Author Topic: Stevenage Start of Summertime 200km - March 29th 2020  (Read 5218 times)

Re: Stevenage Start of Summertime 200km - March 29th 2020
« Reply #25 on: 20 September, 2020, 02:56:49 pm »
All riders successfully launched from their time slots towards Suffolk this morning. Grey skies to start but blue skies arrived about an hour after they set off.  Looks like headwind out and tailwind home.

Commiserations for those who couldn’t make it due to various reasons.

« Reply #26 on: 21 September, 2020, 10:21:00 am »
Great ride yesterday Phil, thank you for organising. Stunning weather and scenery, good company on the road and even the cars were behaving themselves. Shopping for food and getting receipts was a challenge with the time you had to queue but all in all - a perfect day out

« Reply #27 on: 21 September, 2020, 01:13:08 pm »
I was going to suggest moving it permanently to this time of year if we can have the weather again ;D

The sun broke through just as I topped the hill approaching Great Chishill. After that it was sun all the way.

Much as I like the old route, nice to ride some less familiar roads. I don't know the stretch from Saffron Walden to Hempstead that well, nor the roads around Bures. I got to Lavenham in good time (for a full-value rider) and had high hopes of a fast time, with the wind now being behind. In that vein, I decided to delay lunch, which I had with me, till Bures. That bit was a struggle though. It rather set the tone, in that I just went slower and slower, especially once into Essex and a few more hills.

Finchingfield was crowded as ever. I nearly went on to Thaxted, but spotted a cafe with a couple of tables, and at in the sunshine over tea and a cake. The motorbikers at the next table were discussing their collections of machines, and rebuilding the ones that they had first bought decades ago as youngsters. I looked over at my Dawes frame, thirty years old and fresh from a Mercian respray, on its first outing after I finally finished the build the day before. Not so different then :thumbsup:

I even nearly finished in daylight, using lights only from around Aston.

Really good day out. Thanks again to Phil.

« Reply #28 on: 21 September, 2020, 07:13:45 pm »
Thaxted as the middle of a figure of eight loop of the original route was never the same after Poppy’s cafe closed.  Some of the route changes are to meet stricter min distance rules. Other changes like going to Saffron just ties up with the also changed 160km and 100km events that normally run as part of the day. But always nice for event routes to evolve a little from year to year if other nice lanes can be substituted and / or cafes open and close

Glad you had a good day out. It was indeed fine weather from mid morning onwards.