Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Log  (Read 422478 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Log
« Reply #475 on: 04 December, 2010, 10:36:01 pm »
Cheers guys.

I guess it's now back to square ride one......
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #476 on: 05 December, 2010, 03:11:02 am »
A stonkingly hot day here on Sat - tar melting on the road and continuous all day sun. had to keep soaking a little cap that goes under helmet to try to keep head cool. Completed the second Dec 200 (Drouin to Cape paterson) so as to avoid any possibility of RRTY 6 and 7 coming to grief in UK Dec weather. We come back leaving very late Tuesday night - and I am hoping to ride an ECE Nips 2 on Sat. Will study weather contrast with interest on Thursday !!
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #477 on: 05 December, 2010, 08:04:31 am »
Cheers guys.

I guess it's now back to square ride one......

Just make sure it is ride one and not no thirteen, that way lies addiction.   ;)

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #478 on: 05 December, 2010, 06:12:38 pm »
A chink in the weather!

I'm off out for a main road bash to bank this month's 200 before the snows return. The forecast for the rest of the month is dire - and lo-and-behold, the temperature has been above zero for almost 12 hours now. This is as good as it gets I think.

Arse  >:(. DNF after 110km. Confucius he says "Man who gives blood on Thursday, shouldn't try a freezing cold randonnee on Saturday."
Wise words ... bad luck, and well done for avoiding any serious mishap.

(However, you've robbed me of the chance of a good dig:
Typical East Anglian ride - they can start a 200 at noon and expect to finish in daylight.
;) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #479 on: 06 December, 2010, 02:05:12 pm »
Just thought I would report completion of RRTY No 12.  Not that I made it easy, choosing to ride my Gospel Pass 200 Perm before darkness and winter really take over.  Well, I found a little chink in the unseasonal weather but still found that Trike was the only way to travel. Nearly 14 1/2 hrs, just to take it to the event time limit and 6hrs on lights.

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Chris S

« Reply #480 on: 07 December, 2010, 09:54:45 pm »
I may have met my limit.

I am on 47 months. I'm down to do an ECE 200 of the Nips 2 from Norwich this weekend, and despite my body succumbing to at least one of the various lurgies around, I'll give it my best shot to make a nice round four years.

Then I'm probably calling it a day. I've had enough of winter audax. It hurts, has too much impact on other things, and carries a higher risk that probably isn't justified in what is, after all, just a hobby.

So. January 2011 could be the first Randonnee free zone for me, in a long time. And if I'm too lurgied to ride this weekend, and the weather/Real Lifetm defeats me for the rest of the month, then there's something poetic about bowing out on 47 months.

« Reply #481 on: 07 December, 2010, 10:08:04 pm »
I may have met my limit.

I am on 47 months. I'm down to do an ECE 200 of the Nips 2 from Norwich this weekend, and despite my body succumbing to at least one of the various lurgies around, I'll give it my best shot to make a nice round four years.

Then I'm probably calling it a day. I've had enough of winter audax. It hurts, has too much impact on other things, and carries a higher risk that probably isn't justified in what is, after all, just a hobby.

So. January 2011 could be the first Randonnee free zone for me, in a long time. And if I'm too lurgied to ride this weekend, and the weather/Real Lifetm defeats me for the rest of the month, then there's something poetic about bowing out on 47 months.
Good luck! But don't beat yourself up if it doesn't happen. 47 months is, after all, a truly fantastic achievement - and going for a bike ride is supposed to be fun  :thumbsup: not a trial of endurance! Been there, done that and got the T-shirt
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #482 on: 08 December, 2010, 12:02:18 am »
Been there, done that and got the T-shirt

Where did you get the T-Shirt?  My consec is currently 7y6m, so is that XL.
SteveP
SteveP

αdαmsκι

« Reply #483 on: 11 December, 2010, 10:56:57 pm »
Well done, that is quite an achievement. Now make sure you don't do a 200 in January!
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #484 on: 12 December, 2010, 10:11:59 am »
Well done, that is quite an achievement. Now make sure you don't do a 200 in January!
+1  :thumbsup:
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #485 on: 12 December, 2010, 05:00:34 pm »
12 10 - S Bucks Winter Warmer  :thumbsup:   Kings, Castles etc  :thumbsup:

So that's
2010    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

+1 !

And that's me done. My 2007 set was fairly incident-free, but 2010 has been bookended by icy rides, and although I only fell off  on the Jan ride, it takes the fun out for me. It seems daft to be balancing health-vs-RRTY (and I can't be arsed to ride solo DIY 200s when the magical weather windows appear).

This game takes a particular kind of audacity, which I'm not sure I possess enough of - I'll leave it you proper audaxers!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Chris S

« Reply #486 on: 12 December, 2010, 11:42:17 pm »

...blah blah... Gonna do the Nips 2 ECE 200...

...Then I'm probably calling it a day. I've had enough of winter audax. It hurts, has too much impact on other things, and carries a higher risk that probably isn't justified in what is, after all, just a hobby.

Drat. I have inadvertently entered the Nips 3 (ECE 200) in January and Old Squit 200 in February.

Damn the wine. There's no getting off this train is there?

I've had a stern word with myself. From now on, I'm not going to move the furniture around in order to frantically "get a ride in, come what may". If it works out - fine, if it dies, so be it. From here on - the RRTY is expendable.

There - that's me compromising, that is...

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #487 on: 13 December, 2010, 02:06:41 am »
So that's
2010    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi Phil - Notice 3 of my rides in your Double up.  Thanks and I hope you enjoyed them.

I have been out today (13-8) and have completed my Dec campaign having ridden last weekend (12-12) too.

With today's ride that gives me Double 2008, TRIPLE 2009, Double 2010

SteveP
SteveP

« Reply #488 on: 13 December, 2010, 11:25:20 am »
My plan for a DIY this weekend is fast changing from ice-dodging to ill-concieved.

Hopefully there might be a few more degrees for Friday.

Mind you, I haven't heard back from Mr. Forrest about my proposed route. Is he about or has he migrated to warmer climes on the grubby proceeds of being an organiser?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #489 on: 13 December, 2010, 01:03:53 pm »
He was riding a (possibly icy) 200 to Newbury on Sunday. I don't think Newbury has a much warmer clime ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

simonp

« Reply #490 on: 13 December, 2010, 01:30:40 pm »

...blah blah... Gonna do the Nips 2 ECE 200...

...Then I'm probably calling it a day. I've had enough of winter audax. It hurts, has too much impact on other things, and carries a higher risk that probably isn't justified in what is, after all, just a hobby.

Drat. I have inadvertently entered the Nips 3 (ECE 200) in January and Old Squit 200 in February.

Damn the wine. There's no getting off this train is there?

I've had a stern word with myself. From now on, I'm not going to move the furniture around in order to frantically "get a ride in, come what may". If it works out - fine, if it dies, so be it. From here on - the RRTY is expendable.

There - that's me compromising, that is...

There's nothing wrong with a January 200k if the weather's good.

I rode the Poor Student on 40km of sheet ice at the start, but luckily it had all melted after that, and I didn't hit any shady patches later on that were icy, and it didn't get all that cold after dark (I'd been considering packing) so it stayed ice-free to the finish.

This time, if it's icy, I think I'll give it a miss.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #491 on: 09 January, 2011, 09:58:08 pm »
I do get in a muddle when I have a double series going with different start dates!!

Anyway - I think subject to validation ( from Oz and UK) that todays 200 completes number 6.
7 is rather over half done

and 8  starts again in Feb

LEE

« Reply #492 on: 13 February, 2011, 10:44:55 am »
2010  :thumbsup:
2011 - 5/12
Oct - Denmead - WYLYE AND EBBLE VALLEY
Nov - ANORAKS DELIGHT 200 PERM
Dec - Denmead - Newbury 200 perm
Jan - Poor Student 200
Feb - ANORAKS DELIGHT 200 PERM

..and a  fantastic day it was yesterday, my first all-daylight Audax for some months, just finishing in the last light of the day.  It makes such a big difference not to spend the last few hours picking my way around potholes in the dark.  Some lovely views from the South Downs and Porton Down on a sunny day in Feb.  I definitely got very lucky with the weather.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #493 on: 13 February, 2011, 05:35:00 pm »
Ding ding!! Round two.

Feb: Rutland & Beyond 100 + ECE100

Chris S

« Reply #494 on: 13 February, 2011, 07:51:26 pm »
It makes such a big difference not to spend the last few hours picking my way around potholes in the dark.

You're just not taking this RRTY thing seriously are you?  ;)

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #495 on: 16 February, 2011, 02:15:26 pm »
Nagging head wind for a long time yesterday.
But 2 Feb 200's done - so current position for No7 - 10 done and for No8 2 done.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #496 on: 16 February, 2011, 02:46:31 pm »
Not sure how I'll do in this towards the end of the year but...

November '10 - Transporter 200
December '10 - Kings, castles, priests and churches (I think!) 200
January '11 - Cambrian series 2b perm 200
February '11 - Mr Pickwick takes flight 200

got rides entered up until July I think.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

mikewigley

« Reply #497 on: 25 February, 2011, 08:42:17 am »
(assuming starting a new year in the same month as finishing an old one is allowed)

Yes

AndyH

« Reply #498 on: 25 February, 2011, 08:50:03 am »
Not sure how I'll do in this towards the end of the year but...

November '10 - Transporter 200
December '10 - Kings, castles, priests and churches (I think!) 200
January '11 - Cambrian series 2b perm 200
February '11 - Mr Pickwick takes flight 200

got rides entered up until July I think.

You've done the hard bit.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #499 on: 25 February, 2011, 09:45:11 am »
23.2.11 Wye Wednesday 200
23.2.11 Wye Wednesday 200 was also my first of this year - was going OK from June last year until the snow of December and then January put the mockers on it all. But at least a RRTY will be some compensation if I go to France to merely watch PBP :facepalm:
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.