Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951394 times)

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4650 on: 03 January, 2015, 12:18:10 pm »
The World's End

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4651 on: 03 January, 2015, 05:14:16 pm »
The World's End

Has the biggest "Well, I really did not see that coming" moment in all of cinema history for me.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4652 on: 03 January, 2015, 09:12:34 pm »
Grand Budapest Hotel

Loved it. Just bloody loved it. Totally Wes Anderson, which is either a good thing if you like that kind of thing, or a bloody awful thing if you don't. I'm mostly a fan but I'd have to say this was his best since The Royal Tenembaums. I rarely have a good word to say about Ralph Fiennes but I thought he was brilliant, a perfectly pitched performance.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #4653 on: 03 January, 2015, 10:31:51 pm »
Currently at work trying to avoid seeing 'Taken' before transmitting MOTD.  It appears to be a diabolical piece of drivel, which is interspersed with adverts for a third outing of the brand.  Clearly one film of gratuitous violence, torture and extra-judicial murder simply isn't enough.  It almost makes me long for the football show to start.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4654 on: 03 January, 2015, 10:52:29 pm »
Grand Budapest Hotel

Loved it. Just bloody loved it. Totally Wes Anderson, which is either a good thing if you like that kind of thing, or a bloody awful thing if you don't. I'm mostly a fan but I'd have to say this was his best since The Royal Tenembaums. I rarely have a good word to say about Ralph Fiennes but I thought he was brilliant, a perfectly pitched performance.

Yes.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4655 on: 03 January, 2015, 11:38:40 pm »
Films are a strange thing, sometimes they've just got to catch you in the right mood...

....with that, I've sat just watched The Hangover on ITV.

Have to say...bloody hilarious!  :D
Garry Broad

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4656 on: 04 January, 2015, 01:44:57 am »
Last night I watched the final two Harry Potter films back-to-back, because the recording of that documentary about wolves went spoooey.

Final snotfight just a bit too "Star Wars".  There's homage and then there's taking the piss.  Also one of the Grimgotts' goblins was definitely played by David Steel.

Was it ever adequately explained what happened to Voldemort's nose?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4657 on: 04 January, 2015, 11:53:16 am »
We watched Taken last night. I can't believe people liked it enough that they've made 2 more.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4658 on: 04 January, 2015, 11:57:55 am »
We watched Taken last night. I can't believe people liked it enough that they've made 2 more.

The thing about Taken was, it made going on holiday in France about as appealing as a city break in Tehran.  It's a stupid film.  Can't help wondering whether his daughter is the person getting kidnapped in the other two films though, how unlucky would that be?  I don't wonder enough to actually watch them though.
Milk please, no sugar.

ian

« Reply #4659 on: 04 January, 2015, 06:08:24 pm »
Ah, I did see Taken 2 which is probably identikit but truth is, I don't much remember the first one. Anyway, it is what it is, Liam has to run around around killing bad guy stereotypes while they try to kill him less successfully. The day gets saved because he's Liam and he's under contract to do just that. It's also a handy guide to which kind of villainous stereotype is OK today. Albanians, it seems, are fair game. I've met an actual Albanian gangster, fortunately he didn't feel the need to kill me, and I was in the company of two tank-sized Serbians.

Not really a film that requires much deep analysis.

I watched Edge of Tomorrow again yesterday (thanks EE for the freebie, I have one more free movie rental that I have to watch tonight), still very good. Tom Cruise may be nuttier than Jimmy Carter's backyard, but he's again perfectly cast.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4660 on: 04 January, 2015, 06:40:14 pm »

The thing about Taken was, it made going on holiday in France about as appealing as a city break in Tehran.  It's a stupid film.  Can't help wondering whether his daughter is the person getting kidnapped in the other two films though, how unlucky would that be?  I don't wonder enough to actually watch them though.
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/actor-liam-neesons-new-years-resolution-is-writing-to-travel-shy-families-in-texas-to-explain-the-taken-movies-are-fiction/story-e6frfmw0-1227173585757
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4661 on: 05 January, 2015, 10:37:42 am »
Would Texans visit countries in which they are not allowed to carry a gun?   

Watched 'The Theory of Everything'.  It is an excellent film IMO and much better than the rather superficial 'Imitation Game'. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #4662 on: 05 January, 2015, 11:22:29 am »
Grand Budapest Hotel

I keep coming out with: "Hello Chaps" sometimes.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #4663 on: 05 January, 2015, 11:39:25 am »
Captain Phillips.

Enjoyed that, although I didn't think they adequately informed the audience about the passage of time. I couldn't understand how the seals got to the boat so quickly from Atlanta, or wherever it was. It turns out that CP was on the lifeboat for three days.

Other than that, an enjoyable film, gripping even.

Jakob

« Reply #4664 on: 05 January, 2015, 06:43:20 pm »
The Hobbit pt3.
I really like the first 2. Yeah, they're long and add a lot of stuff, but I always felt that it was in line with the rest of the lore and the 'world' is still done extremely well. This one, however, is just a 3 hour long battle sequence, with about 10 mins of character stuff. I knew from the reviews that it wasn't great, but I was still disappointed.

« Reply #4665 on: 06 January, 2015, 11:33:47 am »
Sunshine on Leith. I've been a Proclaimers fan since the 80s, so enjoyed it, despite not really liking musicals. 90 minutes was enough and I enjoyed the briefest of

It reminded me of a time 15 or so years ago. I was helping my best mate out by moving his ex-missus' stuff out of the house they shared before they split up. It was a fairly tense atmosphere that was definitely not helped by me breaking into (sub-consciously, honest) 'Over and Done With' in front of the frosty couple.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #4666 on: 06 January, 2015, 12:10:43 pm »
The Theory of Everything. Superb and moving account of the relationship between Stephen and Jane Wilde (later Hawking). Brilliant acting by Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones.
Pen Pusher

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4667 on: 06 January, 2015, 12:48:20 pm »
Captain Phillips.

Enjoyed that, although I didn't think they adequately informed the audience about the passage of time. I couldn't understand how the seals got to the boat so quickly from Atlanta, or wherever it was. It turns out that CP was on the lifeboat for three days.

Who played Princess Anne?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

fuzzy

« Reply #4668 on: 06 January, 2015, 01:55:26 pm »
American Graffiti.

Probably one of the best soundtracks and fleet in movie history :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #4669 on: 06 January, 2015, 08:14:31 pm »
Captain Phillips.

Who played Princess Anne?

Couldn't see clearly in the fog.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #4670 on: 06 January, 2015, 10:09:38 pm »
I succumbed to the urge to watch some serious crap today. Serious shit indeed, a po-faced piece of tripe that involved Nicholas Cage on autopilot. It was dire, and I soon tired of my normal recreational shouting of "Why are you being so STUPID?"

Stephen King's Langoliers meets Lawdy Lawd it's the RAPTURE!

Left Behind. Should have done exactly that to it. It wasn't even bad enough to be funny.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #4671 on: 06 January, 2015, 11:22:53 pm »
The Bourne Supremacy.

Not as good as the first, but still better than most action/spy/thrillers.

fuzzy

« Reply #4672 on: 07 January, 2015, 08:41:11 am »
Unknown- Liam Neeson and Helen of Troy in Berlin.

Was alright.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4673 on: 07 January, 2015, 08:43:46 am »
I succumbed to the urge to watch some serious crap today. Serious shit indeed, a po-faced piece of tripe that involved Nicholas Cage on autopilot. It was dire, and I soon tired of my normal recreational shouting of "Why are you being so STUPID?"

Stephen King's Langoliers meets Lawdy Lawd it's the RAPTURE!

Left Behind. Should have done exactly that to it. It wasn't even bad enough to be funny.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Mr Cage hasn't made a single decent film since "Leaving Las Vegas"

Meanwhile, I watched "The Completely Normal SpiderMan 2" the night before last. Meh just about covers it.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4674 on: 07 January, 2015, 01:04:51 pm »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Mr Cage hasn't made a single decent film since "Leaving Las Vegas"
Don't be daft. Face/Off is sheer genius.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.