Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Log  (Read 422350 times)

Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Log
« Reply #975 on: 19 August, 2013, 03:59:21 pm »
One month left for me to complete, and six months into a parallel RRTY.

New Forest On and Offshore next week should do it, Flatlands, Chris Negus and Rosies to Wrags are my bonus rides for September. 

Hillbilly

« Reply #976 on: 19 August, 2013, 04:06:03 pm »
Thought I had just completed my RRtY  and my AAARRtY but I have another month to go ....

...until you start the next set.

We've all been there.  I was thinking that it stops when parts of your body begin to give out, but Steve Poulton gives lie to that.  We are all in this until we are interred in our caskets, I'm afraid.

I hope Mike Wigley is proud of the monster he unleashed unto the world.

« Reply #977 on: 19 August, 2013, 06:51:35 pm »
^ha ha, yup
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

« Reply #978 on: 19 August, 2013, 07:37:54 pm »

Yup indeed!

(And I've managed a ride [in fact two rides] for this month... attempting to prove that I'm still not in a casket.)

Mike does have every reason to be proud of his RRTY work! Ongoing thanks to him (of course).

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #979 on: 19 August, 2013, 07:47:05 pm »
Thanks?  Mike deserves nothing but scorn. Getting poor young(ish) stupid(very) randonneurs hooked onto his drug-like scheme, forcing them out into the misery of winter rides, causing undue stress as the month ticks into it's dying days and you've still not got a 200 in.

Horrible man with his hateful treadmill.

;)
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #980 on: 19 August, 2013, 08:26:19 pm »
the misery of winter rides, causing undue stress as the month ticks into it's dying days and you've still not got a 200 in
Completely agree. My RRTY year finished yesterday with The Weald Of Kent, a cracking ride.  I saved the brevet for my final ride. This winter has been horrible. Ice, wind, rain, a real test of audacity. Now I am concentrating on getting my speed up. No more 3am alarms and heading out into freezing rain and an icy headwind. Ho no.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #981 on: 20 August, 2013, 01:06:42 am »
the misery of winter rides, causing undue stress as the month ticks into it's dying days and you've still not got a 200 in
Completely agree. My RRTY year finished yesterday with The Weald Of Kent, a cracking ride.  .
Well done Martin.
One more to go for me;D

« Reply #982 on: 23 August, 2013, 12:12:32 pm »
I only started in March, and my last one (Buzzard 600) was in July. I've heard LEL will count towards RRTY, but no-one else has mentioned it, and anyway, would it be classed as a July ride if it does count? I've done nothing since. Was gonna go to Mildenhall for the weekend, but felt I should be at home.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #983 on: 23 August, 2013, 12:25:11 pm »
I only started in March, and my last one (Buzzard 600) was in July. I've heard LEL will count towards RRTY, but no-one else has mentioned it, and anyway, would it be classed as a July ride if it does count? I've done nothing since. Was gonna go to Mildenhall for the weekend, but felt I should be at home.

Did you ride 200k or more of LEL during August? & can you prove it.

If so I believe it will count for your August ride.  There's a thread about it on here (I'll find it).

Found it: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=65074.0

Read this: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=65074.msg1350805#msg1350805
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #984 on: 23 August, 2013, 12:40:03 pm »
Thanks Fungus. I didn't get any receipts during the whole of LEL. Not had the brevet card back yet either. Might have to force myself to do a diy before the end of next week, or sneak off to Mildenhall (80 miles away).

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #985 on: 23 August, 2013, 12:58:51 pm »
I think I'll join in on this thread as it gives me a way of tracking mine (and others' progress) :)

I planned an RRTY more or less from the time I did the Gospel Pass 150 in Feb and realised that as a BP it feks things up.  I wanted to start with The Dean in March but since it threw a biblical snowstorm at us that is my one and only DNS so far.

So from April...

April 13 - Two Battles 200 (Tamworth)  :thumbsup:
May 13 - Cambrian Series 3A perm (300)  :thumbsup:
June 13 - The National 400 (Tiverton)  :thumbsup:
July 13 - The Buzzard 600 (Leighton Buzzard -  SR yay)  :thumbsup:
August 13 - Dr Foster's Summer Saunter (Cardiff)  :thumbsup:

Seems such a short pathetic looking list looking at it  :-\

Planned -
Sept 13 - Wem We Get There 200 (Tamworth) and The Border Castle Randonnee (Chepstow)
October 13 - Gower Getter 200 - (Cardiff)
Nov 13  - Transporter 200 Cardiff  (now I've got the SR out of the way - experience all the local rides is my plan)
December 13 -  Monmouthshire Meander 200 (Cardiff)
January 14 - Dr Foster's Winter Warmer 200 (Cardiff)
Feb 14 - Not sure yet... I think The Malmesbury Mash (Cardiff) assuming it's still running...
March 14 - The Dean (Oxford - unfinished business)
Twill then be done :-) and then on, and on, and Ariston...
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

mikewigley

« Reply #986 on: 23 August, 2013, 02:06:01 pm »
Thanks Fungus. I didn't get any receipts during the whole of LEL. Not had the brevet card back yet either. Might have to force myself to do a diy before the end of next week, or sneak off to Mildenhall (80 miles away).

I wouldn't expect you to see your brevet card for some while yet.  But if you PM me your rider number I could look you up on the rider tracking site and see if you did enough kilometres to consider it an August ride.  It doesn't seem to recognise Bikeabilityman

Mike

mikewigley

« Reply #987 on: 24 August, 2013, 05:14:19 pm »
It's a hard game this Audaxing.  I've just had a query from someone who was DNF on LEL, but could I count the 335km completed at Randonneur pace before the DNF.  My understanding is that the answer is no.  Similarly, I wouldn't count a 300km ride abandoned after only 200km.   Am I being too hard here?

Mike

« Reply #988 on: 24 August, 2013, 05:18:30 pm »

If you relaxed the rules on that sort of thing, the world would end things would become awkwardly indefinite. Probably.

Hillbilly

« Reply #989 on: 24 August, 2013, 05:28:57 pm »
Did they take a wrong turn on LEL?

[img height=200 width=200]http://st.depositphotos.com/1048238/1339/i/950/depositphotos_13391295-Failure-or-success-concept..jpg[/img]

More prosaically, I was under the impression the award was for completing audax events of 200km or more in 12 consecutive months.  They didn't complete an event, ergo, they shouldn't be eligible for RRTY.

So you are not harsh.  Rather a paragon of virtue.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #990 on: 24 August, 2013, 06:11:18 pm »
No! you have to finish the ride "whatever distance it is" for it to count.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #991 on: 25 August, 2013, 11:51:31 pm »
I only realised today I finished LEL on 1st August. Looking at the rider tracking, I clocked in at Kirton (1218km) at 11pm on 31st. I usually spent an hour or so at each control (30 mins to eat, and at least that to rest, digest and get ready for the next leg). If I could prove I left there after midnight, then the final 200km could count for August RRTY. I should try and do a 200km perm by next Saturday to be certain.

Phil W

« Reply #992 on: 26 August, 2013, 12:33:54 am »
Oh dear. I've realised that I've done audax rides over 200km every month since April, apart from this month. Can you do a 200km ride as a GPS DIY to qualify for this?  I've got tomoorrow to work out the route and next Saturday to do it if so, and who is the SE DIY organiser? I'm getting sucked in to the drug addiction...

« Reply #993 on: 26 August, 2013, 12:36:55 am »
I thought the month of the start date was the one it fell into or am I wrong?  Otherwise LEL could count for both July and August rrty assuming you were successful?

I also thought a start date had to be nominated before you start a ride (it is with DIY by GPS) so that DNS and DNF can be officially recorded rather than just doing a ride and then deciding you want it to be validated after.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #994 on: 26 August, 2013, 12:39:31 am »
Oh dear. I've realised that I've done audax rides over 200km every month since April, apart from this month. Can you do a 200km ride as a GPS DIY to qualify for this?  I've got tomoorrow to work out the route and next Saturday to do it if so, and who is the SE DIY organiser? I'm getting sucked in to the drug addiction...

Yes you can. Paul Stewart (Manotea?) is SE organiser. Just go via the Audax UK site DIYs pages.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #995 on: 26 August, 2013, 07:53:32 am »

Totally.

April is a good time to start, by the time you hit the hard months of winter, you are so committed, you can't fail.

As bunker says, manotea and entries via the auk website. All very efficient and good.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #996 on: 26 August, 2013, 10:16:03 am »
Just to mention: the excellent Manotea has a big workload, and three other DIY organisers can deal with your DIY by GPS entries (their work isn't restricted to particular regions). See the AUK website, DIYs - DIY by GPS.

I've a personal involvement, but am not trying to steal riders!

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #997 on: 26 August, 2013, 10:26:31 am »
It's a hard game this Audaxing.  I've just had a query from someone who was DNF on LEL, but could I count the 335km completed at Randonneur pace before the DNF.  My understanding is that the answer is no.  Similarly, I wouldn't count a 300km ride abandoned after only 200km.   Am I being too hard here?

Mike

Absolutely not -you have to define the ride and then do it. The ride was LEL and he/she did not do it.

Compare with this years Arrow - ChrisS and Boab were snow stormed at over 300kms - having defined a 400kms ride. had to abandon and that was the 4 points lost - BUT they could not claim 3 points for the 300 either.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Hillbilly

« Reply #998 on: 26 August, 2013, 10:40:01 am »
The only mitigating factor is that this is not an official AUK award, so the organiser can do what they want with his rules (such as redefine what a month means when there is snow...) 

But I think that many people would be surprised if a RRTY award were granted in the event of starting but not completing an individual event, and it runs the risk of a little bit of the respect in the award being chipped away.

Chris S

« Reply #999 on: 26 August, 2013, 11:17:41 am »
If the ride doesnt qualify for AUK validation, then it certainly shouldn't for any other award.