Author Topic: Jiggling Joysticks by Jimminy!  (Read 1908 times)

Jiggling Joysticks by Jimminy!
« on: 17 May, 2012, 11:16:18 pm »
Finally got around to mounting the Etrex30 on my handlebars instead of keeping it lurking in my barbag.

Because of the vibration in the bars when riding I find it almost impossible to depress the joystick button cleanly when attempting to select one of the menu options; instead it seems to result in an up/down/left/right signal which just moves the highlight from one option to the adjacent option without selecting either. 

Since I mainly want to switch between the Map page and the Trip Computer page it could be that Francis's menu modification which ISTR gives both options using the Back button instead could be the way to go. (No problem pushing the buttons, it's just the joystick depression that gives problems.)

This all made me looking enviously at my clubmate's Edge800 with its giant touch sensitive screen, more so when he told me that you can now connect a battery pack containing standard AA cells via the mini USB socket to recharge the internal battery. (Did I get that right?).

--
Bryn

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Jiggling Joysticks by Jimminy!
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2012, 11:24:49 pm »
I never had much luck operating the joysticks on the Legend or Vista on a moving bike, either...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 18 May, 2012, 09:24:39 am »
Nor me.

Trouble with the touch screen is that you have to look at the screen (and therefore not at the road) - a) to make sure you're prodding your podgy finger at the right thing, and then b) to make sure you activated it.  I was slightly uneasy with this, on busy roads.  With a button-led system you only have to give it quick glances when you can.

Putting 2 screens on the Back button really is a win-win, you don't lose any functionality at all and you gain this handy 'toggle mode' button.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #3 on: 18 May, 2012, 09:35:02 am »
+1 for setting (my Vista hcx) to toggle between the map and computer screen) by clicking rhs button. No data fields on map to max map size, and um always going as fast as I can so moving ave etc doesn't really matter. Tbh, I find looking at the data fields rather depressing...

« Reply #4 on: 18 May, 2012, 10:37:59 am »
And how do you do this? Sounds very handy!

vindec

• per ardua ad aqua
« Reply #5 on: 18 May, 2012, 12:51:00 pm »
+1 for two screens only. I don't think I'd ever have worked that one out - many thanks F-F. I have to admit that, for me, the joystick jobby is difficult to use even in armchair mode without gloves...

« Reply #6 on: 18 May, 2012, 02:14:44 pm »

Frankie's setup info is here:
http://www.aukadia.net/gps/
 - it's the 'page key' bit.

I've got mine set to cycle around map/computer/top menu.

« Reply #7 on: 18 May, 2012, 02:22:10 pm »
That button is so easy to use compared to the joystick thingy that there's no real need to limit to just two screens.  On mine (Legend) it toggles between 4 screens (map, compass, computer and main menu), though I rarely use compass or computer these days.

What would be good would be a way to have two separate pages set to map, so that one has a couple of data fields and the other is full-screen map.  I don't think this is an option, but am now sitting back waiting in case someone here knows how to do it ;D

« Reply #8 on: 18 May, 2012, 04:58:35 pm »
Just had a quick look on mine - it's all in the relevant profile file in /Garmin/Profiles (which is xml, despite the gpf extension).

Looks like you *might* be able to add two maps to the sequencing, but it doesn't look like there's any (obvious) way to giving each one a different setup.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #9 on: 19 May, 2012, 09:20:34 am »

Please use
http://www.aukadia.net/gps/lwg_4.htm (for the Legend/Vista, and other 'old OS' types)
http://www.aukadia.net/gps/lw3_4.htm (for the Etrex 20/30) scroll down a bit on this page

Profiles seems like a good idea - but, assuming you start from the map page, changing profiles on an E20/30 probably involves more clicks (about 8, on mine) than swapping between 2 map data fields and none on a Vista (4 clicks).   :facepalm:
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #10 on: 19 May, 2012, 10:49:36 am »
I have found that placing the full pad of my thumb (thumb parallel to bars) over the 'stick and pressing firmly gives a much higher success rate than a prod/stabbing action at it.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #11 on: 19 May, 2012, 09:48:08 pm »

I've got mine set to cycle around map/computer/top menu.

Thanks for that. Like it alot. Another top tip from Frank!