Author Topic: Nottingham to London on Sat. 20/3/10  (Read 13603 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Nottingham to London on Sat. 20/3/10
« on: 03 February, 2010, 05:55:05 pm »
On Saturday 20th March I, along with Adam and TimO (TBC), are planning to ride from Nottingham to London, which will be around 210 km / 130 miles. The draft route I’ve come up with is this: google maps. The 06h55 train from London St. Pancras gets to Nottingham at 08h42, so the plan is to leave Nottingham train station by 9am. We’ll be going at a brisk-ish pace to ensure we get as much of the ride done before the sun vanishes, which’ll be around 18h15.

Having played around with ViaMichelin, it should be possible to turn this into a 200 DIY Audax. Controls at Nottingham train station, Market Harborough, Olney, Flitwick, High Barnet and finishing at St. Pancras gave me a minimum distance of between 205 and 207 km depending if I chose the shortest or by bike option, although this needs to be verified.

Is anyone else interested in coming along for all, or part of the route?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Nottingham to London on Sat. 20/3/10
« Reply #1 on: 03 February, 2010, 06:09:48 pm »
Ask Valiant what route he took the other way, that is if he can remember he was rather tied after it :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Chris N

« Reply #2 on: 03 February, 2010, 06:23:32 pm »
Sounds like a nice idea - are you planning on heading back up to Nottingham the same day?

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3 on: 03 February, 2010, 06:44:49 pm »
My route via Sat Nav with B roads preffered.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4 on: 03 February, 2010, 07:28:56 pm »
This is the wrong direction for me but it has given me an idea.I'll start another thread

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #5 on: 03 February, 2010, 07:57:29 pm »
Currently, cheap tickets can be had for £9 from St. Pancras to Nottingham on the East Midlands Trains web site. 

They don't do cycle reservations, but the 125s they run have that small train manager's area at one end which you can stuff 3 or 4 bikes into.  They do have a couple of old trains which have a type of guards van.  In addition, I've also regularly had my bike in one of the carriage ends which has plenty of walking space around.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

αdαmsκι

« Reply #6 on: 04 February, 2010, 07:10:45 am »
Sounds like a nice idea - are you planning on heading back up to Nottingham the same day?

I'll stay in London on Saturday night with some friends.

They don't do cycle reservations, but the 125s they run have that small train manager's area at one end which you can stuff 3 or 4 bikes into.  They do have a couple of old trains which have a type of guards van.  In addition, I've also regularly had my bike in one of the carriage ends which has plenty of walking space around.

Last time I used East Midlands trains I booked tickets online via the East Midlands website and then phoned up to get a bike reservation. It kinda ruins the point of booking online, but I did manage to get the correct pieces of paper.

________
Edited for spelling
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

Chris N

« Reply #7 on: 04 February, 2010, 08:31:52 am »
Ok, thanks chaps.  If I'm coming, I'll get the train back up - to Tamworth rather than Nottingham as it's closer to home.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #8 on: 04 February, 2010, 09:34:59 am »
While it's my neck-of-the-woods, I think you'd better go without me.  I'd only slow you down.  But I might show a face at Nottingham station to wave you off...
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #9 on: 04 February, 2010, 11:08:43 am »
While it's my neck-of-the-woods, I think you'd better go without me.  I'd only slow you down.  But I might show a face at Nottingham station to wave you off...

+1!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #10 on: 04 February, 2010, 04:55:44 pm »
OK, I've booked my train ticket, and bike reservation, to get me back to Nottingham for Sunday 21st March. I now just need to find somewhere to sleep on Saturday night ;D.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #11 on: 06 February, 2010, 02:20:39 pm »
I've now booked this, using the Southern Railway web site, as that lets you reserve the bike space at the same time!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

αdαmsκι

« Reply #12 on: 07 February, 2010, 10:08:09 pm »
I've now booked this, using the Southern Railway web site, as that lets you reserve the bike space at the same time!
Super. I shall see you, possibly along with yacf folk waving us off!, at Nottingham railway station. Time to submit this as a 200 DIY.

« Reply #13 on: 12 February, 2010, 10:43:13 pm »
... We’ll be going at a brisk-ish pace to ensure we get as much of the ride done before the sun vanishes, which’ll be around 18h15. ...

Worried.  I'm not sure how much I do a "brisk-ish" pace. :-\

Anyway, I'm committed now, I've booked my ticket, including Bike reservation.  It cost me £10, I guess I waited too long for the really cheap £9 tickets!

The ever so slightly annoying thing, is that the return ticket is also £10.  I should have bought that one and given the return bit away.
Actually, it is rocket science.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #14 on: 13 February, 2010, 10:32:45 am »
Anyway, I'm committed now, I've booked my ticket, including Bike reservation.  It cost me £10, I guess I waited too long for the really cheap £9 tickets!
:thumbsup: Welcome aboard!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #15 on: 13 February, 2010, 04:55:28 pm »
... We’ll be going at a brisk-ish pace to ensure we get as much of the ride done before the sun vanishes, which’ll be around 18h15. ...

Worried.  I'm not sure how much I do a "brisk-ish" pace. :-\

:demon:

You got a bargain!  Regardless of how early I looked, it was always £11 from Luton, and that's 20 minutes nearer to Nottingham.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #16 on: 18 February, 2010, 11:58:32 am »
I've transfered the planned route to RouteYou, which also gives an elevation profile.

« Reply #17 on: 02 March, 2010, 09:06:30 am »
So, no other takers, to make me look faster? ;D

I'm going to die horribly on this ride, left behind by the others on their race whippet bikes, when I'll be on the straight handlebared Kaffenback.

I thought about getting the Super Galaxy back together, but with less than three weeks to go, that's never going to happen, I'm far too busy at work.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Chris N

« Reply #18 on: 02 March, 2010, 12:23:03 pm »
Sorry chaps, I can't make it now. Going to Denmark instead!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #19 on: 02 March, 2010, 05:03:40 pm »
^^^^
on the Roadrat?
Impressive ;D

Naggers

• Lost in a daze
« Reply #20 on: 17 March, 2010, 04:48:27 pm »
I've transfered the planned route to RouteYou, which also gives an elevation profile.

One little tip.

When you get to Barton-le-Clay it's still worth coming off the A6 into the village but go straight through and up Barton Cutting on the Luton Road then left at the top onto Barton Hill Road and back onto your route to Lilley.

If you take your planned route out of Barton on the B655 Hexton Road/Hitchin Road you've got a really dangerous Right Turn at Hexton and a much worse hill to climb than Barton Cutting.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #21 on: 17 March, 2010, 04:58:42 pm »
Good point Dave.   :thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

« Reply #22 on: 17 March, 2010, 05:00:45 pm »
But I is confused. From what I could gleam from google maps, that involves cycling along the dual carriageway section of the A6, or am I missing something like a cycle path or a parallel road?

αdαmsκι

« Reply #23 on: 17 March, 2010, 05:05:10 pm »

+1!

Are you still coming to wave us off? If so I'll get down to Nottingham station earlier for a natter.

Naggers

• Lost in a daze
« Reply #24 on: 17 March, 2010, 05:31:13 pm »
But I is confused. From what I could gleam from google maps, that involves cycling along the dual carriageway section of the A6, or am I missing something like a cycle path or a parallel road?

True, but if you still go through the village of Barton you rejoin the A6 half way up the cutting and it's only about 200 meters of dual carriageway up to the roundabout at the top.
I think there's even a good hard shoulder but it's certainly better than the Right turn in Hexton which is at the bottom of a blind dip.