Author Topic: Norfolk Anyone? 10-14 Oct.  (Read 1501 times)

Norfolk Anyone? 10-14 Oct.
« on: 15 August, 2008, 03:35:50 pm »
Calling all Norfolk folk! I'm going to be an Essex boy in Norfolk this October - my dear old mother has organised a family get-together and hired a house in Shouldham Thorpe (near Kings Lynn) for a week. I'm going to be around from Friday the 10th to Tuesday the 14th of October and I'm hoping it's good cycling country round that way. Could anyone suggest places worth a visit in the area or even recommend a route I might take? Or, even better - would any fellow forumers like to get together for a group ride at this time?

Chris S

Re: Norfolk Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2008, 04:02:24 pm »
Cracking cycling country (ignoring Lynn itself, which is a hole - except maybe the waterfront) over the whole of NW Norfolk.

If you like getting up close and personal with trees, there's a well known Trials course in Shouldham Warren. My #1 Son used to go there every week - you can "catch some good air" there apparently, whatever that means.

You can head South from Shouldham and play "Hunt the Contour" in the Fens. Head North, and it's slightly lumpier towards Hunstanton. If you like plane spotting, Shouldham is next to RAF Marham; it's been pretty quiet there for a few months as the lads have been away bombing the Taliban, but I think they came home last week.

I'll check my Calendar - I may be around for a cheeky beer or few one evening/lunchtime if you like.

Re: Norfolk Anyone?
« Reply #2 on: 15 August, 2008, 04:35:58 pm »
Thanks, sounds good. I'll be sticking firmly to the roads and trying not to catch any air! My dad is also quite a keen cyclist and may well bring one of his bikes along too. Plenty of time to organise something...

Re: Norfolk Anyone? 10-14 Oct.
« Reply #3 on: 08 October, 2008, 11:24:31 am »
*bump!*

Google Maps

OK, so one option I'm thinking of is getting the train to Norwich on Friday and then riding the above route (40mi) to Shouldham - to return via the same on Tuesday. Is anyone familiar with this area? Any roads I should avoid, or places definitely worth a stop? Also, what's the route out of Norwich town like? It looks straightforward enough, I just hope the roads aren't too treacherous...

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 08 October, 2008, 12:32:37 pm »
Pretty much past my doorstep. That's the route I normally use to/from Norwich; as long as you stay away from the A47 you'll be fine. The A1122 is full of Beet trucks going to/from the refinery at Whissington so it'll probably be miserable along there, but you're not on it for long.

Depending on what time you are passing on Friday, I may be around and able to offer a pit stop (we are in Necton, just North of your route and about halfway between Norwich and Shouldham). I'm at the Dentist in the morning, but should be around later.

As far as getting together over the weekend is concerned - Saturday is out as I'm off Audaxing, but Sunday might be a possibility.

« Reply #5 on: 08 October, 2008, 05:39:38 pm »
A bunch of us will be passing through Kings Lynn sometime Saturday night/Sunday morning on the October 600.
We'll be coming from Hunstanton, down the A149 and on to Long Sutton for some sleep in the travelodge.
If you see a bunch riding along late at night or early in the morning, it could be us.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #6 on: 09 October, 2008, 05:52:06 pm »
What time arriving in Norwich - i can easily come to station and get you safely out of Norwich and on your way  - maybe do some miles with you.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #7 on: 09 October, 2008, 07:17:47 pm »
Hello! I probably will cycle, but I don't really know yet what time I'll get to Norwich - I'm keeping my plans loose and will help my folks pack their cars up before heading off. The place we're all staying at is available from 3pm so I guess ideally I'd like to get to Norwich for about midday. Haven't looked at train times from Chelmsford yet. Watch this space - I'll get back when I've decided on a plan!

Thanks for the offers guys...