Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Log  (Read 425615 times)

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Log
« Reply #650 on: 22 January, 2012, 08:15:41 pm »
A DIY 200 through the Welsh Marches and my 1st RRTY is completed subject to vailidations. When I first took up audax "properly" RRTY seemed quite mad, but apart from the bits of the Brevet Cymru and BCM it wasn't THAT hard, I should perhaps give this lark up before it leads me any further astray ::-)

« Reply #651 on: 29 January, 2012, 08:42:19 am »
Halfway my first RRTY now (pending aproval from yesterdays DIY by Martin)

august: Paris-Brest
September: BRM 200 in Oostende
oktober: DIY 200 Maastricht-Roermond-Achelse Kluis-Sint-Truiden-Maastricht
november: DIY 200 Maastricht - Neuss-Holzheim - Kerpen - Maastricht
december: DIY 200: Maastricht - Zutphen
january: DIY 200: Maastricht - Namur - Tienen - Maastricht

I only need one DIY more for february, events starts from march overhere.
A question, I organise a 300 on the 8th of april but will be routechecking two weeks before, during the last weekend of march. Does that count for march or april?

« Reply #652 on: 29 January, 2012, 11:11:21 am »
A question, I organise a 300 on the 8th of april but will be routechecking two weeks before, during the last weekend of march. Does that count for march or april?

Hi Ivo.

I'm in a similar position for much of the spring. I've checked with Mike, and his reply was that the ride gets credited on the day it's ridden. Like yourself I'm routechecking - and exercising the organisers 'option' of riding the event before. So yes, your routecheck in March (for an April event) will count for your March ride.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #653 on: 29 January, 2012, 11:29:48 pm »
Well done, Martin!

« Reply #654 on: 30 January, 2012, 02:40:35 pm »

Hi Ivo.

I'm in a similar position for much of the spring. I've checked with Mike, and his reply was that the ride gets credited on the day it's ridden. Like yourself I'm routechecking - and exercising the organisers 'option' of riding the event before. So yes, your routecheck in March (for an April event) will count for your March ride.

:thumbsup: Thanks. Enough rides for the rest of april available to cover that ;).

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #655 on: 13 February, 2012, 11:13:46 am »
Saturday: Minus a few all day and long boats frozen in the Canal at Hanwell Wharf and ducks and swans walking on ice. Then minus a few more returning home from Bourton to Cheltenham. Miraculously, dry main roads (on my Cheltenham Vale 200 Perm) kept it a safe ride. Those are the vivid memories of achieving ride No 10 of my latest RRTY contender. Hopefully, the weather will warm and March will restore the pleasures of the all-year-round challenge, which for me should be the Cheltenham New Flyer 200.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #656 on: 19 February, 2012, 01:36:42 pm »
Done it! And so inspired by my achievement I've finally joined this forum. This is what it looked like:

1) Feb - Kennet Valley Run, GRAZELEY, S of Reading 207 (did someone mention the Boxford Alps?)
2) Mar - The Chiltern Hills Brevet, GREAT KINGSHILL, High Wycombe 206 (
3) Apr - Dorset Coast, WAREHAM 207 (fortunately, I now seem to remember the beauty not the pain)
3a) Apr - Plains 300, POYNTON, S of Stockport 310 (strictly speaking redundant in this context but my first 300 and I loved the bunch night riding)
4) May - Stonehenge 200, ELSTEAD, Godalming 201 (now what's the name of the cafe in Amesbury?)
5) Jun - Heart of the Shires, BITTESWELL, Leicestershire 206 (nice rolling shires) 
6) Jul - Barbary Bash, MILTON, Abingdon 210 (wettest ride of the year)     
7) Aug - West Bay and Back, WILTON, Salisbury 200 (lovely but got very reluctant climbing up Cranbourne Chase)
8 ) Sep - Weald of Kent 200, ASHFORD, Permanent (hmm, got lost and ended up on Ashford by pass, not nice)
9) Oct - Dick Turpins Day Out 200, GREAT DUNMOW, Permanent (very pretty, great permanent for North Londoners)   
10) Nov - Upper Thames, CHOLSEY, E of Didcot 214 (loved the fast ride home from the Cotswolds - thanks for the tow!)
11) Dec - South Bucks Winter Warmer, GREAT KINGSHILL, High Wycombe 207 (enjoyed the company, not so sure about the supermarket controls)   
12) Dick Turpins Day Out 200, GREAT DUNMOW, Permanent (did this 'just in case' the weather switched and I couldn't do the Willy Warmer; as it transpired came off my bike on this one and completed - felt so Audax - but wasn't tough enough to get on it again the following week!)

A big thank you to all those riders who encouraged me round, in particular on the Nov and Dec rides, and one Finsbury Park cyclist who put with a great deal of reluctance all year round! Will I do it again? Certainly not back-to-back as February is now beyond me I fear, but any inspiration for another 2012 challenge would be gratefully received.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #657 on: 19 February, 2012, 01:44:06 pm »
Welcome to the forum - and congratulations on a great achievement.  RRtY still remains one of the things I'm most proud of in the 18 months or so I've been riding audax - it was the first goal I set myself.

2012 challenge?  Does an SR fit into your plans?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #658 on: 19 February, 2012, 01:47:10 pm »
Well done Reluctant Cyclist!  You ask about challenges.  I'm looking forward to the day when I can start ZRTY, or zero round the year but it doesn't look like being any time soon!

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #659 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:25:41 pm »
Subject to verification of todays DIY 200 - that is 10 RRTY done.

Mrs FB foolishly asked " Does that mean you can stop now?"
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Chris S

« Reply #660 on: 21 February, 2012, 09:12:53 am »

Well Done! Are you going to get the badge?

« Reply #661 on: 21 February, 2012, 09:37:04 am »

Well Done Roger
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #662 on: 21 February, 2012, 02:02:45 pm »

Well Done! Are you going to get the badge?
there isnt one - just a piccie on the web site of those of us who have done this so far.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #663 on: 21 February, 2012, 02:53:37 pm »
I am delighted to announce that I have achieved my first after a DIY by GPS.

:thumbsup: Well done mmmmartin.
When I said "my first" I meant the first 200k ride in a year that I hope will lead to RRTY, not my first successful year of RRTY! I did quite well a year or so ago but the snow and ice of winter put the mockers on it.
I've now done my second 200k, another DIY by GPS. Only 10 months to go..........
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #664 on: 27 February, 2012, 11:56:29 am »
Done:
March 11 - Roses to Wrags 200k
April 11 - Everyone Rides to Skegness 300k
May 11 - Lincolnshire cross 200k
June 11 - Nottingham - Alfreton - Saundby - Lincoln - Nottingham DIY 200k
July 11 - Nottingham - Edinburgh via LEL2013 route DIY 600k
August 11 - Nottingham - Bourne - Luton DIY 200k
September 11- 400km DIY completed (and SR completed  )
October 11 - Beware of the plague 100km + 100km ECE
November 11 - To the Races 100km+100km ECE
December 11 - Nottingham - Bourne - Woodhall Spa - Lincoln - Nottingham DIY 200k
January 12 - Nottingham-Hinckley-Medbourne-Stamford-Nottingahm DIY200
February 12 - Rutland and Beyond 100km + 100km ECE  :facepalm:, but rescued with a quick (FaCV of quick) 200m DIY  :thumbsup:

So that's year one done then.

So far year 2's planning goes:
March 12 - The Dean
April 12 - Yr Ellenydd
May 12 - Brevet Cyrmu
June 12  - Mille Alba

Chris S

« Reply #665 on: 27 February, 2012, 12:09:11 pm »
June 12  - Mille Alba

Late-in-the-month 1000 for your June RRTY ride. Proper brinkmanship  :thumbsup:.

« Reply #666 on: 27 February, 2012, 12:31:00 pm »
Another one finished on Saturday, now taking time out to do other fun things.

« Reply #667 on: 04 March, 2012, 02:04:56 pm »
2012 challenge?  Does an SR fit into your plans?
Thinking about this. Planning to do Asparagus and Strawberries 400 but not sure about a 600 yet. Just done 100s for the past couple of weeks and rather enjoying having a whole half day off the bike to play with afterwards!

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #668 on: 10 March, 2012, 07:56:11 pm »
4/11 3down 300
5/11 Beast from the East 600
6/11 Reservoir AUKs 200
7/11 Hereward the Wake 300
8/11 DIY 200
9/11 Shaftesbury CC 200
10/11 Beyond Shropshire 200
11/11 Upper Thames 200
12/11 South Bucks Winter Warmer 200
1/12 Poor Student 200
2/12 Burford Bumble 200
3/12 Up the Uts 200 (...pending validation)
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #669 on: 10 March, 2012, 08:48:58 pm »
Done it! And so inspired by my achievement I've finally joined this forum. This is what it looked like:

1) Feb - Kennet Valley Run, GRAZELEY, S of Reading 207 (did someone mention the Boxford Alps?)
3) Apr - Dorset Coast, WAREHAM 207 (fortunately, I now seem to remember the beauty not the pain)
3a) Apr - Plains 300, POYNTON, S of Stockport 310 (strictly speaking redundant in this context but my first 300 and I loved the bunch night riding)
4) May - Stonehenge 200, ELSTEAD, Godalming 201 (now what's the name of the cafe in Amesbury?)
5) Jun - Heart of the Shires, BITTESWELL, Leicestershire 206 (nice rolling shires) 
7) Aug - West Bay and Back, WILTON, Salisbury 200 (lovely but got very reluctant climbing up Cranbourne Chase)
8 ) Sep - Weald of Kent 200, ASHFORD, Permanent (hmm, got lost and ended up on Ashford by pass, not nice)
9) Oct - Dick Turpins Day Out 200, GREAT DUNMOW, Permanent (very pretty, great permanent for North Londoners)   
10) Nov - Upper Thames, CHOLSEY, E of Didcot 214 (loved the fast ride home from the Cotswolds - thanks for the tow!)
11) Dec - South Bucks Winter Warmer, GREAT KINGSHILL, High Wycombe 207 (enjoyed the company, not so sure about the supermarket controls)   
12) Dick Turpins Day Out 200, GREAT DUNMOW, Permanent (did this 'just in case' the weather switched and I couldn't do the Willy Warmer; as it transpired came off my bike on this one and completed - felt so Audax - but wasn't tough enough to get on it again the following week!)

A big thank you to all those riders who encouraged me round, in particular on the Nov and Dec rides, and one Finsbury Park cyclist who put with a great deal of reluctance all year round! Will I do it again? Certainly not back-to-back as February is now beyond me I fear, but any inspiration for another 2012 challenge would be gratefully received.

congratulations,I hope to join you in the elite club of RRTY finishers in October. 4 done 8 to go but its by no means a foregone conclusion.

Thought I would fail in the second month on the `Monmouth Meander due to a cough and a cold on the day but Rob "Bairdy" from Bristol dragged me around despite also being unwell. We coughed and spat nasty stuff onto the tarmac together all the way round. :-)

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #670 on: 11 March, 2012, 08:33:46 am »

congratulations,I hope to join you in the elite club of RRTY finishers in October. 4 done 8 to go but its by no means a foregone conclusion.

Thought I would fail in the second month on the `Monmouth Meander due to a cough and a cold on the day but Rob "Bairdy" from Bristol dragged me around despite also being unwell. We coughed and spat nasty stuff onto the tarmac together all the way round. :-)

Hey Banjo,
I thought you dragged me? I think you will be on Tuesday. Just set off to do a 100k warm up and got less than 100 meters.
My freewheel is not freewheeling! It's was rumbling a bit last time it went out but LBS man said it would be O.K.
It looks like I'll be on my Hybrid which is somewhat heavier.  :(
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #671 on: 11 March, 2012, 09:04:08 am »
Dec - DIY200
Jan - Willy Warmer 200
Feb - Kennet Valley Run 200
Mar - Man of Kent 200
Apr - Double Dutch 200

May - Beaches and Beyond 1000?
Jun - AUK National 400?
Jul - Three Coasts 600?
Aug - Neville Chanin Memorial 200?
Sep - New Forest On and Off Shore 200?
Oct - Silly Suffolk 200?
Nov - Transporter 200?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #672 on: 11 March, 2012, 11:26:58 am »
Would 12 Perms be acceptable?

apologies if this question has been asked before/elsewhere

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #673 on: 11 March, 2012, 11:30:26 am »
Yes. RRTY is more forgiving than AUK in general but AUK makes no distinction between calendar events and perms, except for a couple of competitions.

http://www.highergrangefarm.fsnet.co.uk/PeakAudax/rrtyfaqs.htm
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #674 on: 11 March, 2012, 11:33:21 am »
Thanks for that :thumbsup:

I do have the Peak Audax website bookmarked but failed to check there before asking here :-[

IIRC I have a couple of unused Perm cards in my desk drawer.I'll have a rummage.