Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 144366 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #850 on: 18 November, 2020, 06:46:30 pm »
Yesterday lunchtime I tried to push up the distance a bit, and did a hilly 14k loop based on the route of my running commute.

Longest run since I injured myself.
Deliberately dialled back the pace, but even so, it was the limit of what my ankle was prepared to put up with.
The loss of running fitness was apparent once the hills kicked in.

Still, no long lasting ill effects, and ankle is OK today.
Legs a bit heavy, and that showed during my swim session this morning.

A good result.

« Reply #851 on: 19 November, 2020, 09:34:04 am »
I take it that you are not in England being able to go for a swim session.

I could go for a "swim" in my running kit just now.   Mr MET Office has been a bit unreliable with his forecasts recently.  🙁

« Reply #852 on: 19 November, 2020, 10:10:29 am »
I take it that you are not in England being able to go for a swim session.

I could go for a "swim" in my running kit just now.   Mr MET Office has been a bit unreliable with his forecasts recently.  🙁
I had planned a run this morning but a poor nights sleep and the rain battering the window put me off.  Hopefully will get it done this evening in better weather

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #853 on: 19 November, 2020, 10:25:21 am »
I’m sat here in my running kit watching the rain come down again. It’s been off and on all morning so im beginning to think putting my kit on was rather optimistic. Maybe I should run up and down the stairs a few times.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #854 on: 19 November, 2020, 10:28:18 am »
I am about to start making the dough for baguettes.  This ties me to the house for the next three hours so I'll review the potential of a short run come mid to late afternoon.

I also have a round of quiz questions to prepare so that'll keep me occupied.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #855 on: 19 November, 2020, 11:15:11 am »
That was possibly the hardest run I’ve done to date and I’m now coughing horribly. Added; I wasn’t especially knackered when I first got in, but I’m now sweating and wasted. Go figure.

It was only 1.3k and at 7:10 m/Km not dreadfully fast, although it was faster than my usual 8+m/km plod. But I set of with determination and at 6m/km UP a bit of an incline. I basically just kept going as fast as I was able and nearly managed the whole loop without Jeff.

The ToJ isn’t happy though. Git.

I suppose I’ll have to keep doing that once a week to improve.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #856 on: 20 November, 2020, 08:19:48 am »
I am losing the fight with the weather this month.  I fear that my half marathon distance plan is unwinding for the second time.  It feels very depressing.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #857 on: 20 November, 2020, 08:48:16 am »
It’s really cold out there. When I finish work in just over an hour I plan to go out, but I will have to wrap up warm.

Polar Bear, give yourself a bit of a break. Have a nice hot cup of tea, then put on those running shoes and venture out.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #858 on: 20 November, 2020, 10:58:04 am »
Ah, I wish.

Cold I can manage without a problem.  In fact, cooler is better as far as I am concerned.  There will be limits, obviously. 

Rain is a completely different issue.  It's not that I mind getting wet but it's that I need shades even in relatively low light conditions.  I have the shades technology too* but what I cannot stop is rain on the lenses and fogging.  Not being able to see anything as oppose to just "almost nothing" is in fact quite an issue, unfortunately.

I was steeling myself for a run mid-afternoon but mr MET Office, the Republican election forecaster (at least he should be as he's equally erratic and unreliable at the moment), has decided that we will have rain for most of the day now.   

I have let myself get upset about what is nothing really and as a result have given myself a bit of a headache which only makes the light sensitivity worse.  Stupid bear.

🙁

*  Two pairs of Oakleys Transitions, one with light to mid lenses, the other mid to dark.  Used in conjunction with a cap I can manage my light sensitivity in most situations.

« Reply #859 on: 20 November, 2020, 11:04:34 am »
I haven't been out since the 8th but I have been cycling at least. I was going to go out this morning but the walk back from shopping was cooooold.

Going to go out after lunch when hopefully it will have warmed up a bit.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #860 on: 20 November, 2020, 12:23:49 pm »
PB, that must be truly difficult.  I remember the difficulty wearing glasses in the rain when I was very shortsighted.  I presume you have all the antifog type things and I know they do not really work.  Does a cap with a big peak help at all?

Hopefully we are getting into more settled weather and you can get back on track.

For myself, I set myself the task this week of running as many days as possible.  I ran 8k on sunday (with a 6k walk) then 8 on Monday, 9 on Tuesday, a very cold dark 8 last night and 8 again today with a ride on wednesday.  The legs are very tired today but it was all achievable and I think I can keep going tomorrow with a rest day on sunday.

That will make my most consistent week.  I have also been looking for some hills and suddenly this morning realised that I had a hill/bank alongside me as I was running which I could run up and down on soft springy grass.  So I hope to build in some hill repeats into my runs in the next couple of weeks.

All this is being done at a HR of ideally below 128 although last night for some reason it was spiking much higher.  This was with the Fenix which until now has been perfect.  However a HR of 155 should not allow me to sing and count easily out load and I am wondering if in the cold my skin circulation shuts down to an extent that the Fenix cannot read the flow accurately and locks to my strides per minute.  I will try with a chest strap tomorrow.

I have also realised that I need a new headlamp.  I have a Petzl Actik using duracell AAA.  This was bought about 18 months ago as an emergency commuting repair headlamp or nighttime pee light when camping.  It is not quite strong enough and the batteries do not really last long enough for running over boggy uneven ground with 62 year old eyes.  There are some of the Silva ones with belt mounted rechargeable batteries which look good but recommendations would be good.

« Reply #861 on: 20 November, 2020, 02:10:02 pm »
Wild Ginger Running on YouTube reviewed headtorches recently.  She is a trail runner so looks at equipment from that sort of perspective. 

I was looking into headtorches and discovered that you can now get waistband torches too.   Having two light sources would for me provide a better perspective on relief so I'll be delving into this.  It might make running in the dark possible.  I haven't yet seen reviews on waistband torches though.

Anti fogging products are more hype than reality ime.  Also, I don't really want to spray chemicals onto my already "coated" transition lenses as I have absolutely no idea what the outcome might be, and, the lenses are both not current and quite expensive to replace.

I have a head which is larger than average for cap manufacturers and finding suitable caps is difficult.  I do have a favourite with quite a large peak but wearing the cap 8n the rain seems to exaggerate the misting problems. 

What I really need is a headband with a large peak and a visor hanging a couple of centimetres away from my face but still protected from the rain.   That way my head would not overheat and I would still be able to see.  Not going to happen unless I make my own freakgadget.

At least it is raining so I am not frustrated that I had lunch an hour ago but I could have been running instead.

Feanor

« Reply #862 on: 20 November, 2020, 02:24:58 pm »
There are some of the Silva ones with belt mounted rechargeable batteries which look good but recommendations would be good.

Silva is what I'm using.

I have the battery pack mounted on the back of the headband, and it's fine there.
You can get extension cables I think, to carry the battery elsewhere, eg in a vest pocket.

It's a very good light; I used it for my winter commuting run which it totally off-road in the countryside, so in the pitch dark through rough forest trails etc.

« Reply #863 on: 20 November, 2020, 02:32:22 pm »
can I ask which one?

Feanor

« Reply #864 on: 21 November, 2020, 05:50:52 pm »
There's no model number written on it, so let me rummage in my purchase history...

It's a Trail Runner 4X.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silva-Trail-Runner-4X-Headlamp/dp/B07J5SFWK1/

<ETA>
I just found the box for it, and it comes with an extension cable.
It's got a coiled section in the middle.
Un-stretched, it's about 750mm long.
Fully stretched it's about 1100mm.

« Reply #865 on: 21 November, 2020, 07:19:04 pm »
Thank you.  Asked on your recommendation I have ordered the trail runner free.

Although today has been a BAD day. Slept late then busy trialling new kit in church then garden centre. ....  so no run. Diet gone to pot.
Good job there is a tomorrow.

« Reply #866 on: 21 November, 2020, 08:40:38 pm »
I am mulling over the Petzl Iko Core.   I'd prefer to be able to try one on first but I suspect that covid rather precludes that possibility.

« Reply #867 on: 22 November, 2020, 08:07:55 am »
Thanks to Amazon I got a first run in this morning. I really liked it. The combination of two light sources was really useful to give near and far vision without moving my head.
The single button was excellent and the double flash when you cycle from lowest back to highest takes all the guesswork out of it.
I cannot tell how good the little rear light is but my wife liked it and that is all that matters.

Not particularly heavy and a broadband with a silicon grip held well without feeling at all tight.
Mine came with a bigger rechargeable pack and wire both of which seem solid enough.

So far 10/10

« Reply #868 on: 22 November, 2020, 08:20:26 am »
It's always good to hear of first hand experiences.  👍

« Reply #869 on: 22 November, 2020, 03:56:14 pm »
Don't know what happened this morning. Usual Sunday morning 10k. I aim to do the 10 in under an hour. One hour seven minutes and thirty seconds.  :(
But it was a nice morning to be running and I saw several other runners (one of whom I knew) and quite a few cyclists (one of whom I knew) so I'm not going to fret too much.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #870 on: 23 November, 2020, 07:45:39 am »
It looks a bit chilly* out there, but the car is going in for an MOT which will leave me a convenient distance from home.

*lie: it looks f*&^ing freezing out there.

« Reply #871 on: 23 November, 2020, 08:20:45 am »
I'm hoping to get out for a trot around Draycote reservoir.   Chilly ain't the word ...

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #872 on: 23 November, 2020, 09:57:32 am »
It IS very cold. I put on my running jacket for the first time this season and didn’t even consider unzipping it even a little bit. And I also had my gloves on. Brrr.

Still, it was a good run, if a little short at 5.6k, and my pace was good at around 7:30, 7:50 including uncle Jeff’s contribution, though that was up the hill. Some funny fluctuations on the record in the last ½k which I’m sure don’t reflect my actual because they show me stopping. Most odd. Oh, and I managed to wear my ‘pod’ upside down so I haven’t got any pace dynamics for the run (spm, stride length, balance and the like; nothing really very useful)

A good start to the week. As I typed that the garage rang to inform my they want another £300 for,the car to pass it’s MOT.  >:(

« Reply #873 on: 23 November, 2020, 12:40:59 pm »
A chilly 7.6k around Draycote in under 50 minutes.  Saw Uncle Jeff briefly just after 6km but only for around 150 metres.

Very pleased with that one.  👍

« Reply #874 on: 23 November, 2020, 04:19:43 pm »
Very nice PB and beardy.
I wimped at 6.00 this morning, I was just too tired.  However decent day at work and home slightly early so I am off out after a coffee.