Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Log  (Read 425580 times)

LEE

Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Log
« Reply #225 on: 17 January, 2010, 08:06:12 pm »
I'm awaiting my perm Brevet cards for the Hampshire-based "Taste of the Test 200" and "Anoraks Delight 200".

Then it's a matter of getting a suitable weekend, free from snow and ice, and I'm off. 
Next weekend is still suffering from mixed weather predictions.  6degC and heavy rain doesn't sound appealing for 11 hours.  We'll see.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #226 on: 17 January, 2010, 08:14:55 pm »

You are awesome
:

No - just  lacking the sane gene
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #227 on: 17 January, 2010, 08:54:55 pm »
Today in the Cotswolds has been a great day for a Jan ride.  Just home from my Banbury Cross 200.  Ice early on unprepared roads left a couple of vehicles off the verge victims of black ice that had not melted/cleared.  Had to avoid Willersley Hill, when I started it with a touch of wheel spin, I realised it was slippery and that was ice.  Fortunately a main-ish road diversion only meant +4km. Rest of route clear and very sunny.  So that is my Yr11/8 in the bag.  Great visions of flooded fields, especially Cricklade (R Thames); pity it was too dark for photy.

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Steve Snook

« Reply #228 on: 17 January, 2010, 09:53:56 pm »
Today in the Cotswolds has been a great day for a Jan ride.  Just home from my Banbury Cross 200.  Ice early on unprepared roads left a couple of vehicles off the verge victims of black ice that had not melted/cleared. 

SteveP

Today has been the first day here for a while without fresh snow or ice. Roads which were impassable a couple of days ago are now clear, but the closed sign was still lit up on the road over Oxenhope Moor to Hebden Bridge. Maybe with it being the weekend there were no council workmen around to change it.

Steve

DanialW

« Reply #229 on: 18 January, 2010, 10:04:50 am »
My partner's mom, who turns out to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of high road closures, tells me they only opened Snake Pass on Saturday afternoon.

« Reply #230 on: 18 January, 2010, 11:23:22 am »
I think I heard on the radio yesterday that it's now closed due to a rock fall - for 3 weeks

edit - from BBC Travel
 A57 Snake Pass  Glossop closed
both ways between Hurst Road and A6013    
A57 Derbyshire - Snake Pass closed both ways due to snow between Hurst Road and Ladybower Reservoir , in Glossop

Last updated: 18th January 2010 at 10:31, started: 17th January 2010

« Reply #231 on: 18 January, 2010, 11:24:50 am »
I just heard today that it's closed along with the Holme Moss road.

« Reply #232 on: 18 January, 2010, 11:37:20 am »
If anyone is looking to a weather window to undertake their January RRTY, look forward to this Saturday.  The Metoffice have said the following in one of their medium term forecasts:

Drier and brighter on Saturday with a risk of overnight frost and ice, especially in the north. Temperatures mostly near normal but locally rather cold in the north. From Sunday (24th) and into next week it looks likely to remain mostly unsettled and windy at times with spells of rain, turning to snow at times over northern hills.

If correct, I will be riding either the Winter Solstice or Cheltenham Old Clee Flyer perms.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #233 on: 18 January, 2010, 11:44:54 am »
"Ice, especially in the north" doesn't sound too good ! nor does "locally rather cold in the north" - whatever that means.

I hope to do the dullest DIY 200 possible, out and back (old) A1 most of the way

« Reply #234 on: 18 January, 2010, 12:53:36 pm »
Managed to do a Perm, in Beds, Cambs, Herts, Bucks and North' yesterday.  It was quite a mild day, still a few lanes with snow.  The biggest problem was flooded lanes.  I have to avoid two that were unpassable i.e. Car sumerged up to windows.  One I cycled through for 250 yards and 2" deep in places.  This all routed me round all over the place and the overall distance came about 250 km which I could done without this time of year.  Another one of those rides that was better once you home and have you tea  ;D

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #235 on: 18 January, 2010, 04:11:50 pm »
Yes, a couple of years ago I was BB deep in a 'flooded by R Severn' road and last year axle deep on my Trike under a lowered road under a Railway Br.  Both ended in wet feet.  First ride I was only 15km from home, second 15km into 200km.  Route selection for the next few weeks will need to think about lying water or flooding Rivers.

If you are immersed, do not forget the potential for water damage to bike bits.

SteveP
SteveP

mikewigley

« Reply #236 on: 19 January, 2010, 11:31:01 am »
"Ice, especially in the north" doesn't sound too good !

There I was, out on Sunday in glorious cycling weather thinking that perhaps a January Randonnee wasn't such a difficult proposition after all.  But there's more bad stuff to come yet apparently, and some of our Pennine passes are still dodgy, if in fact open.  I understand that a RRTYx4 rider has still to retrieve his car from a snow drift above Hebden Bridge where it's been since Christmas.  (No names, no grid reference, just in case some opportunist car thief lurks here!)

I've just learned that John Radford managed to find some ice on Sunday and has fractured a femur.  I'm meeting up with the Huddersfield CTC riders tonight so no doubt I'll get the full picture there.

By all means ride your January Randonnees in January but just take care out there.

« Reply #237 on: 22 January, 2010, 09:03:43 am »
Question for Mike Wigley:

Goodbye Xmas Yorkie Pud is rescheduled for a date in February, if I extend it to 200km using the ECE, can I use it to claim a February ride  for RRTY ?

mikewigley

« Reply #238 on: 22 January, 2010, 12:18:31 pm »
Question for Mike Wigley:

Goodbye Xmas Yorkie Pud is rescheduled for a date in February, if I extend it to 200km using the ECE, can I use it to claim a February ride  for RRTY ?

Yes

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #239 on: 24 January, 2010, 11:58:06 am »
So this is it! Tandoneer Round the Year #1 completed.

Feb - Kennett Valley Run
Mar - Invicta 200
Apr - Invicta 300
May - Invicta 400
Jun - Invicta 600
Jul - Ring of Harts
Aug - West bay & back
Sep - Alan Furley's Up the Downs
Oct - Anfractuous
Nov - Upper Thames
Dec - South Bucks Winter Warmer

Jan - The Poor Student Willy Warmer

;D ;D

We should take Feb off. Only the Kennet Valley Run has online entry this year. I just clicked the button.........  ;)

« Reply #240 on: 24 January, 2010, 03:41:25 pm »
Congratulations!!!

mikewigley

« Reply #241 on: 25 January, 2010, 12:48:23 pm »

Just let me know who you are (PM) and I'll and you to the list.  Well done

I managed to do the Mere 200 yesterday so that's my January ride completed in January

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #242 on: 25 January, 2010, 06:02:02 pm »
Mike:

How many others have done it on tandems?

[and what do the cruciform icons mean on your list?!?]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #243 on: 25 January, 2010, 09:01:28 pm »
Talking of Tandems.....one of the 'fun' aspects of RRTY is way you can personalise it as an extra challenge.  Mike mentions several schemes on the Peak Audax website.

After conventional solo RRTYs I picked off a Trike round in 2006, a MTB (with slicks) in 2008, 2 Trike rounds in 2008/9, a third solo/trike round in 2008/9, an event 'Thames and Avon 200' round in 2009. This year I might pick off an AAARRTY (with the opportunity of an event round with my 'Stroud 5 Valleys 50km' 1AAA).  I cannot see me doing a Tandem or Fixie round though.  The consecutive challenge is probably the hardest mentally, as it relies on so many factors; I do not know who holds the 'record' but my series runs from Jul 03 to Jan 10 and still going.

SteveP
SteveP

mikewigley

« Reply #244 on: 25 January, 2010, 09:05:47 pm »
Mike:

How many others have done it on tandems?

[and what do the cruciform icons mean on your list?!?]

Tandem?  I'm not sure.  I've got several identical claims but can't be certain how many machines have been involved. 

And the daggers are clickable links to the odd foot note.  I like the term tandoneer round the year and I feel another foot note coming on.  (I might spell it tandonneur)

mikewigley

« Reply #245 on: 25 January, 2010, 09:06:11 pm »
Talking of Tandems.....one of the 'fun' aspects of RRTY is way you can personalise it as an extra challenge.  Mike mentions several schemes on the Peak Audax website.

After conventional solo RRTYs I picked off a Trike round in 2006, a MTB (with slicks) in 2008, 2 Trike rounds in 2008/9, a third solo/trike round in 2008/9, an event 'Thames and Avon 200' round in 2009. This year I might pick off an AAARRTY (with the opportunity of an event round with my 'Stroud 5 Valleys 50km' 1AAA).  I cannot see me doing a Tandem or Fixie round though.  The consecutive challenge is probably the hardest mentally, as it relies on so many factors; I do not know who holds the 'record' but my series runs from Jul 03 to Jan 10 and still going.

SteveP

Now there's another challenge, Randonneur Round the Bike Shed, for 12 BRs in consecutive months, on 12 different cycles

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #246 on: 25 January, 2010, 09:18:45 pm »
Now there's another challenge, Randonneur Round the Bike Shed, for 12 BRs in consecutive months, on 12 different cycles

Don't tempt me.  Emily would not be impressed...
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #247 on: 26 January, 2010, 12:07:12 am »
A fellow Audaxer on the Willy Warmer stated that due to the bad weather in January it was going to be declared a 61 day month. Therefore a ride in February could be counted as a January. This information was coming out in the next Arrivee. Does anyone know whether this is actually the case?
O'LEL what have I done!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #248 on: 26 January, 2010, 06:37:05 am »
A fellow Audaxer on the Willy Warmer stated that due to the bad weather in January it was going to be declared a 61 day month. Therefore a ride in February could be counted as a January. This information was coming out in the next Arrivee. Does anyone know whether this is actually the case?

From earlier in this thread Round The Year Randonneurs Log
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mikewigley

« Reply #249 on: 26 January, 2010, 09:04:40 am »

From earlier in this thread Round The Year Randonneurs Log

and see www.tinyurl.com/PeakAudaxRRTY