Author Topic: Easter arrow 2016: and the religious aspect of Good Friday.  (Read 18785 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Easter arrow 2016: and the religious aspect of Good Friday.
« on: 07 November, 2015, 03:09:29 pm »
Are there any audaxers out there who would like to ride the 2016 Easter Arrow while also observing the religious aspect of Good Friday?

I left work in 2014 and now I'm at Durham University training to be a vicar. My second year dissertation is looking at whether there is a valid theological case to argue that physical exercise (such as walking or cycling) can be a legitimate form of worship - based on Matthew 12:30 (worshipping with heart, mind, soul and strength). I think 'strength' is often taken to mean 'will-power'... but I wonder whether this undermines the incarnational aspect of God - and whether it belittles a very real aspect of who we are - physical creatures.

I'm really interested in how faith impacts the whole of my life - and when I'm ordained I don't want to fall into the trap of only expecting people to come to church to meet God. I'd like to see how faith works when brought outside church building, and I'm interested in this including hiking/rambling/cycling and other outdoor activities - being alive to creation. So, while I'm at University and in training, while I have permission to make mistakes, I'd like to see if Easter 2016 could be an experiment in Christian worship without being disrespectful to the context of Good Friday.

Warning: I don't have the best track record with Easter Arrows: In 2013 I was riding with fboab, ChrisS, Deano and Mark, but with ice and snow settling just outside Durham we abandoned. In 2014 again with ChrisS, Mark and Deano, but also with SteveGT... we abandoned when ChrisS had his "little turn". I skipped 2015 and cycled to Iona instead.

Is anyone interested in joining me in this 400km / worship experiment?
Graeme.

[Edit 11/Nov/15: Potential team list]
Vague route plan: London to York... to give anyone who wants to do this an even chance of getting to the start. I'll be coming down from Durham. Perhaps we could ride from St. Paul's Cathedral to St Peter's Cathedral (York Minster), and then on to the 'spoons of York. To make the route 400km... we'll weave about a bit.
Arrow team name: ??
Arrow team members: (those expressing an interest - we need 3 to 5 machines).
Expressed Interest:
Graeme
Ruthie
IanN
CharlieBoy
Diesel
Phartiphuckborlz
chrisbainbridge
RPhilips
sojournermike

[Edit 04-Jan-2016]

Confirmed:
Graeme
Diesel
chrisbainbridge
sojournermike
RPhilips

Now planning St Albans to York

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
Re: Easter arrow 2016: and the religious aspect of Good Friday.
« Reply #1 on: 07 November, 2015, 03:11:21 pm »
Just to clarify - I wasn't planning anything Monty Pythonesque:

:)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #2 on: 07 November, 2015, 03:40:43 pm »
Yeah, I'll come.
Milk please, no sugar.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 07 November, 2015, 03:43:20 pm »

« Reply #4 on: 07 November, 2015, 04:26:03 pm »
You'll be familiar with Alfred Jarry I suppose. http://www.bikereader.com/contributors/misc/passion.html

There are various options for a 'Calvary' The most obvious would include an ascent of Great Dun Fell.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5 on: 07 November, 2015, 06:33:57 pm »
You'll be familiar with Alfred Jarry I suppose. http://www.bikereader.com/contributors/misc/passion.html

There are various options for a 'Calvary' The most obvious would include an ascent of Great Dun Fell.

No it wouldn't.
Milk please, no sugar.

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #6 on: 07 November, 2015, 08:22:18 pm »
Interesting idea.

This book sprang to mind. I've only flicked through it but it looks interesting
http://www.foyles.co.uk/witem/philosophy-psychology-social-sciences/places-of-enchantment-meeting-god-in,graham-b-usher-9780281067923

Second thought - Quaker concepts of meeting God in silent worship (albeit in a group) , and the whole of life being sacramental

I assume you wont be considering the shamanic possibilities of using sleep deprivation rather than mescalin to induce hallucinations in a welsh forest in the rain? Sorry! :) 

I'll p.m......   

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #7 on: 07 November, 2015, 08:30:25 pm »

That wasn't really what I was thinking, but his piece on Genesis was funny.

But I was being serious in wondering if anyone is interested in joining me - in forming an Easter Arrow team and doing a 400 together.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #8 on: 07 November, 2015, 08:32:12 pm »
Interesting idea.

This book sprang to mind. I've only flicked through it but it looks interesting
http://www.foyles.co.uk/witem/philosophy-psychology-social-sciences/places-of-enchantment-meeting-god-in,graham-b-usher-9780281067923

Second thought - Quaker concepts of meeting God in silent worship (albeit in a group) , and the whole of life being sacramental

I assume you wont be considering the shamanic possibilities of using sleep deprivation rather than mescalin to induce hallucinations in a welsh forest in the rain? Sorry! :) 

I'll p.m......   

That book looks really interesting and is likely to help with my dissertation. Thank you!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 07 November, 2015, 08:33:50 pm »
The concept of the Easter arrows appeals to me for various reasons but I am unlikely to ride one for various other reasons, including the fact that it's Easter and so I'm busy doing Easter stuff. So I won't be joining you, and in any case I'm not particularly religious. But I do like the idea of worship through "outdoor activities – being alive to creation." So I'd be interested to see how this works in practice for you and whether it's physical activity or being outdoors, marvelling at hills, fields, wildlife and rain, that is the key (key? is there a key thing?).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #10 on: 07 November, 2015, 08:35:22 pm »
Interesting thoughts. I studied this a bit at uni. Basically, man has a desire to connect to an "other", an ineffable, wordless sense of something outside himself. The hippies used LSD and marijuana, the ravers took ecstasy, religious folk pray, loads of people have at the booze. All different channels which, to some, lead to the same end. I think Ken Wilber was the author here. I suppose cycling a long way can help connection to an other, to a peak experience outside of man's usual day to day realm.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: 07 November, 2015, 08:38:53 pm »
Cymraeg Cwrch went well then?  ;)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 07 November, 2015, 08:39:08 pm »
Shame the Easter Arrow is so time-limited.
A tour linking a few cathedral cities could be an apt Easter pilgrimage (but I am not a Christian).

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13 on: 07 November, 2015, 08:41:17 pm »
OT, but I heard there is a plan to introduce a 48-hr version. Still not much time to tour cathedrals though.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #14 on: 07 November, 2015, 09:09:19 pm »
You don't need LSD when me and Graeme start talking God.

This could be a brilliant Good Friday experience actually.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #15 on: 07 November, 2015, 09:26:57 pm »
Yes, possibly. I hadn't planned on doing one next year, but this sounds interesting. Where would you plan to cycle from?

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #16 on: 07 November, 2015, 09:55:19 pm »
Is cycling worship...for me yes but I am a Quaker so I would say that.  I think journey and exercise has a particular place; pilgrimage springs to mind and appeals since it crosses many faiths.  Often when I ride I think of that Man that went into the wilderness for 400 days and 40 m nights...for me it is  more like 14 hours but is is enough to give me a sense of detaching from worldly stuff and that allows the influence of Light to grow. 

I might be interested in an arrow of this sort but not sure where I will be in fitness terms (certainly not likely to be fast) anad als uncertain of whetehr it woud be acceptable to desert my home and partner for Easter

Les
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #17 on: 07 November, 2015, 10:01:40 pm »
I think yacf might be able to put together a Quaker arrow team at this rate     ;D

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #18 on: 07 November, 2015, 10:25:00 pm »
Gosh I'm overwhelmed! I was worried this post was going to get a bit of negative press.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #19 on: 07 November, 2015, 11:08:00 pm »
Subject to where you would start from, yes.

Planning on an arrow next year.

Have always felt a bit uncomfortable doing it on Good Friday but this would  / could work well with others of the same mindset. I could bring my churchwarden's staff to beat off the p******e fairy.

Mojo is being awakened.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20 on: 07 November, 2015, 11:08:00 pm »
I might suggest a reverse Eleanor Crosses: London - Lincoln and on to York, with some sort of loop to notch the distance past 400km...

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #21 on: 07 November, 2015, 11:17:20 pm »
So Ruthie was in first
IanN is a tentative second...
drgannet is in too depending on the route...
AndyC has sort of offered me the chance to be a chaplain to a VC167 team.
... and there may be a quaker-arrow team too.
CharlieBoy you've hit on exactly the sense of discomfort I feel, and yet I think there is a way to intentionally remember it is Good Friday as well as participate.
Hellymedic... I was thinking the same thing, that a trip from London to York would be a good idea.

I'm feeling the love!
:)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #22 on: 07 November, 2015, 11:18:07 pm »
This would give me a fantastic incentive to train over the Winter.  If my health allows  :)
Milk please, no sugar.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23 on: 07 November, 2015, 11:56:00 pm »
Oh look!
Some other cyclists had this idea...
http://www.leightonbuzzardonline.co.uk/news/local-news/charity-cycle-on-200-mile-route-made-for-a-queen-1-6712959#axzz3qqwrZIvk

But April has long been the time for pilgrimages...
http://www.librarius.com/canttran/genpro/genpro001-042.htm

Hopefully, you wouldn't have too many shoures soote...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #24 on: 08 November, 2015, 01:38:29 am »
Interesting idea. Unfortunately my church choir commitments mean I won't be able to ride an Easter Arrow or the forseable future, but it sounds like it could be a good idea for those who do ride.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!