Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144472 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #825 on: 12 November, 2020, 06:01:55 pm »
I was out an hour or so ago. Just traced my route on On the go map, and it comes out to my surprise fractionally over 10km. Don't suppose more than 9km was actually running though.

Has anyone got tips for not slipping on dead leaf much on top of wet concrete?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #826 on: 12 November, 2020, 06:30:14 pm »
I was out for 25 minutes - I did 5 minutes of faster jogging and then 5 minutes walking. I quite enjoyed it as I didn’t get so hot and sweaty but I did manage to go a bit faster in the jogging sections. Will try it again in two days.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #827 on: 12 November, 2020, 06:42:20 pm »
Went out at lunchtime on my old commute route, which is mostly off-road with rough woodland trails and a wee bit of climb.

My run to work was 8K, so I turned around at the half way point, for an 8K out-and-back to home.
That's about my comfortable limit right now.

My ankle seems to prefer the rougher terrain; more varied angles of articulation versus the constant repetition of flat roads.

« Reply #828 on: 12 November, 2020, 06:49:13 pm »
I ducked out for a 4k at lunchtime. Would have liked it have been quick, but I did my usual 'go out too fast and blow up'. So started at 4min pace (per km) then dropped off to about 5min 20.
Not getting faster yet, but I can do a short run and my legs are ok.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #829 on: 12 November, 2020, 07:05:23 pm »
I spend all day attempting to electrify my folding bike and only managed about a third of the job.

So no exercise whatsoever today apart from running up and down the stairs for tools and googling things.

But after three days in a row of a tough commute a rest day was probably a good idea.

Will try and run tomorrow depending on how long the rest of the conversion takes - I think I've done the worst bits now.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #830 on: 12 November, 2020, 07:10:48 pm »
Yes, before injury a 4 min pace was at the spicy end of what I could do, and even then only for 2 or perhaps 3k at a push.
I was always a fair way off a 20-min 5k.

I could do 4:30 for 5K, but that was pretty much my limit.
Beyond that, my natural 'loping along' pace seems to be about 5:30, and pushing on a bit for me means 5:00 over the 8 to 10k distance.

Post-injury, I've lost a lot of running fitness, and am going off too fast too.

« Reply #831 on: 13 November, 2020, 07:37:29 am »
Missed yesterday so had to get out today.  Only 4k as i had forgotten my gloves and had forgotten to empty my bowels which meant i got a fastest 1k record on the last sprint home. All completed, showered and coffee for 7.30

« Reply #832 on: 13 November, 2020, 08:14:55 am »
I’ve missed all week:(

« Reply #833 on: 13 November, 2020, 12:21:13 pm »
Wow!  That was very hard work.  The sun baked me and has lightly "pinked" my exposed arms, legs, face, ears and neck.  The wind and hills on my new route really bit hard and I needed to Jeff at 6k for a couple of minutes.  Managed to put another 4k in including a long, gradual hill which goes on for close to 1k. 

I was frustrated and despondent at 6k when I needed to Jeff but feel much more positive now.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #834 on: 13 November, 2020, 12:56:43 pm »
Jeff is always welcome because he only joins you when you are actually out there running.  :)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #835 on: 13 November, 2020, 01:48:24 pm »
Jeff is a very good friend.  I'd quite like to see less of him though!  😉

« Reply #836 on: 14 November, 2020, 05:24:57 pm »
Went for a purposefully-slow jog about lunchtime. Very strong wind (unlike when cycling, I find that, when running, headwinds slow me down but don't speed me up much when they are a tailwind). Rain, very slippery mud.

Did a measured slow 10km.

When I started this regular running malarky, a bit over 2 weeks ago, my resting pulse was 70, BP about 130/90

It is now about 60, BP 110/65
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Beardys running log - Ct5K
« Reply #837 on: 16 November, 2020, 10:41:37 am »
Cooler this morning.
8 an a bit k in an hour and 7 mins. A deliberately slower start kept Jeff at bay until 6½k which was quite nice and even then it was as the ground conditions as much as anything the required me to slow down. I’m definitely going to have to think about dropping the field running for the time being.

I’m also going to have to think about a second t-shirt. Although I don’t feel cold while I’m running as soon as I slow down I feel the chill and sitting here after my run I can tell my core temp is down.

Shower time

For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #838 on: 16 November, 2020, 10:52:31 am »
Similar 8.6 k this morning.

I find a pair of gloves makes a massive difference to core temperature maintenance

MUD!!!  I have 2 fields in particular which are basically a run through ankle deep mud for about 5 minutes.  I just see it as a chance to act like a child and get really muddy.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #839 on: 16 November, 2020, 11:21:55 am »
We have lots of clay hereabouts. One field I run across just builds up on my shoes until they weigh twice as much as I do, and is also very sot at the moment so is like running in porridge. The second field, and the on i Jeffed is hard packed and slick on the path proper; it’s also sloping in two directions. Even walking across it is treacherous.

:)

« Reply #840 on: 16 November, 2020, 12:18:25 pm »
Yesterday I went for a run at the end of the day, exploring a different way onto the downs which has a bit of flat by the river to warm up before some steepness. Quite a good plan, or it would have been if high tide and pouring rain hadn't made the path closer to a bog. 13.7km later I was home, streetlights were on, and the floor of the hall didn't show any traces of the mopping I'd done in the morning.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #841 on: 16 November, 2020, 12:55:11 pm »
I did 30 mins jogging so 3.5k. My average heart rate was down a bit which is maybe the first sign I am getting better at this!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #842 on: 16 November, 2020, 01:51:27 pm »
Excellent.

I did 8km this morning on local pavements.  That's my medium run this week.  Wednesday is a gentle 6km and then 12km on Friday. 

It felt like very hard work but my times were up there so I'm happy.

« Reply #843 on: 16 November, 2020, 04:57:16 pm »
Some of you might remember that I am working on trying to maintain a steady pace on my runs.  Over my 8km today I did a block of three consecutive kms on pace, two further ones a second below average pace and the variation from fastest to slowest was just 6 seconds.

I am very pleased with my progress at pacing but it's hard work.  Wbat pleases me more is that I don't use visual or audible pace assistance at all.  I just feel the pace and work to keep it.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #844 on: 17 November, 2020, 03:43:30 pm »
Getting back into things again slowly but surely.  5km this morning, still taking 45 minutes - my fastest ever is about 43.  Today I felt remarkably good, and my pacing seems to be improving, so I ran longer sections at a slower / better pace.  Still hitting max HR faster than I'd like, but I can maintain it for longer.  I think I'm learning.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #845 on: 17 November, 2020, 04:32:07 pm »
I was in virtual court this morning as an expert witness which i always find surges and then depletes my adrenaline levels.  Normally after a day in court I eat.  Today i made myself go for a run.  My Hr as i started was about 30 above resting just from the adrenaline so the whole run was at a high HR but i did 9.3 km at 7.44/km pace including warm and cool down.  And I did not stuff my face with carbs!!

A good day

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5K
« Reply #846 on: 17 November, 2020, 04:53:20 pm »
Cooler this morning.
8 an a bit k in an hour and 7 mins. A deliberately slower start kept Jeff at bay until 6½k which was quite nice and even then it was as the ground conditions as much as anything the required me to slow down. I’m definitely going to have to think about dropping the field running for the time being.

I’m also going to have to think about a second t-shirt. Although I don’t feel cold while I’m running as soon as I slow down I feel the chill and sitting here after my run I can tell my core temp is down.

Shower time

Sorry Beardy, I meant to reply to this earlier.

I bought a Camelbak hydration belt which has a small front pouch which is not fixed in place and a larger fixed pouch at the rear.  The rear pouch is meant for a 0.5l soft flask but I put a windshell in mine.  It will be handy for when I get cold but as yet carrying it seems to have staved off the issue.

As my start / end points are generally at least a 1km walk from home or a bus ride away the shell will be useful for the pre and post run elements of my sessions through the winter.  I'll probably be in long sleeves soon as well.

« Reply #847 on: 18 November, 2020, 08:47:17 am »
And as if to jinx myself, rain forecast for my run window.  Bah!

The weather doesn't seem to want to cooperate at the moment.  I'm looking at the corecastz and thinking tomorrow is a better day to fit in my 12k.   

I am trying to fit in three runs a week but at present commitments and rain are costing me a run so I'm juggling and losing the short run.  Not ideal but better than nothing.  I ought to do some yoga or pilates today to keep some flexibility.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #848 on: 18 November, 2020, 09:25:52 am »
I’m just trying to work up the motivation to get out. It’s looking ok weather wise at the moment so I’ve no excuse.

I’m undecided at this point on whether to do a shorter more intense run that will be difficult to regulate or intervals that will be easier to regulate but less fulfilling. This I decision is helping my procrastination so a proper plan would probably help.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #849 on: 18 November, 2020, 10:16:14 am »
Just finished work for the day (I worked 06:00-11:00 today) so going out for my run/walk intervals now. Bright sunshine in Germany but quite chilly.