Author Topic: Jamie's Dream School  (Read 12423 times)

Clandy

Re: Jamie's Dream School
« Reply #75 on: 15 March, 2011, 08:09:43 am »

I agree with some of what you say but I think the quality of the guest teachers affords them a status far higher than mere celebs - these are seriously well respected individuals and I'm quite sure that they signed up for this with considerably more altruistic intent than furthering any celebrity status.  

The only people on his list of teachers I have any modicum of respect for are David Starkey and Robert Winston. The rest are Celeb Big Brother wannabes. This is not Jamie Oliver Saves British Education, it's just more gladiatorial 'entertainment' we are supposed to gawp at and say 'How shocking!' along the same lines as Fat Camp etc.

« Reply #76 on: 15 March, 2011, 08:11:49 am »
David Starkey and Robert Winston.

Ooh the gravitas

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #77 on: 15 March, 2011, 08:14:46 am »
Respect?  For David Starkey?  Really?

Takes all sorts, I suppose.
Getting there...

Clandy

« Reply #78 on: 15 March, 2011, 08:17:51 am »
Respect?  For David Starkey?  Really?

Takes all sorts, I suppose.

Because compared to the rest at least Winston and Starkey know their respective subjects and have the possibility of imparting at least some knowledge.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #79 on: 15 March, 2011, 08:20:31 am »
Starkey does not 'know' his subject, but merely a tiny sliver of it, which he feels is important, but is utterly irrelevant out of the context he refuses to even acknowledge exists, so obsessed is he with his propagandising.

I don't agree with Winston on a lot of things, but he does know his subject, and is good at imparting understanding, which is the basis of teaching.

Rolf Harris I have respect for, not because he is a world expert in anything, but because he is good at finding joy in everything he does, and sharing that.
Getting there...

Clandy

« Reply #80 on: 15 March, 2011, 08:31:09 am »
Starkey does not 'know' his subject, but merely a tiny sliver of it

His subject is Tudor history. He knows it quite well. Quite likely better than you or I.

« Reply #81 on: 15 March, 2011, 09:35:08 am »
Mrs Pcolbeck has just been discussing her lesson preparation for next week. The topic is Shakespeare and the pupils must learn things such as things such as the difference between his comedies, tragedies and histories as well as be able to describe his impact on British culture. This is the mandated curriculum not something the schools has made up. It's for 7 year olds. This to me says an awful lot about what's wrong with teaching, too many academics setting a curriculum that's too proscribed and academic for the pupils.  
Which primary literacy curriculum for seven year olds (Year 3)?  I don't recognise it at all.  

Having discussed it further with her it seems it wasn't the curriculum - my mistake but was the learning objectives written by one of the teachers then given to Mrs Pcolbeck (a TA) to make lesson plans from. So I can't blame the gubberment just a teacher on this one.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.