Linked Events

• Sandwich & Fish & Chip Tour: 12 September, 2009

Author Topic: Sandwich and Fish & Chip Tour of Kent - Sat. 12th September  (Read 10390 times)

cpjmathieson

Re: Sandwich and Fish & Chip Tour of Kent - Sat. 12th September
« Reply #25 on: 27 August, 2009, 08:33:47 pm »
I've replied on the cyclechat forum but I'm up for this.  I love the Kent coast  ;D

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #26 on: 03 September, 2009, 06:38:08 pm »
As said elsewhere, I'm up for this one.

It'll be car to Whitstable Station for me...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #27 on: 03 September, 2009, 09:21:02 pm »
 :thumbsup:
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #28 on: 03 September, 2009, 09:39:52 pm »
If someone could try the saithe fillet and chips at £1.95 and report back please.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #29 on: 03 September, 2009, 09:45:30 pm »
Pollocks
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #30 on: 03 September, 2009, 09:46:58 pm »
Coley actually.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #31 on: 03 September, 2009, 09:50:38 pm »
Ah - just shows I can't trust everything I read on the internet.

I'll give it a go and let you know.

« Reply #32 on: 03 September, 2009, 09:55:10 pm »
I have to confess my source is no better. They are both members of the cod family though

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #33 on: 06 September, 2009, 09:38:38 am »
On my recce ride yesterday, I cut the corner avoiding Ramsgate, so the full food review will have to wait until next week.

The amended route is here.

After leaving Whitstable, the route goes on the Crab & Winkle path to Canterbury.  This is gravel (with a paved bridge over the A299), although in places it's a bit rocky.  However it's fine on 23mm tyres.  It drops down into Canterbury through the cycle path across the University, then we pick up another cycle path across to Fordwich.  This has a good surface although it's a bit narrow but I spent some time yesterday moving away brambles & nettles.  Then it's back on the roads again all the way to Sandwich, and then we go next to the A256 on the Viking Trail which is all pavement at that point, up to Ramsgate for a spot of lunch.  The route then basically follows the sea wall all the way around the coast back to Reculver, although at times it leaps back onto the coast road.

The sea wall is concrete blocks so a good surface, although in places the joints in blocks gets a bit tedious with the "thuds"!  Also when it goes past beach huts there are no cycling boards, so we may have to be careful on those stretches.

On the bit between Birchington and Reculver it's completely desolate but we'll also get to see the point where Thanet was orginally an island separate from the rest of Kent.  In Reculver we'll have a look at their ruined church, and then it's on the roads to Herne Hill and then back on the sea wall to Whitstable.

57.5 miles in total.  One big hill with some minor inclines and lots of water (hopefully in the sea).

Amended roll call

Me
Jurek
PippaG
Kats
Wowbagger
her_welshness
Auntie Helen
saoirse50
Sergeant Pluck (possible)

Edit - weather update.

Weather currently looking rather good.  A ridge of high pressure sitting on top, sunshine, hot, with a gentle (yes gentle) north-westerly wind of 10 mph.

Edit - wind a bit stronger at 15 mph and now from the north-east, but still manageble going along the sea front.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #34 on: 06 September, 2009, 09:42:54 am »
What I really like about those "No cycling" areas is that there is a 5 m.p.h. limit for bloody cars!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #35 on: 06 September, 2009, 09:57:04 am »
What I really like about those "No cycling" areas is that there is a 5 m.p.h. limit for bloody cars!

I routinely ignore the ones (quite a few) depicting a cycle within a circle which is then crossed with a diagonal line, and will continue to do so until such time as this sign appears in The Highway Code  :D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #36 on: 06 September, 2009, 09:58:06 am »

I routinely ignore the ones (quite a few) depicting a cycle within a circle which is then crossed with a diagonal line, and will continue to do so until such time as this sign appears in The Highway Code  :D

Then you'll ignore those instead. 8)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #37 on: 06 September, 2009, 11:42:25 am »

Then you'll ignore those instead. 8)

That's what I did yesterday on the recce.  :smug:

In fact at one point which had No Cycling boards up, there was also a very weathered max 5 mph warning to cyclists painted on the concrete.  ???

« Reply #38 on: 06 September, 2009, 12:14:57 pm »
Last Sunday there was one point, Westgate I think, where cycling is marked on the ground as being permitted. A beach-hut occupant, who had seen fit to extend his territory by a considerable margin across the promenade, asked me if I could walk. I informed him that I could from the discomfort of my saddle.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #39 on: 09 September, 2009, 05:56:35 pm »
Update.

There'll be a slight substitution to now go on some extra road in Canterbury, as the cycle path through the University is a) rather narrow in places, b) has some tricky barriers at the south end and c) they were still building across the start bit by the offices, meaning we'd have to move some big barriers to get across.

Meet inside Victoria Station at around 8.45?

(and the weather will still be lovely).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #40 on: 09 September, 2009, 09:52:27 pm »
I'm still up for the ride, just checking trains again. It would appear that the fare between Southend Central and Grays has gone up since Saturday. I paid £3.95 then for a day return. Now it's £4.20. >:(

I'm aiming to get a train from Dartford and to join your train from Rochester to Whitstable. Trouble is I've got to find my way to Dartford stn. I could do Stone Crossing again but the Dartford train leaves 12 minutes later.

So, it's 7.20 from Southend, arrives Grays 7.54.

Ride 2 miles to crossing control, get a lift across.

Ride 2 miles to Dartford station then:

9.04 to Rochester (9.31)
9.43 to Whitstable (you should all be on it!).

« Reply #41 on: 09 September, 2009, 09:54:00 pm »
I'm still up for the ride, just checking trains again. It would appear that the fare between Southend Central and Grays has gone up since Saturday. I paid £3.95 then for a day return. Now it's £4.20. >:(

I'm aiming to get a train from Dartford and to join your train from Rochester to Whitstable. Trouble is I've got to find my way to Dartford stn. I could do Stone Crossing again but the Dartford train leaves 12 minutes later.

9.04 to Rochester (9.31)

What could possibly go wrong?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #42 on: 09 September, 2009, 10:13:32 pm »

9.04 to Rochester (9.31)

What could possibly go wrong?

1. The Crossing guys delay me.
2. Me not find my way to Dartford station in time for the train.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #43 on: 09 September, 2009, 10:24:15 pm »
A thought: will there be a swimming opportunity? And are there any other takers for this sort of nonsense?

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #44 on: 10 September, 2009, 06:23:32 am »
I will pick the train up from Bromley South (signed up for this ride under cyclechat moniker, saoirse50 by the way) so will meet everyone on the train.  Also I have no mobile at the moment, (succumbed to Scottish rivers and storms)  so if for any reason you can't find me, don't waste time trying to ring my number if you have it.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #45 on: 10 September, 2009, 07:59:50 am »
I will pick the train up from Bromley South (signed up for this ride under cyclechat moniker, saoirse50 by the way) so will meet everyone on the train.  Also I have no mobile at the moment, (succumbed to Scottish rivers and storms)  so if for any reason you can't find me, don't waste time trying to ring my number if you have it.

I'm meeting Jane at Bromley Saarth at 9.a.m - anyone else want to meet there and get us a groupsave?

I would be up for a swim too Wow - the waters will be at their warmest!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #46 on: 10 September, 2009, 08:44:18 am »
It would appear that high tide in Whitstable is at 6.20 - so I'd say a good opportunity to have a post-ride dip!

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #47 on: 10 September, 2009, 03:50:16 pm »
It would appear that high tide in Whitstable is at 6.20 - so I'd say a good opportunity to have a post-ride dip!

Oooh yes!

We have a third person joining us at Bromley Saarth, anyone else?  :)

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #48 on: 10 September, 2009, 04:40:52 pm »
We have a third person joining us at Bromley Saarth, anyone else?  :)

Yep - Jurek and I will be joining you all at Bromley South on Saturday.

See you then  :D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #49 on: 10 September, 2009, 04:48:34 pm »
Oh, and rest assured that I will be bringing my trusty Speedos. :thumbsup: