Author Topic: PBP Pastries  (Read 4095 times)

PBP Pastries
« on: 31 May, 2019, 08:39:27 pm »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris–Brest

Well I never. Get many of these on the ride?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: PBP Pastries
« Reply #1 on: 31 May, 2019, 09:00:41 pm »
A few during but mostly beforehand or afterwards. There are several other riders competing for the limited number of pastries available along the route...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2019, 10:11:30 pm »
As long as they are not the perverse modern straight Paris Brests that can be seen both here in the UK (Paul) and in France.

I do not think I have ever had one on the ride, but certainly before and after!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2019, 08:18:27 am »
Since they're supposed to be wheel-shaped a straight one can only result from a narsty accident. Les Pâtisseries Paul have a lot to answer for.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

madamemugwump

« Reply #4 on: 01 June, 2019, 08:23:33 am »
I didn't really look for them during (not that one has too) but they are pretty commonly available elsewhere throughout the county/year. For a similarly carb-loaded treat, do try a religieuse... for comparisons sake ;)

rob

« Reply #5 on: 02 June, 2019, 06:57:58 am »
New posh French place near the office does them takeaway.  Four quid, though....

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 02 June, 2019, 11:29:35 am »
Since they're supposed to be wheel-shaped a straight one can only result from a narsty accident. Les Pâtisseries Paul have a lot to answer for.

Do you know the difference between a straight-shaped croissant and a croissant-shaped one?  (In France, probably doesn't apply in the UK.)

(click to show/hide)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #7 on: 02 June, 2019, 11:43:19 am »
Oddly, a version of the Paris-Brest is the go-to cake treat for the people of Central Lancashire. The large Coffee Renoirs are always the wheel shape. The smaller ones are usually bun-shaped, but our local bakery does small wheel-shaped ones.

This one is sold by the cafe at the local Hospice. Why stint on treats if you're not going to be around much longer?

https://www.stcatherines.co.uk/shop/coffee-renoir/

« Reply #8 on: 03 June, 2019, 11:36:41 am »
our local bakery does small wheel-shaped ones.

Why don't you suggest them to call that cake a London-Edinburgh?

« Reply #9 on: 03 June, 2019, 11:54:15 am »
our local bakery does small wheel-shaped ones.

Why don't you suggest them to call that cake a London-Edinburgh?

The St Catherine's hospice cafe is less than 200 metres from the Lands End-John O' Groats route that Michael Broadwith took to get the record last year. So calling the cake a LEJOG would work. It's next to the junction of the A6 and the M65, where there are lots of other facilities. https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7225673,-2.6734483,16.82z

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10 on: 03 June, 2019, 01:27:41 pm »
Catherine Wheel, more like.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #12 on: 19 July, 2019, 05:52:43 pm »
I enjoyed this one two weeks ago from the patisserie in Senonches (on the PBP route, between Mortagne-au-Perche & Dreux)

Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

« Reply #13 on: 19 July, 2019, 06:13:32 pm »
I love these, but the one I had between Tinteniac and Fougeres in 2015, whilst utterly delicious - and not particularly large, sat rather heavy on my stomach for a number of hours after consumption.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #14 on: 19 July, 2019, 06:20:34 pm »
Didn't the contestants on the Great British Bake Off have to make them as a part of the technical challenge during pastry week, once?  They did a bit on 'what the PBP rides is' too.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #15 on: 19 July, 2019, 06:47:06 pm »
I saw a Paris Brest flavoured ice cream this week, in the Dordogne so strictly in the name of research, I had a coupe de boule in my cornet.  It tasted of caramel and exhaustion.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #16 on: 22 July, 2019, 04:26:49 pm »
New posh French place near the office does them takeaway.  Four quid, though....

Any chance you are talking about Chez Antoinette in Westminster/Victoria?  If so, we are very close neighbours! (I work in the offices above).

They do also make them and I told myself I couldn't have one until after completing - so cannot comment on resemblance to the en route versions - of which I also hope to award myself upon passing.

« Reply #17 on: 27 July, 2019, 10:57:14 am »
Mentioned just now on the Home Service, in the episode of the Kitchen Cabinet that's about to finish

rob

« Reply #18 on: 27 July, 2019, 11:34:43 am »

Any chance you are talking about Chez Antoinette in Westminster/Victoria?  If so, we are very close neighbours! (I work in the offices above).

They do also make them and I told myself I couldn't have one until after completing - so cannot comment on resemblance to the en route versions - of which I also hope to award myself upon passing.

Yes, I’m in the big shiny building on the corner of Buckingham Gate and Victoria Street.

I was in Le Touquet last week and the patisserie we found had straight Paris-Brests.   Couldn’t bring myself to buy one.

markldn

« Reply #19 on: 29 July, 2019, 05:39:23 pm »

Yes, I’m in the big shiny building on the corner of Buckingham Gate and Victoria Street.

I was in Le Touquet last week and the patisserie we found had straight Paris-Brests.   Couldn’t bring myself to buy one.

Nice - small world.  Great—motivated—minds think alike!  Maybe we can have a post-ride reunion with others in the area if we don't manage to get our hands on one during the ride (not sure a mass of sugar like that would be a great decision in hindsight), or at the finish.

« Reply #20 on: 31 July, 2019, 05:52:14 pm »
So I also work in the area and popped in to Chez Antoinette on Palmer Street this morning and ordered a "Paris-Brest" . They aren't advertised, and the first member of staff had to make enquiries, but I was confident they'd have one on the basis of this blog.  It was a bit on the squishy side when it arrived - good all the same though. I was given a knife and fork to eat it with. So maybe not food for the road!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #21 on: 01 August, 2019, 01:12:49 pm »
Also  available at Maison Berteaux in Soho..

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 01 August, 2019, 03:34:00 pm »
[Ancient history]

The café attached to either Tesco or Woolworth's offered these in Poole in 1996...

markldn

« Reply #23 on: 07 August, 2019, 12:15:00 am »
So I also work in the area and popped in to Chez Antoinette on Palmer Street this morning and ordered a "Paris-Brest" . They aren't advertised, and the first member of staff had to make enquiries, but I was confident they'd have one on the basis of this blog.  It was a bit on the squishy side when it arrived - good all the same though. I was given a knife and fork to eat it with. So maybe not food for the road!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cheater!  Rob and I are set to go for a coffee there next week if you want to join.  Thinking Friday morning.  PM me.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #24 on: 07 August, 2019, 05:26:46 pm »
Official information from the PBP press pack