Author Topic: More route advice, this time north Notts > Leeds-ish > Cumbria  (Read 1418 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Given the fab route advice I've had before from yacf, I thought I'd give it another go. This time I'm going from north Nottinghamshire to Cumbria. I've used some of MSeries' Leeds - Carlisle - Leeds route, which looks great. The bit I struggling with most is finding a route through the Doncaster - Pontefract - Leeds maze. This is what I've come up with some far, but I'm sure there are better routes that I've not considered.

Cheers.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Re: More route advice, this time north Notts > Leeds-ish > Cumbria
« Reply #1 on: 05 August, 2009, 02:54:52 pm »
It is a bit of a maze I'd agree. Avoid Doncaster centre, there is a huge flyover and roundabouts that are not nice. Your route avoids it nicely on the route I would take. The bit east of the A1, south of the M62, west of the A19, the Cridling Stubb-Campsall area is laney and pleasant but easy to get lost, there are unsigned roads. I would maybe stay futher west and go through Castleford, Pontefract and on to the B roads to South Elmsall, Hooton Pagnall to join your route near Donny. It's a bit more main roady though, I have not cycled on the main road south of Ponty, the A639 though so can't say what it'll be like. The road to Cas might be busy during the week too.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #2 on: 05 August, 2009, 04:25:07 pm »
Cheers, I've taken your suggestions on board and that section of the route looks a bit more friendly. This would be a weekend ride with an early start, so hopefully the A639 south of Pontefract wouldn't be too busy. However, the roundabout where the A639 meets the M62 doesn't look very friendly, but it's only one roundabout. If it's totally awful I'm sure I could walk around the outside of it.

What's your experience (if any) of the A656 north of Castleford?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #3 on: 05 August, 2009, 04:32:54 pm »
That roundabout could easily be avoided there are underpasses/bridges not far away. It's a big roundabout and traffic light controlled so traffic is not too fast. It's the turn off for Xscape so does see a fair bit of traffic. I'd take one of the alternatives, I can't be arsed with the stress these days. EDIT: I see a bike path to the east anyway.

The A656 is straight and fast but down hill running north to south so you get to go quite fast too. I have used it at all hours and while one has to be careful with cars passing quickly it's not too bad. Not many turn offs, no roundabouts. Cas/Ponte has a 'cruise scene' so one gets youths in souped up Corsas etc tear arsing around at weekends.

You could exit Cas on the A655/B6421 to Featherstone then the B6428 to Fitzwilliam then the B6273 through Hemsworth then he B6422 to South Kirby. This is more familiar to me as I tend to approach from Wakefield.

« Reply #4 on: 05 August, 2009, 04:39:36 pm »
Will you be starting in Warsop?

My usual route from slightly further south in Mansfield, -> Worksop is through Edwinstowe, Budby and past Carburton which avoids the A60 and IMO makes it easier to get though Worksop once there.

Doncaster is a easy to get through from south to north if you do decide to go through. Just not the other way.
Don't ask.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #5 on: 05 August, 2009, 06:50:37 pm »
Yip, starting from Warsop. From a study of the map, I'd guess this is the better way through Worksop?

« Reply #6 on: 05 August, 2009, 09:45:48 pm »
Ah, I'd assumed you'd be travelling south,