Author Topic: Mobile germs...  (Read 7406 times)

Mobile germs...
« on: 12 February, 2019, 06:17:19 pm »
Mobile phones are supposedly 'dirtier than toilet seats', being touched in all situations, multiple times a day.  So how often do you disinfect your mobiles, and do you eat finger snacks while using it?   ;)

Personally, I take the mobile bump case off for a clean, only now and again...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Mobile germs...
« Reply #1 on: 12 February, 2019, 07:58:24 pm »
I don't have a smartphone.
I don't sanitise my phone.

David does not sanitise his iPhone.

Neither of us is wedded to our phone like some folk are.

I think if I had a smartphone and still worked in a hospital, I would try to wipe the screen with an injection wipe (isopropyl alcohol & chlorhexidine) every day.

Injection wipes clean specs and screens, restart ballpoints, remove stains and more...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 12 February, 2019, 08:01:42 pm »
+1 for injection wipes.  Screen[1] cleaner of choice in my parents' household.

I occasionally give my phone a squirt of IPA if I've got the screen greasy.  I reckon anything handled by humans is crawling in bacteria anyway, and toilets make a poor comparison because people massively overestimate how dirty they are.

Ob-xkcd:

[1] Of course in those days it were nowt but CRTs...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2019, 08:09:26 pm »
Toilet seats often get a chance to cool and dry between uses.

Phones get spat on, pawed many times and oft, and stored in warm, moist pockets or pouches.

The world is full of bugs and most post little problem to those with intact skin and a functioning immune system.

It's worth reducing one's general bug count by appropriate hand-washing etc.

« Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2019, 08:28:46 pm »
Humans have survived far dirtier things than mobile phones.

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #6 on: 12 February, 2019, 08:49:43 pm »
Injection wipes clean specs...

I may have had to return a pair of glasses after the coating came off
I can't think how that happened
(hides sterets...)  ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 12 February, 2019, 08:57:58 pm »

Tell that to 2/3 of the population of Golgafrincham.

« Reply #8 on: 12 February, 2019, 09:13:40 pm »
If it's your own phone, why does it matter? It's only your own germs, if any. As long as no one else uses it.

I bought a couple of secondhand phones in excellent and clean condition recently, I gave them a quick clean with a damp cloth and I use one of them everyday and it hasn't worried me one bit.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #9 on: 12 February, 2019, 09:22:34 pm »

We used to have telephone sanitsers where I last worked.  If you happened to be on the phone when they turned up, they'd sanitise your face.   :sick:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 12 February, 2019, 09:53:32 pm »
If it's your own phone, why does it matter? It's only your own germs, if any. As long as no one else uses it.

I bought a couple of secondhand phones in excellent and clean condition recently, I gave them a quick clean with a damp cloth and I use one of them everyday and it hasn't worried me one bit.

If you never touch or kiss anyone else, nor prepare food for others, that might be fair....

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 12 February, 2019, 09:59:07 pm »
I am given to understand that Jews were burnt at stake for witchcraft in the Middle Ages.

They were in the habit of washing their hands:
when getting out of bed
before food
after toilet
after touching feet and shoes.

They didn't suffer Plague like some compatriots.

Just saying...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 12 February, 2019, 10:01:24 pm »

Indeed, some survived childbirth and surgery before Semmelweiss and Lister...

« Reply #13 on: 12 February, 2019, 10:22:15 pm »
And we have this:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/feb/11/germs-are-not-real-fox-news-host-pete-hegseth

::-)

Hasn't washed his hands in how many years?  :o :sick:

That's just anti-social - in fact, there is one use of pervasive CCTV with facial recognition that I could get behind and that's a system that sounds a klaxon and flashes a GBFO light over the door to the facilities if someone uses them without washing their hands*.  :demon:

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/28/poo-found-on-every-mcdonalds-touchscreen-tested-8178486/

* H/T Gary Larson: https://holdyourhorse.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/a72a80fd9c449fda51c0931d3387a35d.jpg
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14 on: 12 February, 2019, 10:25:51 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15 on: 12 February, 2019, 10:29:17 pm »
I am given to understand that Jews were burnt at stake for witchcraft in the Middle Ages.

when getting out of bed
before food
after toilet

Just saying...
And did they shake hands? Doing namaskara rather than shaking hands is sometimes cited as an Indian hygiene habit.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 12 February, 2019, 10:33:35 pm »

when getting out of bed
before food
after toilet

Just saying...
And did they shake hands? Doing namaskara rather than shaking hands is sometimes cited as an Indian hygiene habit.

Don't know. Women were seen as potentially menstrually unclean and never touched by men. Don't know if men touched each other.

« Reply #17 on: 12 February, 2019, 10:38:31 pm »
And we have this:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/feb/11/germs-are-not-real-fox-news-host-pete-hegseth

That's just anti-social - in fact, there is one use of pervasive CCTV with facial recognition that I could get behind and that's a system that sounds a klaxon and flashes a GBFO light over the door to the facilities if someone uses them without washing their hands*.  :demon:

https://metro.co.uk/2018/11/28/poo-found-on-every-mcdonalds-touchscreen-tested-8178486/

* H/T Gary Larson: https://holdyourhorse.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/a72a80fd9c449fda51c0931d3387a35d.jpg

He said that either as a joke or as something that's slightly outrageous to get a reaction. Or maybe he really does believe germs don't exist.

Make up your own mind instead of believing everything you read in the "papers" (including the Guardian).

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #18 on: 12 February, 2019, 10:41:23 pm »

We used to have telephone sanitsers where I last worked.  If you happened to be on the phone when they turned up, they'd sanitise your face.   :sick:

I cleaned my phone at work a few weeks ago and was dismayed by my neighbouring cow-orker's lack of knowledge of the B-Ark  ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 12 February, 2019, 10:44:32 pm »

I cleaned my phone at work a few weeks ago and was dismayed by my neighbouring cow-orker's lack of knowledge of the B-Ark  ::-)

Or 'Great Britain' as it's now known...

« Reply #20 on: 13 February, 2019, 07:54:37 am »

We had a cleaner at one place I worked who was like that. She sanitised phones, keyboards, screens, everything. Didn't matter if people were using them or not. Would spray and wipe a keyboard while someone was typing, without warning. More than one person lost, or had a load of work wrecked because her cleaning cloth descended on the keyboard. Calls would be cut off because she'd sprayed and wiped the telephone keypad.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #21 on: 13 February, 2019, 08:12:06 am »
And we have this:

He said that either as a joke or as something that's slightly outrageous to get a reaction. Or maybe he really does believe germs don't exist.

Make up your own mind instead of believing everything you read in the "papers" (including the Guardian).

So, you’ve given three options there. Which do you believe?

Also, is it even possible to believe everything in the papers, such is the contrast between different titles?
It is simpler than it looks.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #22 on: 13 February, 2019, 09:03:05 am »
Mobile phones are supposedly 'dirtier than toilet seats', being touched in all situations, multiple times a day.  So how often do you disinfect your mobiles, and do you eat finger snacks while using it?   ;)

Personally, I take the mobile bump case off for a clean, only now and again...

Why did you come to think that germs that live on glass or metal are going to be harmful to you?

SOME germs might cause diseases and typically only in people who are already immunodepressed. The key to staying healthy is not to fight germs, but rather to... ehm... stay healthy  ::-)

Your body and all its cavities are perfectly adapted to fight foreign bacteria and that is even before your immune system comes into play. All bacteria that live in your cavities and on your skin are your friends and outcompete "bad bacteria"... it's only when you try to get rid of ALL bacteria from your body that the bad ones are allowed to grow and thrive in the absence of competition, potentially causing disease.

Moral: wash less rather than more and even more importantly, avoid products that claim to kill bacteria and if you can, avoid chemical soaps altogether

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #23 on: 13 February, 2019, 09:16:24 am »
Germs don’t live on glass, they get there from somewhere else. Like E. coli or similar from your arse getting on your hand when you don’t wipe properly, then on the phone when you answer it.

It is simpler than it looks.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #24 on: 13 February, 2019, 09:20:15 am »
Germs don’t live on glass, they get there from somewhere else. Like E. coli or similar from your arse getting on your hand when you don’t wipe properly, then on the phone when you answer it.

Technically there is something already wrong with your health, if you get ill out of your own arse, as you say...

On the other hand, there is something wrong if someone elese's arse bugs end up on your phone... ::-)

But all of the above stands... a healthy bacteria population will wipe out any nasty e-coli before it can be harmful