Author Topic: SP Dyno Hubs Service Options from UK Distributor  (Read 2653 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
SP Dyno Hubs Service Options from UK Distributor
« on: 02 February, 2017, 05:07:53 pm »
Here's the answer/options from Ison the UK distributors -

So, the UK service options we list are:

Exchange Unit SP hub options offered via Ison:
(Note: All exchange units are pre-used hubs that have been factory serviced and re-conditioned, and are supplied in poly bags.)

1) Exchange unit option:
Total of £25.00 including freight and VAT to end user for the exchange service.
(Customer must send us back their old hub first ‐ at their cost)

2) Option: complete service including wheel re‐building.
Customer to package their wheel into 1 box (keep the tyre fitted to reduce damage):

a) Send back to Ison ‐ Ison will strip and re‐build with Plain Gauge (PG) spokes and return:
Total exchange hub and re‐build ‐ including PG spokes and return freight: £45.00 inc. VAT

b) Option for double butted (DB) spokes ‐ add £5.00 inc VAT

c) Option for Ison to arrange collection of wheel ‐ add £10.00 inc VAT

So… for example:
If customer has PG spoke wheel ‐ and cannot easily arrange strip and re‐build and return freight…
If they can put the wheel into a box… then we will arrange collection, strip, replacement hub, re‐build with PG
spokes and return freight.
Total including Tax: £55.00 GBP

Sounds good service to me :)

Re: SP Dyno Hubs Service Options from UK Distributor
« Reply #1 on: 28 November, 2019, 10:18:09 pm »
Just did this with my slightly graunchy PD-8. Returned in under a week. The replacement seems to be a brand new shell but there are some marks on the connector, so either it's been tested or it's got recycled internals.

Credit card statement shows "Townsend Cycles", which is pretty old school.

« Reply #2 on: 30 November, 2019, 11:28:17 am »
It would all be unnecessary if, like the Sturmey GH6, the electrical part (ie wiring)  was completely separate from the bearings  (as opposed to running the wires under the bearings,,,,,,)......

« Reply #3 on: 30 November, 2019, 12:01:52 pm »
I haven't seen the hub in real life but it seems the hub shell is made in 2 halves and is glued together, meaning you have to dismantle the wheel and separate the two halves to get at the bearings and other internal parts.

Why?

« Reply #4 on: 30 November, 2019, 01:23:37 pm »
I haven't seen the hub in real life but it seems the hub shell is made in 2 halves and is glued together, meaning you have to dismantle the wheel and separate the two halves to get at the bearings and other internal parts.

Why?

Weight savings and cost savings for the manufacturer; less material and less machining makes it a cheaper to manufacture the hub. The cost is of course severely reduced maintainability for the end user.

Personally I much prefer the Shimano design because it makes it possible for any home mechanic to service the dynamo hub with a minimum of tools and very little down time since it can be done in less than an hour.

(edit: typo)
--
Regards