Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951378 times)

hillbilly

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6800 on: 20 December, 2016, 07:21:26 am »
Anomalisa

Purely because it was The Graunaid's film of the year. A stop motion film about a man who sees and hears everyone as the same person until he meets Lisa.  It's a tender film, that touches on some interesting themes about the need to be recognised and human interaction. It's by Charlie Kaufman, who churns out clever scripts and scenarios.

Not my film of the year, probably not top 10, but still a worthy watch.  It's on Netflix atm.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6801 on: 20 December, 2016, 07:37:04 am »
Not here it's not. They're shoving Mad Mel and Thunderdome at us right now.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6802 on: 20 December, 2016, 08:10:02 am »
Time Traveller

What an umitigated complete and utter pile of shite.

No time travel.

Crap story.

Mediocre acting.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

« Reply #6803 on: 20 December, 2016, 08:37:17 am »
Keanu again. It has the best joke of 2016 and the kitten Matrix scene is priceless.

« Reply #6804 on: 20 December, 2016, 09:01:16 am »
The Raid

2011 Indonesian police/martial arts filum and actually quite good. Plot line a bit thin, but camerawork, lighting, and set were superb. If you can overlook its weak points its not bad.

Certainly better than 'Drive', which I watched a few nights previously. Cliché riddled cheese that looked like it would have been at home in the late 80s.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #6805 on: 20 December, 2016, 09:11:17 am »
Rogue One.

Now THAT is how to make a prequel.  Great fun - but probably very much for people like me who love SciFi and were seven years old when Star Wars came out the first time.  The 11 yo we went with seemed rather less interested in it than I  :facepalm:
It's a pretty dark plot for the kids in all honesty.

(click to show/hide)
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6806 on: 20 December, 2016, 03:26:53 pm »
Anomalisa

Purely because it was The Graunaid's film of the year. A stop motion film about a man who sees and hears everyone as the same person until he meets Lisa.  It's a tender film, that touches on some interesting themes about the need to be recognised and human interaction. It's by Charlie Kaufman, who churns out clever scripts and scenarios.

Not my film of the year, probably not top 10, but still a worthy watch.  It's on Netflix atm.
The kaufman films I've seen have been genius. I remember this being reviewed by Kermode-n-Mayo and thought I must see this, warts-n-all.

(is it based loosely on a real psychological condition?)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #6807 on: 20 December, 2016, 04:10:28 pm »
Rogue One.

Now THAT is how to make a prequel.  Great fun - but probably very much for people like me who love SciFi and were seven years old when Star Wars came out the first time.  The 11 yo we went with seemed rather less interested in it than I  :facepalm:
It's a pretty dark plot for the kids in all honesty.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #6808 on: 21 December, 2016, 12:32:49 am »
Rogue One.

(click to show/hide)

Nope, it's from RTJ, although it's seemingly constantly and wrongly attributed to ANH.

caerau

« Reply #6809 on: 21 December, 2016, 07:57:17 am »
Ah OK, fair enough,  :thumbsup:

caerau

« Reply #6810 on: 21 December, 2016, 08:01:19 am »
In rather massive contrast on the old tellythision we watched a Spanish subtitled film entitled 'The Sea Inside'
We were attracted by its 5 star review and the fact that it won the best Forrin Fillum oscar (last year?)

Starred the bloke who played the Assassin in 'No country for old men'

Certainly Oscar Bait material as it was about a quadriplegic persons 'right to die' case and situation. 
Given that, though obviously very sad at times, it was an amazingly uplifting film and an absolute pleasure to watch.  Thoroughly recommended.  I feel a little less juvenile now, having got stuck in watching lots of Sci-Fi and Superhero flicks of late.

« Reply #6811 on: 21 December, 2016, 08:28:24 am »
Filth.

I had no idea a film had been made of this novel until it popped up on Netflix, recommended for me personally based on previous film choices (  :-\  ). Im quite amazed that anybody has even attempted to make a film of it. Its pretty faithful to the book, apart from the tapeworm morphing into a psychiatrist. Really easy to watch for the first 40 minutes, with sharp witty dialogue and just the right amount of squalor, but the last half became more and more uncomfortable viewing, as the main protagonists world falls apart.

All in all a pretty decent film, driven by a skilful performance from the lead actor.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #6812 on: 21 December, 2016, 09:18:07 am »
Filth.

I had no idea a film had been made of this novel until it popped up on Netflix, recommended for me personally based on previous film choices (  :-\  ). Im quite amazed that anybody has even attempted to make a film of it. Its pretty faithful to the book, apart from the tapeworm morphing into a psychiatrist. Really easy to watch for the first 40 minutes, with sharp witty dialogue and just the right amount of squalor, but the last half became more and more uncomfortable viewing, as the main protagonists world falls apart.

All in all a pretty decent film, driven by a skilful performance from the lead actor.

It's a great performance from MacAvoy.

« Reply #6813 on: 21 December, 2016, 10:05:40 am »
Agreed. Its fair to say he carries the filum. He didnt drop the ball once.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6814 on: 21 December, 2016, 11:06:44 am »
In rather massive contrast on the old tellythision we watched a Spanish subtitled film entitled 'The Sea Inside'
We were attracted by its 5 star review and the fact that it won the best Forrin Fillum oscar (last year?)

Starred the bloke who played the Assassin in 'No country for old men'

Certainly Oscar Bait material as it was about a quadriplegic persons 'right to die' case and situation. 
Given that, though obviously very sad at times, it was an amazingly uplifting film and an absolute pleasure to watch.  Thoroughly recommended.  I feel a little less juvenile now, having got stuck in watching lots of Sci-Fi and Superhero flicks of late.

I struggled with this film, not because of the story line, but it seemed disjointed to me.

It is quite an old film, IMDB tells me 2004.

The guy you are thinking of is Javier Bardem, also played the baddy in that James Bond movie.  Oddly enough he also starred in the only film not in English to be nominated for best picture, that being "Biutiful", which I would, and have several times on this thread, recommend.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

fuzzy

« Reply #6815 on: 21 December, 2016, 01:26:16 pm »
Rogue One last night at the invite of No.2 Son.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. A better film than TFA by quite a long shot.

(click to show/hide)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #6816 on: 22 December, 2016, 01:08:19 am »
Can't remember if I put this one up, but the Norwegian (in English) zombie Nazi sequel "Dead Snow 2--Red or Dead"

It is wonderfully and delightfully tongue in cheek, and deliciously inventive. A particular PMSL scene:
(click to show/hide)
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #6817 on: 22 December, 2016, 10:34:38 am »
Can't remember if I put this one up, but the Norwegian (in English) zombie Nazi sequel "Dead Snow 2--Red or Dead"

It is wonderfully and delightfully tongue in cheek, and deliciously inventive. A particular PMSL scene:
(click to show/hide)
geek spoiler response
(click to show/hide)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6818 on: 22 December, 2016, 04:05:18 pm »
Rogue One.

Yeah!  Enjoyed that, it looked great.  Couple next to, had a ~3 and 5yro with them -  pretty sure the parents would have got more out of it.

Surprised just how many Brits were in the film.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

hillbilly

« Reply #6819 on: 22 December, 2016, 09:01:49 pm »
Also Rogue One.  I have a geek hard on.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #6820 on: 23 December, 2016, 12:55:20 am »

(click to show/hide)
geek spoiler response
(click to show/hide)

;D
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

hillbilly

« Reply #6821 on: 23 December, 2016, 06:34:23 am »
Greasy Strangler

Quite possibly the strangest film I've seen for a while.  But unlike other offbeat films, this one feels like the creative team are following an instruction manual in weird, rather than it just being what they are. Cannibalism - check. Nudity - check. Extreme profanity - check. Copraphilia - erm, no, but I bet it's on the editing floor (the scene, not...)

Anyway, father and son live together. Father essentially tries to stop son making their own life. The greasy Strangler gets involved. He's greasy. He strangles. The plot is thin and it's really a series of set ups.

I did find much of it funny. The bullshit call out scene for one. It just felt very obvious and familiar, something a 15 year old me could have written.  Anyway: you'll either like the first 10 mins and the rest (me) or think it should have been strangled at birth (see what I did there?)

« Reply #6822 on: 23 December, 2016, 07:02:24 am »
I enjoyed Filth. I'm an Irvine Welsh fan.

Saw Hacksaw Ridge yesterday. Thought it was mawkish and focussed overly on violence to deliver the movie.

« Reply #6823 on: 23 December, 2016, 08:19:29 am »

(click to show/hide)

I can't believe I actually watched this nonsense  ;D

In its own way it really is quite brilliant. Final scene is by far the most disturbing.

Chris S

« Reply #6824 on: 23 December, 2016, 05:42:18 pm »
Last Night:

Rare Exports - A Christmas Tale. Still weird, but not unamusing.

This arvo:

Arthur Christmas.

Quote from: fboab
Funnier than I was expecting