in Wolverhampton last evening.

The play by Oliver Goldsmith was filmed live at the National Theatre and then broadcast as it happens to a number of venues. I understand that this happens quite often but this was the first time we had attended such a showing: we will be going back, especially for Timon of Athens which is on the 1st Nov (my favourite Shakespeare play). The tickets, at £12 a head, compare well with tickets for the National Theatre (Tickets for £10 were available last year for quite a few performances). The only thing I feel we lost by not being actually at the theatre itself, was the "live" feeling as whilst the screening was live, it did feel like it was on film. (Not sure I have explained that very well).

The play itself was well acted and very funny, although the story line has been done a hundred times since the play was written in 1773. The fact that it starred two well known actors (Steve Pemberton and Katherine Kelly) did not distract from some fine performances by Harry Hadden-Paton and David Fynn.

I so desperately wanted to see this and missed the screenings in cinemas. I will have to go to the theatre and see it.

I love the Lighthouse, I've been there many times when I've been in the Midlands. I love sitting in the Cinema with a lovely glass of wine.  There is also an independent in Birmingham that I love.  You rent sofas for the evening, two or three seaters dependant on your numbers. 

fuzzy

« Reply #2278 on: 02 April, 2012, 03:57:45 pm »
Ronin.

As mentioned elsewhere on this forum, an absolutley cracking car chase sequence, which topped of a good film.

« Reply #2279 on: 02 April, 2012, 04:04:51 pm »
I wasn't in the mood to watch more than half of The Big Lebowski last night, so I'll try again tonight...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2280 on: 02 April, 2012, 04:55:53 pm »
Harry Potter and some half-drunk chap on a train.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #2281 on: 02 April, 2012, 05:04:45 pm »
Watched Anchorman - The Legend of Ron Burgundy again at the weekend - first time for yonks. Brilliant.

I love lamp
a great mind thinks alike

LindaG

« Reply #2282 on: 06 April, 2012, 11:15:11 pm »
'High Society'.

One of my favourite films evah, with wonderful songs, and Satchmo, and Sinatra, and Kelly, and Crosby.

To make it even more perfect it was raining outside so I didn't feel guilty.  A marvellous couple of hours  :)

« Reply #2283 on: 08 April, 2012, 01:33:07 pm »
The Line of Fire. 

An excellent Italian film (subtitled) showing the experiences of a volunteer private on the front before during and after the 2nd battle of Alamein.  It captures the perspective of those at the front, short of supplies, living rough, at one moment having little idea of what is going on or what might be in store for them, the next under attack.  The battle scene is superb and first takes you through the hell of a bombardment as well or better than 'Band of Brothers' followed by the suspense as the enemy (British) tanks approach and then the horror of the tank attack and its effects.  After defeat in battle the despair and hopelessness of the retreating losers is brought fully home.  The Italians in this film are in the Pavia division which despite the undeserved stereotype, fought well but were effectively destroyed.  This is not a film that glorifies war..
Move Faster and Bake Things

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2284 on: 08 April, 2012, 02:26:34 pm »
The last action fiction I saw was Ashley Young's audition at Old trafford to partner Tom Daley in the forthcoming Olympic high dive doubles ::-)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2285 on: 08 April, 2012, 02:29:48 pm »
The Eagle.

watching closely to see the Summer Isles locations.  :)
It is simpler than it looks.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2286 on: 08 April, 2012, 02:35:43 pm »
Watched one of the worst films we have ever seen last night - 'Immortals'. Great cast, looked beautiful but just a pile of dung.

After that we stuck 'The Ides of March' on: quite a decent political drama, took a while to get going but it in the end it got there. Directed by George Clooney who also did the great 'Good night and good luck'.

« Reply #2287 on: 08 April, 2012, 05:21:53 pm »
Headhunters - norwegian crime thriller, cool, slick, lots twists n turns, recommended.

Frere

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2288 on: 09 April, 2012, 08:39:18 am »
The King's Speech

Much better than I was expecting. (I assumed I was going to hate it but I actually quite enjoyed it. Unlike Black Swan, which we started watching the other night but switched off after half an hour because we could stand no more of it.)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2289 on: 09 April, 2012, 08:42:54 am »
Pirates: An Adventure with Scientists. The latest Aardman animation. A kids' film with plenty into amuse the grown ups: one of the pirate crew had a Blue Peter badge.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2290 on: 09 April, 2012, 08:51:04 am »
Pirates: An Adventure with Scientists. The latest Aardman animation. A kids' film with plenty into amuse the grown ups: one of the pirate crew had a Blue Peter badge.

We saw this on Saturday night, I thought it was excellent!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2291 on: 09 April, 2012, 09:49:22 am »
"Dead Poets Society" for the umpteenth time.    I still think it's the best final scene in cinema.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2292 on: 09 April, 2012, 02:16:47 pm »

It got a  :thumbsup: from Louis (5), Hannah (17) and Daddy (47) - which is a nice trick if you can pull it off.

Not gales of laughter, but easy fun.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2293 on: 09 April, 2012, 02:21:22 pm »
Kid on a bike. It's not (all) about the bike.

A small story, told well. It wasn't exactly what I expected, but was very rewarding - it pushed quite a few emotional buttons, but not in a ponderous way.

(click to show/hide)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #2294 on: 12 April, 2012, 06:56:39 pm »
I took E Minor to see The Hunger Games today (he couldn't find any of his mates in time and will be busy all weekend).

My reaction is exactly the same as MrCharley and Wascally Weasel; excellent. I went to preserve family harmony, but enjoyed the film and would recommend it. MrsE says that the original novels are very good: I'll have to put them on my "to read" list.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #2295 on: 17 April, 2012, 07:48:00 pm »

More  :thumbsup: from tiptop and me - we saw it on Friday.  The nods to previous Aardman productions (e.g. releasing the handbrake on the ship) were fun to spot.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2296 on: 18 April, 2012, 12:28:03 pm »
Headhunters - norwegian crime thriller, cool, slick, lots twists n turns, recommended.

+1.  Saw this on Sunday.  Is it just me or was the protagonist Norway's premier Christopher Walken impersonator, up against the winner of the All-Norway-Pretend-To-Be-Sean-Bean Contest?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

AndyK

« Reply #2297 on: 18 April, 2012, 01:06:46 pm »
In Time. An enjoyable little piece of dystopian sci-fi.

« Reply #2298 on: 19 April, 2012, 08:00:40 am »
The Scars of Dracula. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2299 on: 19 April, 2012, 11:32:39 am »
Walkabout on iPlayer.  Sixteen year old Jenny Agutter.  (haz moment, and then another one)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime